Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nice New Outfit - the OTF clothes thread (ouch)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice New Outfit - the OTF clothes thread (ouch)

Something for EIM, a mustard corduroy shirt:

https://www.thehipstore.co.uk/produc...-shirt/216028/

Being more conservative I bought the dark blue version

Apologies to Fugazi for using one of their songs in the name of reckless expenditure

?90 for a shirt?

wow.

Comment

I know, but to be fair they are a Portuguese company who manufacture all their stuff in Portugal so at least the people who produce it are getting a proper wage. I'll happily spend the money on companies who manufacture locally as opposed to the likes of Ralph Lauren and Armani who charge a fortune for shite branding on stuff made in China.
      Last edited by Gert from the Well; 24-08-2020, 16:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
        ?90 for a shirt?

wow.
        I know. A bargain.

Comment

I have been rocking my not so tight Finisterre workman trousers recently. Good stuff from a great UK company with excellent ethics.

Comment

Mrs Gert really likes their stuff, and you're right in terms of ethics they are the nearest the UK has to Patagonia. I just wish they wouldn't manufacture the jackets, which are excellent, in China.

Have you heard of Community Clothing? Another great UK company that make affordable clothing that is all manufactured in the UK.

Comment

If we are turning this into the ethical clothing thread, can I give a shout out to Howies (https://howies.co.uk/) which, if it's not from charity shops, most of my wardrobe is from. Want to try Community Clothing at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post
                I have been rocking my not so tight Finisterre workman trousers recently. Good stuff from a great UK company with excellent ethics.
                Dominic Cummings was snapped wearing Finisterre during his Durham trip fallout. Their stock plummeted faster than New Balance's after David Cameron started wearing them.

Comment

I can't remember the last time that I bought clothes.

Comment

Benefit of working from home?

Comment

Nah, age and lack of interest. Which is probably the same thing. I'll be interested to see if I need new trousers once I start wearing them again, as I've lost some weight over the last few months.

Comment

I've never had any great interest in clothes, TBH, but I do find that the one brand that I keep going back to is Mantaray, which I think must be some sort of inexpensive Debenhams in-house operation but which nevertheless really appeals.

I'm going to ask the huge question as to what clothes or styles OTFers favour and what our family and friends' considered views on our choices are? I mention the latter because, frankly, I'm constantly bemused by the mismatch between what I think I look good in and what others do. To give one example, I've got a sort of black, tight-fitting, long-sleeved, deep-V-necked knitted top that I don't really like but which my wife and daughter absolutely adore. And when I think about it, it's surprising how often I observe such mismatches in others.

Why is it that people, so often, fail to see how good they look in clothes that they themselves don't like or are a bit hurt that others aren't as impressed with some new item of much-loved clothing as they are?

Comment

I never expect to be complimented on what I wear.

Comment

Should have been The threads thread, surely.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
                              Should have been The threads thread, surely.
                              There's already a couple of Threads threads...

Comment

Only thing I’ve bought since lockdown is an ‘Art of Football’ historic Gladbach kits t-shirt.

I certainly didn’t need another t-shirt but couldn’t pass up the opportunity.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Gert from the Well View Post
                                    I know, but to be fair they are a Portuguese company who manufacture all their stuff in Portugal so at least the people who produce it are getting a proper wage. I'll happily spend the money on companies who manufacture locally as opposed to the likes of Ralph Lauren and Armani who charge a fortune for shite branding on stuff made in China.
                                    Portuguese Flannel stuff is great, but La Paz is my current goto Portuguese brand. It's all part of me pretending to be a sailor or fisherman or something. I got a lovely coral pink needlecord overshirt from them, and the detailing and finish is overwhelming. Granted, it's coral pink so I'll never get to wear it, but owning it makes me happy.

Next purchase will be the Fjallraven vardag anorak in mustard. I'm smitten, like one of those Romantic Poet creeps.

Bought some adidas Saint Florent the other day. A remake of the Korsica, a sort of orthopaedic boat shoe. The sort of shoe you'd see advertised in the back of the Mail on Sunday magazine, if the Mail on Sunday was printed by Lake Como.

Comment

I've got a mustard/yellow station jacket from Far Afield, bought just before they changed their sizing in a successful bid to shake off my custom.

It is lovely but the overlap of days when it feels bright enough to wear a non-waterproof yellow jacket with days when it is cool enough to need one is limited.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                        I never expect to be complimented on what I wear.

Really? You don't expect your partner or son to occasionally say that they like something that you're wearing or, equally or even more likely (from my experience), that you might want to reconsider your sartorial decision?
                                        Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 25-08-2020, 11:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                          Really? You don't expect you're partner or son to occasionally say that they like something that you're wearing or, equally or even more likely (from my experience), that you might want to reconsider your sartorial decision?
                                          They've given up on me! Nah, I wear the same sort of clothes all the time except for very formal occasions, and I'm really not bothered. To take it further: though respecting those people for whom clothes are important, I would never spend 90 quid on a shirt (in fact, I can't remember the last time I bought a shirt. I have three shirts which I rarely wear. T-shirts are much more comfy). For the equivalent of 90 quid, I can treat the three of us here to a good menu del dia, order the new edition of Imperial Wax Solvent, have a few beers with my train driver mate, and hit the local second-hand bookshops for some interesting reading material. And most of this outlay is going to local businesses.
                                          Last edited by Sporting; 25-08-2020, 11:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Gert from the Well View Post
                                            Mrs Gert really likes their stuff, and you're right in terms of ethics they are the nearest the UK has to Patagonia. I just wish they wouldn't manufacture the jackets, which are excellent, in China.

Have you heard of Community Clothing? Another great UK company that make affordable clothing that is all manufactured in the UK.
                                            I’ve got a Community Clothing pea coat which I adore and a raincoat by them. I was so impressed that I bought some of their socks. The patterned and walking docks are totally fine but the black ‘everyday’ socks are appalling.

Comment

I've been swanning about in jeans, shorts and old t shirts for years. Post divorce spending priorities don't include clothes.

But for some reason I splashed out on a long, dark check, heavy raincoat in a sale last winter, just like the one I wore nearly 40 years ago in my old Joy Division days when I had hair and cared a bit.

My daughters both say it looks great. It also has the advantage of hiding the rest of my shabby shit, although I might need some proper shoes.

Sort of looking forward to winter though for once.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post

Next purchase will be the Fjallraven vardag anorak in mustard. I'm smitten, like one of those Romantic Poet creeps.
                                                That anorak's lovely, EIM. I love Fjallraven's stuff. I've got a Greenland jacket which I've worn almost every day between September and March for the last five years, and it still looks good as new.

I bought one of their Yupik parkas last winter, which is pretty much their warmest without going into the polar expedition. Even so, it's the warmest jacket I've ever owned and has been fantastic for wind-swept Essex non-league grounds and a December trip to Montreal.

I think I'll have both of them for the rest of my life, so long as I don't expand too much around the waist...

Comment

My most expensive clothing is my suits. If you're wearing something all day, best make sure it fits comfortably and will last a long time.

I am also currently wearing the shoes I got married in, 13 years ago today. Spend money on good shoes, folks!

Comment

Working...
                                                  X