Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many cities with a population of more than 5 million have you visited?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just realized Taipei and Beijing aren’t on there either.

Comment

Originally posted by KyleRoteJr. View Post
      I just realized Taipei and Beijing aren’t on there either.
      Beijing is #8

Comment

Thread tangent: of the ones you've not visited, which would be top of your bucket list?

Comment

Wiki claims the population Taipei is 2.646 million.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
            Beijing is #8
            Thanks. My bad.

Comment

I was surprised to find Berlin wasn't on that list with a population of 3-4 million.

I thought it was larger

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                Tactical Genius must be able to knock Lagos off
                I'd guess cantagalo will have been to Belo Horizonte
                Can't believe no-one here has been to Riyadh. Former member Lodzubelieveit worked in Saudi for a bit, but he's no longer around. Other former (banned) member Linus will have been to Baghdad, I'll wager, but not sure about anyone else. I just checked the recent Guadalajara thread and all the respondents were of the "I haven't been but i know someone who has" variety. But steveeeeeeeee will soon be able to cross it off the list.
                Yes, put me down for Belo Horizonte!

Other than that, 17.

I'm concerned that I haven't even heard of most of those Chinese cities.

Last edited by cantagalo; 15-09-2020, 09:50.

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post

Yes, put me down for Belo Horizonte!
                  Added, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                    Wiki claims the population Taipei is 2.646 million.
                    But a little bit further down, it says the metro, or "urban," population is 8,535,000.

I thought the list in the OP was going by metro population. For example, Los Angeles, Chicago and Dallas are listed by wiki as having populations of 3,979,576, 2,695,598 and 1,197,816, respectively, within those cities proper. But their metro populations are all well over 5M. Atlanta is on the 5M-plus list, but the city proper has a population of only 420,003.

As you said, the list isn't perfect.

Comment

I can claim Riyadh, albeit all I saw was the airport, a car, a hotel and a government office for a couple of days

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                        I was surprised to find Berlin wasn't on that list with a population of 3-4 million.

I thought it was larger
                        The same 'city limits' definition that has Berlin at just 3.7m also has Paris at just 2.1m and Barcelona at 1.6. The OP is a very weird list.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

The same 'city limits' definition that has Berlin at just 3.7m also has Paris at just 2.1m and Barcelona at 1.6. The OP is a very weird list.
                          By it's own definition the Wiki list on the OP uses different criteria for city popuation. It's hard to fathom, in some case it's the city proper, in some cases the greater urban area. Barcelona stands out- the 5.4m population compares to 1.6m in the city proper.

This list gives one US city with a population over 5m
                          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_population

My big take away from this is the enormity of population centres in China (and India). There seems to be the best part of 100m in the greater Guangzhou connurbation

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post

I'm concerned that I haven't even heard of most of those Chinese cities.
                            Though you might have heard of Tsingtao, Chungking, etc.

Apart from travel, I suppose sport would be my most effective geography teacher. So we need that game 39, don't we?

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post

By it's own definition the Wiki list on the OP uses different criteria for city popuation. It's hard to fathom, in some case it's the city proper, in some cases the greater urban area. Barcelona stands out- the 5.4m population compares to 1.6m in the city proper.

My big take away from this is the enormity of population centres in China (and India). There seems to be the best part of 100m in the greater Guangzhou connurbation
                              Barcelona is most definitely a smaller city than Berlin, the 5.4 million Metro upper limit stretches across scrubland hills and mountains.

Comment

Originally posted by gavc23 View Post
                                I can claim Riyadh, albeit all I saw was the airport, a car, a hotel and a government office for a couple of days
                                Added, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post

That list feels more like it for the US ones. Atlanta certainly doesn't feel much bigger than Leeds.
                                  Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 15-09-2020, 12:18.

Comment

Paris, London and Singapore.

Paris is a weird one as I have been four or five times basically as a day tripper, so have eaten sit down meals, heard waiters be snooty about vin americain but never slept there.

Comment

I'll claim Pune too if it's still unclaimed? As another poster commented, it's a surprise to see it on the list to be honest. Perhaps the last census took place during an OSHO recruitment drive?

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post
                                        I'll claim Pune too if it's still unclaimed? As another poster commented, it's a surprise to see it on the list to be honest. Perhaps the last census took place during an OSHO recruitment drive?
                                        Added, thanks.

Comment

Put me down for Lagos. Lived there for an entire year in 1985.
                                          At the time, Ibadan was the largest city in Sub-Saharan Africa

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                                            Put me down for Lagos. Lived there for an entire year in 1985.
                                            At the time, Ibadan was the largest city in Sub-Saharan Africa
                                            Added thanks.

Which means there are 11 unclaimed cities left, with Lahore being the largest.

Comment

My sister lived in Lahore for a couple of years though I don't think she'd be willing to join OTF just to help us completists.

Comment

Slightly uncivil of her, what?

Comment

Looks like we'll have to organise a field trip, then. I would like to go Lahore quite a lot actually.

Originally posted by tee rex View Post

Though you might have heard of Tsingtao, Chungking, etc.
                                                  I was thinking along those lines. Most people have heard of Canton*. But it's true that there are a lot of very large cities in China (and India; eg Surat) that are off the average westerners radar. This is probably down to a mix of general ignorance, changing paradigms in geography education - more focussed on "why" and "how" rather than 'facts' - and a need for most of us oldies to recalibrate. I took the list down to 1 million+ for India as it's somewhere I thought I knew a bit about. I found a few I can't recall hearing about and half a dozen more I couldn't have placed on a map beyond a general "sounds like the east," but I bet I could have named most of the world's cities with more than a million people in 1975.

*Actually, is that true? Most people my age have. Maybe I shouldn't assume...

Comment

I'm genuinely humbled to have visited somewhere that Ad Hoc and Balderdasha haven't

Comment

Working...
                                                    X