The Scots Wikipedia controversy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Scots Wikipedia controversy

It has emerged in recent days that at least a third of all articles written on the Scots language version of Wikipedia were written by an American teenager with no knowledge of the hamely tongue, essentially writing a pastiche which was neither fish nor fowl.

In recent times, Scots had achieved somewhat of an academic revival, with the Open University even offering a MOOC promoting its cultural influence, but this week's controversy could inflict significant damage on its linguistic reputation, with native speakers struggling to repair its historical cachet.

Brony bastirt bas.

Comment

Paragraphs?

Are you ok, DR?

Comment

The best bit is that people have been training machine learning by using it as a source so pretty much all that translation stuff is wrong.

Comment

D'o(c)h
          Last edited by ursus arctos; 27-08-2020, 14:11.

Comment

Oor Wee Kipedia?

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
              Brony bastirt bas.
              19's usually too young to be a brony.

Comment

It's on his wiki profile. Brony and INDP (I'm guessin myles Briggs pseudo science)

Comment

"The Scots Wikipedia Controversy" sounds like a second rate Ealing Comedy trading in all kinds of offensive stereotypes. Terry Thomas would definitely star.

Comment

John Laurie reprising his 39 Steps role.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                      It's on his wiki profile. Brony and INDP (I'm guessin myles Briggs pseudo science)
                      I didn't want to delve too deep to be honest with you. Most bronies are of an age where they would have dismissed the 80s original as "too girlie".

Comment

Sorry but how can anyone keep a straight face when thinking of this story?

Comment

I find it the linguistic equivalent of the old lady in Spain who wanted to restore the fresco of Jesus

Comment

Working...
                          X