First Names Only Used in the USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

I had a cousin called Dale though he sadly died from cot death.
    My mum had an uncle Dale.

Comment

Two of my old art-school friends got together in the eighties and had a son named Dale. However, the next time I saw them, the baby's name had been changed to 'Dane'. Two years later, they had a second son - this one named Aden. At this point, I started to see a pattern emerging...

A further few years down the line, they informed me that they now also had a daughter. My suggestion that she might be called 'Edna' did not sit well.

Comment

I love the darkgreener names website. I've always been fascinated by names and their origins; I gave a talk on it aged 12. Over the last 20 years the variety of given names has increased hugely. There are at least two children in my daughter's class who, as far as I can tell, have completely unique names (the darkgreener website only shows names that have been given to three or more babies in any given year).

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
          Randy is Randolph,
          Or Randall

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
            Two of my old art-school friends got together in the eighties and had a son named Dale. However, the next time I saw them, the baby's name had been changed to 'Dane'. Two years later, they had a second son - this one named Aden. At this point, I started to see a pattern emerging...

A further few years down the line, they informed me that they now also had a daughter. My suggestion that she might be called 'Edna' did not sit well.
            It could also have been a geographical theme. Dean doesn't sound like a girl's name, but she could have had the anagram and be named after the forest, to go with the former capital of South Yemen, and a person from Denmark

Comment

I have a cousin called Lisa, who has twin girls called Lola and Layla, and a dog named Leela...

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
                My wife's name is Marcy, short for Marcia. Among my other female American friends are Jerri, Jenelle, Cyndee and Nicolette.
                I take it you're not a fan of classic Shut Up and Dance then?

Comment

There were 8 baby boys named Randy in the UK in 2008. Certainly not popular.

Comment

No record of any Chuck's or Bubba's in the UK (potentially as nicknames, but not as given names).

Comment

(Aaargggh! Apostrophes!)

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                      It could also have been a geographical theme. Dean doesn't sound like a girl's name, but she could have had the anagram and be named after the forest, to go with the former capital of South Yemen, and a person from Denmark
                      My best pal had an Aunty Dean, which I found vaguely amusing - I think it used to be a more common female name in South Wales. Aunty Dean's 'thing' was to pronounce the word 'steak' as 'steek' - and she'd apparently defend this assertion vehemently were anyone to laugh or pick her up on it. (My pal and I found this sufficiently hilarious to include it in a radio play we wrote some years back.)

(Viz my art school friends, I see what you're getting at there. However, there was later a third son: to this day I don't know his name, so 'Dean' seems likely there.)

Comment

23 baby Zeke's in 2015.

Comment

No record of any Fuzzy's or Muffy's, but there were 33 baby girl Missy's in 2004. Possibly influenced by Missy Elliott?

Comment

I had a close colleague called Dale at my old firm.

The US first name suite includes quite a few - ents that sound odd as first name to English people. I mentioned "Kent" already, there's also "Trent" (also mentioned above of course including our top footie player) and "Brent".

Comment

Three baby Buffy's in 2019, the only year that name registers at all in the UK.

Comment

There were three girls in successive years at my school whose names were Ruth, Rebecca and Rachel Redwood.

I can attest that this sort of alliteration isn't helpful. My two boys are called Dylan and Dorian, and I call them by the wrong name by accident at least twenty times every day. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to be negatively impacting upon them, and the nicknames they gave each other - Didi and Dodo - are pretty cute.

Comment

I can't be arsed to look up the awful individual, but I vaguely recall that none of the names of Sarah Palin's kids sounded like "proper" first names to me.

Comment

Brayden peaked at 181 baby boys in 2008.

Comment

678 baby boy Kayden's in 2012.

Comment

Payton is used mainly for girls in the UK, but also boys, peaking at 83 babies in 2010.

Comment

Middlesbrough have a Middlesbrough-born central defender called Dael.

Comment

Cooper seems to be on the rise, reaching 430 babies (9 girls, rest boys) in 2019.

Comment

So the UK is also becoming a Payton place.

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post
                                                Middlesbrough have a Middlesbrough-born central defender called Dael.
                                                That brings to mind the Black Country Meat Loaf tribute act called Maet Loaf.

Comment

Only 12 baby Dashiel's in total in the last 24 years, 3 in 2005, 4 in 2008, 5 in 2009. Maybe influenced by The Incredibles?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                                    Wade.

Although I imagine Deadpool may have inspired a few UK Wades now from a certain cadre of parents.
                                                    Wade has seen a bit of an increase, up to 49 baby boys in 2017.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X