Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whoa! Not going to Barbados

So..

With the decision of Barbados to become a republic by around this time next year, any screaming empire loyalists now intending to boycott the place and its products.

(sugar cane and rum, mainly, I seem to recall?)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ome-a-republic

I have no idea why any ex-colony would want the Queen as head of state unless its only source of wealth is tourism dollars which it gets from right-wing visitors.

Comment

bUt Teh eMpiRe!

Comment

They should do anyway for positive reasons, but I hope that all the remaining QEII headed countries clear off in an unmistakeable cluster now.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
          I have no idea why any ex-colony would want the Queen as head of state unless its only source of wealth is tourism dollars which it gets from right-wing visitors.
          It seems the Jamaican general election was a de facto referendum on QEII.

Comment

Have I missed something here? I can't find any mention in that link of any empire loyalists, screaming or otherwise, or of any suggestion for a boycott. Is there any, or is Guy just giving free rein to his imagination and "getting his retaliation in first"?

All the best to Barbados with their new arrangements, obvs.

Comment

It's Guy, EEG

Comment

I've yet to meet an Englishman who cares that Scotland might leave the UK, so I doubt that they'd care about somewhere saying goodbye to the queen

Comment

It was meant as a joke.

However, it seems the gammons have leapt onto idea.

BLM is globalised

Cut their aid budget

https://twitter.com/KristenClarkeJD/...70315953463297

Comment

Do Commonwealth countries actually get any money from the UK once they gain independence?

Comment

I love Barbados. It's literally like someone designed a tropical island just for me. Almost perfect weather all year round. White sandy beaches, which are all publicly owned, there's no such thing as a private beach on Barbados. Very few hurricanes. The national dish is macaroni pie (which is my favourite food). Everyone speaks English. You can swim with turtles in quite shallow water.

This latest news just makes me like and respect it even more.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                        I've yet to meet an Englishman who cares that Scotland might leave the UK, so I doubt that they'd care about somewhere saying goodbye to the queen
                        That's bit like the thing where people who identified as English were pro-Leave and as British were pro-Remain.

Comment

I just thought that he wanted to boast that he hadn't met me...

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                            The national dish is macaroni pie
                            Genuinely startled to discover that this is an actual dish anywhere outside Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                              Genuinely startled to discover that this is an actual dish anywhere outside Scotland.
                              Ah, it's a different type of macaroni pie. It doesn't have pastry. It's like really dense macaroni cheese with spicy tamarind sauce.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

Ah, it's a different type of macaroni pie. It doesn't have pastry. It's like really dense macaroni cheese with spicy tamarind sauce.
                                I have to try this!

Comment

Here's a recipe for it: https://barbados.org/barbados-recipe...m#.X2Mdx9_TU0M

It seems that the secret ingredients are evaporated milk, ketchup and mustard.

The tamarind sauce is served on the side.

The best thing is that every tiny cafe or street food stall serves its own version of it really cheaply and they're all very slightly different. I went for about ten days in 2012 and ate macaroni pie at least once a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                    The "big Asda" in Carlisle sells a lot of Scottish stuff (being only six miles from the border and the nearest big supermarket for a fair radius of rural Scotland) and as well as the 'normal' macaroni pie, they have a variant using Mexicana cheese.

Comment

A macaroni pie bought in Cellardyke was the saltiest thing I have ever eaten in my life and I'd include accidentally swallowed sea water in that.

Comment

Having just spent two weeks in Scotland, I'd like to assert that Scottish cuisine is the finest in all the world.

Comment

Two weeks? That is long.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                            I care, in a positive way, I hope that the current movement for independence wins.

I've met loads of English men who whine about how much they don't care. A lot. At every opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                              There was a fascinating episode of 99% Invisible on more or less this subject as it relates to Anguilla.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                                Two weeks? That is long.
                                                It was 12 days, plus travel. And it was brilliant.

Comment

Tell us ALL about it. NOW.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X