Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coach

I got an email from a friend who's working on becoming a leadership coach and is looking for clients. What the hell is a leadership coach?

Somebody like this.

Comment

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/ma...aching-2275823

Comment

I’ve known two people who described themselves as lifestyle or business coaches or something in between. They’re hard to pin down on precisely the term they use for what they do because I think they already know how loaded the term is.

Anyway, they were both people who were evidence of their own lack of skills in the area. Or at best, they were people who didn’t take their own advice.

Comment

Hot Pepsi - Beauty!

Comment

HP - that was great, I was crying with laughter.

Comment

Anyway, thanks for the info UA, but I have to confess that I still don't really get it. Probably one of those that I'll never really understand, and maybe also related to why I'll never be in charge of much myself.

Comment

Part of the reason I posted that "detailed" description was that I was quite sure that it would be largely incomprehensible to anyone who already wasn't at least knee deep in contemporary business and management theory.

At its core, the idea is to provide individualised instruction designed to make white collar employees better managers and "leaders", but just what that entails can be very opaque, especially as it is taken as given that the process does not involve any type of educational instruction or any thing that could possibly be described as therapy.

And yet there are a lot of people who operate in these circles that swear by it and a ton of organisations that spend a lot of money on it.

Comment

My husband does some work that is similar to this. There are a lot of charlatans in the arena who as San Bernardhinault implies have failed in other areas of their life and ended up as lifestyle coaches as a default backup. However, if done well it might involve aspects of:
                  - helping managers to understand different personality and communication styles, and training them to tailor their responses accordingly (e.g. some people want everything presented as swiftly as possible in three bullet points, others want to see all the data that backs up your proposition, others want to have a five minute chat about their home life to bond before discussing anything work related)
                  - a bit of training on time management and prioritisation skills
                  - training people how to say "no" to unreasonable workloads or edicts from above in a way that doesn't make them seem obstructive
                  - helping people to prepare presentations, and how to sell their message through storytelling skills
                  - an overview of some psychological research, and helping people understand how that can mean that projects either get stuck or can move forward
                  - teaching people different methods for helping teams to come up with new ideas, or for helping a team to get to know each other better
                  ​​​​​​
                  My husband has a psychology masters degree, which is how he got into this area. Plenty of coaches instead have spurious coaching qualifications, of which there are many.

Comment

I was assigned a 'coach' recently, after I complained about my boss's behaviour but the complaint was not upheld. HR thought it might help 'reframe' my relationships. I was booked in for6 sesions, with the first two consisting of me (57) telling a 27-year-old of my work experiences and her saying 'amazing' every 20 seconds. The third session I accidentally ate some of my latest batch of weed cake an hour before and told her that I just needed to be less confrontational and chill the fuck out. I cancelled the last three sessions, although she has tried to reinstate them.

I felt it was a way of the organisation demonstrating that they were doing something for their difficult cases without upsetting the apple cart. Three of my best friends in the organisation went through the same process - two found it beneficial

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                      My husband does some work that is similar to this. There are a lot of charlatans in the arena who as San Bernardhinault implies have failed in other areas of their life and ended up as lifestyle coaches as a default backup. However, if done well it might involve aspects of:
                      - helping managers to understand different personality and communication styles, and training them to tailor their responses accordingly (e.g. some people want everything presented as swiftly as possible in three bullet points, others want to see all the data that backs up your proposition, others want to have a five minute chat about their home life to bond before discussing anything work related)
                      - training people how to say "no" to unreasonable workloads or edicts from above in a way that doesn't make them seem obstructive
                      - helping people to prepare presentations, and how to sell their message through storytelling skills
                      - an overview of some psychological research, and helping people understand how that can mean that projects either get stuck or can move forward
                      - teaching people different methods for helping teams to come up with new ideas, or for helping a team to get to know each other better
                      ​​​​​​
                      My husband has a psychology masters degree, which is how he got into this area. Plenty of coaches instead have spurious coaching qualifications, of which there are many.
                      This sounds like something I could use.

Comment

The odds are against a coach working if you are assigned one and don't willingly seek one out.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                          ​​​​​​
                          This seems a lot clearer than UA's link to me. Thanks.
                          I might mention this to my ceo then, some of this looks to be up his alley so he may have some interest or know someone who does.

Comment

Working...
                          X