No announcement yet.

RIP RBG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unless you are Chuck Grassley and have been exposed to multiple colleagues who tested positive and just don't give a shit (lest you might not be able to vote for a reactionary Justice).

Comment

Hearing started today. I couldn't face watching any of it, but apparently Mike Lee, who is probably still infectious with covid, was speaking maskless. For political reasons, I hope the Democrats just go with this to demonstrate how ridiculously reckless the Republicans are being, and how this is being forced through without any of the normal consideration and process.

If they do have to ask Barrett any questions, I'd like them to ask fairly simply: "What should the consequences be for a supreme court justice who doesn't tell the truth during their hearing?", and then follow that up by asking if Trump asked her for any loyalty, and if Trump made any reference to potential election related court cases.

Comment

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1315659965865103360

Ted Cruz appeared remotely, as he is in self-isolation due to having come into contact with Lee.

Comment

As I’ve said before, if she is what counts as a great legal mind - and she may be, for all I know - than being a great legal mind isn’t worth much. If the right answer to the question is “make millions miserable to enrich a few,” then you’re asking the wrong question. It doesn’t take a philosopher to see that.

She supposedly said that the law should be what is written, not what judges believe it means. If that’s the case, then why do we need judges at all? If he wins, Biden should call the bluff on the “originalists” and point out that judicial review is not in the constitution so the Supreme Court can go fuck itself. See how that goes.
          Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 13-10-2020, 00:00.

Comment

Unfortunately - but fortunately for lawyers - the written law is often open to myriad interpretations.

Comment

But the whole conservative schtick is that it isn’t.

Comment

Whoever is doing the closed captioning for ACB's confirmation hearing isn't familiar with legal terminology. They just keep typing out whatever is phonetically closest; 'on bond' for 'en banc' is the latest.

Comment

I'm assuming that it is automated

Comment

I thought it might be, but there's a pronounced pause right before questionable words, like they're doing a 5-sec rewind to hear it again before typing.

Comment

Now they've changed a whole word: statute to legislation.

Comment

What does this mean? (in a nutshell, I don't want whoever answers to have to waste time on my limited understanding of key legal / constitutional areas)
                        https://twitter.com/J_Pettie/status/1316005467328569345

Comment

I didn't hear what she said. So this is my guess: Brown vs Board banned segregation in education. My assumption is that if - say - Alabama decided that black kids would get "better" educations for doing black people stuff without the distraction of white kids wanting to learn academic stuff, and a court case was brought because that's patently illegal, she would say that the original constitution never said anything about segregation in education, and therefore she thinks it should be down to the state, and nothing to do with federal government.

Comment

She isn't willing to declare Brown to be correctly decided, and given her "originalist" take on a number of other issues, there is genuine doubt as to how she would vote were it to come up again.

Comment

Thanks both

Fucking hell

Comment

I'm afraid that this isn't surprising in the least, given her public record on race

https://twitter.com/jillfilipovic/status/1316015142828556301

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                  She isn't willing to declare Brown to be correctly decided, and given her "originalist" take on a number of other issues, there is genuine doubt as to how she would vote were it to come up again.
                                  Has anyone asked her about Loving v Virginia or other 14th Amendment decisions? I'm guessing that she supports the right to discriminate because it wasn't in the original document. Are "originalists" basically arguing that all Amendents are invalid (except the 2nd of course)?

In the N-word case, I infer that she has parsed the word "created" in a way that was not intended by the framers of the law. She seems to be arguing that you can be inherently abusive towards a black person provided the environment was already "hostile" due to their alleged poor work record.

So if I want to call my colleague a N*****, I just need to pick someone whose work has already gotten them into a negative disciplinary position.

It's like she's in Mississippi circa 1954 around the time of Emmett Till's murder.
                                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 13-10-2020, 15:43.

Comment

Wow, the end of that ruling reads like, "lazy n***** should have just worked harder and there would have been no issues between him and his colleagues"

it's astounding

Comment

I don't think that anyone has asked her about Loving (which struck down anti-miscegenation laws), but many commentators think it is an an open question as to how she would rule.

She is extreme even by Federalist Society standards

Comment

Originalism:

Comment

If as an Originalist she believes that she has to apply the laws as the Founders conceived it, how can she be a judge? The Founders wouldn't have accepted a woman as a judge, and sure as hell not on the Supreme Court.

Comment

She's even worse than I thought

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1316132838010486785

Comment

WTF? Why have a constitution at all?

Comment

I call Georgia for Trump

https://twitter.com/clairecmc/status/1315691917817139206

Comment

On the other hand, those people are waiting in the line. Shows commitment.

Comment

That was yesterday - the first day of early voting. I'd be interested to see what it looks like in a couple of days time.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X