Whoa! Not going to Barbados

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

Ah, it's a different type of macaroni pie. It doesn't have pastry. It's like really dense macaroni cheese with spicy tamarind sauce.
    Sounds great, but potentially trickier to eat on an away day at Elgin City

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
      Tell us ALL about it. NOW.
      Day 1 - Carrbridge to Lybster via the Black Isle. Waterfalls, ruined churches, lighthouses, an oil rig graveyard, Dornoch golf course for the witch stone, Highland Clearances refugee village, and site of suffragette attacks on Asquith. Plus iron age brochs and fish and chips.

Day 2 - Lybster to Durness. Little Harbour, whaligoe steps, a ruined castle, John O'Groats and the better but less known Dunnet Head. Duncansby Stacks, Bettyshill beach watching the surf crash into the sand.

Day 3 - Durness to Kylesku Bridge. Durness beach, smoo cave, nine mile round hike to Sandwood Bay, red deer by the side of the road, a 10pm powercut in the guesthouse.

Day 4 - Kylesku Bridge to Harris. Storr lighthouse, a beach with loads of jellyfish and two annoying dickheads, Assynt Loch, haggis neeps and tatties pie, the Summer Isles, ferry from Ullapool to Stornoway, drive to Tarbert.

Day 5 - Harris. Tweed, lighthouse, got lost on a peat bog, white beaches with bright blue seas, the golden road, salami umami whisky.

Day 6 - Harris to Lewis. Hike to eagle observatory, two white-tailed eagles, neolithic standing stones, chess piece statue, two friendly dogs, piss-take dinner at the b&b.

Day 7 - Lewis to Torridon. Black House, black cottages, Butt of Lewis, ferry back to Ullapool, dolphins off the coast, more fish and chips, gorge and waterfall plunging deep into hell, drive through Torridon, big fucking weird castle air bnb owned by a German baron.

Day 8 - Torridon to Struy via Applecross. Big scary uphill drive, Highland Coos, Russian Arctic Convoy Museum to see if I could find owt about my Grandad, WW2 structures on the coast, log cabin.

Days 9, 10, 11 - Struy. Mooched about the cabin, Highland Wildlife Park to say goodbye to Hamish the Polar Bear, more deer, golden eagle in Glen Strathfarrar, hikes through Glen Affric which we called Ben Affleck, lots of food and drink.

Day 12 - Struy to Fort William. More golden eagle spotting but i think it was a buzzard this time, drive past Loch Ness, climbed halfway up Ben Nevis.

Day 13 - Fort William to Manchester. View of Ben Nevis, hike around old slate quarry, Glencoe loch and drive, bird of pray display in the Trossachs, long old fucking drive home.

I think that was it.

Comment

Wowzers. I'm exhausted just from reading that. Did you not rest at all?

Sounds fantastic. I'd love to do all that. Over a couple of months, mind.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
          Wowzers. I'm exhausted just from reading that. Did you not rest at all?

Sounds fantastic. I'd love to do all that. Over a couple of months, mind.
          My missus doesn't really do resting on holiday. That's what we do at home. It's called the North Coast 500 as that's how many miles it is. I drove over 2000 during the trip. There's a lot to see and do.

Comment

Does sound great. God I'm so tired of not going anywhere

Comment

I loved everything about Barbados except the bus drivers, who all seem determined to kill themselves and all their passengers. I came home and bought an Owari (sp?) board, Signora Rogin and I still enjoy the occasional game.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                There was a fascinating episode of 99% Invisible on more or less this subject as it relates to Anguilla.
                Thanks for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                  I loved everything about Barbados except the bus drivers, who all seem determined to kill themselves and all their passengers. I came home and bought an Owari (sp?) board, Signora Rogin and I still enjoy the occasional game.
                  If you ever make it to Buenos Aires, remind me to take you on the number 92 bus.

Comment

Working...
                  X