No announcement yet.

What's your favourite dinosaur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By dinosaur do we mean the specific and precise definition, or what we generally refer to as dinosaurs?

'Cos it's got to be the pteradon.

Comment

Some dino news from South Wales

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...d-19731097.amp

Comment

That's incredible. Here's the perfect 215 million-year-old footprint found by a 4-year-old girl on the seashore between Barry and Sully, for those who don't want to click through to the wretched hive of clickbait and villainy that is Wales Online.

Comment

The clarity of the impression is amazing, isn't it.

BBC story here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55863928

Comment

Yes, if I'd seen that (and it's only a couple of miles away from where I am), I genuinely think I'd have dismissed it as just the results of an artist or someone cocking around. It looks absolutely too pristine to be real.

Comment

Pleased to see, incidentally, that linked BBC article includes a video of Dippy's visit from the Natural History Museum to the National Museum of Wales last year, where I went to see him/her twice for the first time in years.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                for those who don't want to click through to the wretched hive of clickbait and villainy that is Wales Online.
                Yeah, sorry about that.

Have you seen the Penarth Dinosaur exhibit at the National Museum, VA?

Comment

Hehe, don't worry my adblocker caught most of it.

Do you mean the Dracoraptor there, PT? Yes, if so – it had its own little exhibition display just next to where they were displaying Dippy in the main entrance hall, which I looked at with interest when I was there last year.

(Do I mean last year? If so it must be nearly a full year ago now, as I haven't been into Cardiff since early March at the latest.)

Edit: Yes, just found the photos: it was a year ago this week, in fact!
                  I was sure it couldn't be 2019 as I recall wearing a woolly hat in the museum that I only got given that Christmas – but it still feels odd and a bit unreal in retrospect that in late January I was still merrily popping into the city centre to mix with hundreds of other people.
                  Last edited by Various Artist; 30-01-2021, 13:12.

Comment

Yes, that's the one. Next to the gift shop. I didn't get to see Dippy. I missed the Chinese Dinosaurs exhibition a few years back as well. I love the National Museum whenever I go in there and then suffer a kind of blank when exhibitions come along.

Comment

https://twitter.com/CNNAfrica/status/1516891231737069570?t=_g57EIgS5Z-4OHd9bxKlmQ&s=19

Comment

That’s cool. And on the subject of feathered dinosaurs these cassowaries cane up on my FB feed today,

Comment

Cassowaries are big up close and have that eye contact thing going on which is bird speak for "turn around muthafucker and I'll have your guts".

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                            Cassowaries are big up close and have that eye contact thing going on which is bird speak for "turn around muthafucker and I'll have your guts".
                            Yes I believe they are capable of a bit of Velociraptor action with those big claws. Lovely things though.

Comment

Dychosaurus Exturfmoorus

Comment

^Known for its throaty growl.

When I was a kid, I lived quite close to Howlett's zoo park near Canterbury. Owner John Aspinall had a couple of cassowaries that were indeed big and surly pieces of work: one once stuck its head through a fence and made one of my school friends wet himself. (I wasn't there to witness this, but suffice to say that the tale 'did the rounds' back in class.)

Unfortunately, this was pre- the 'dinosaurs-are-birds' school of thinking, so I didn't really make that connection. When at primary school, I was happy to toe the line that they were still very much terrifying scaly reptiles as depicted in all my books - and indeed VA's posts upthread.

Comment

Dinosaurs are dead! Finished! Get over it, people!

Comment

One could argue the same about Manchester United, yet somehow...

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                      One could argue the same about Manchester United, yet somehow...
                                      I've already proposed their dissolution until everyone grows the fuck up a bit. What more do you want from me?

Comment

A little respect toward the most successful group of living creatures ever to inhabit this planet, perhaps?

Comment

What, ants?

Comment

We have an "Australian Birds" calender (sent to me by my cousin in NSW) and April's bird is a cassowary complete with the normal cassowary expression of red-eyed indignant malevolence.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                              We have an "Australian Birds" calender
                                              That would have been a completely different product if it had come free with Loaded.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                                That would have been a completely different product if it had come free with Loaded.
                                                This thought crossed my mind too...

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                                  ^Known for its throaty growl.
                                                  Surviving on a diet of worms and gravel. Of course, Strepsils did not exist 65 million years ago.

Comment

Capable of withstanding extremely cold temperatures, though.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X