Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steg!

Comment

I think Ankylosaurus was also my sister’s favourite - given that it was my insistence that all family members had to have a ‘favourite dinosaur’ when I was seven years old. (My mother plumped for Archaeopteryx - which I had to allow - and my dad eventually gave in and selected Scelidosaurus just to get me off his back.)

There were a fair few herbivorous dinosaurs that were armed to the hilt, but Ankylosaurus had it all really: bony shell, spikes, massive club-tail. And now the hype to go with it.

Comment

Dyathinkhesaurus - the one eyed dinosaur

Comment

Victorian scientists really liked to show off that they’d learned Greek and Latin at prep school, didn’t they?

Comment

Comment

Take your pick...

Comment

I imagine I’m about to be told it’s not a dinosaur, or wasn’t called that, or had feathers or something, but I’m channeling my 6-year-old self with the Pteranadon.

Comment

Gerontophile lovely to see you!

Comment

As the remains of dinosaurs that have been found consist of bones and fossils, is it certain that they had the scaly, lizardy skin that is always shown in pictures? Is it possible that instead they may have had bright pink fluffy feathers?

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                      I imagine I’m about to be told it’s not a dinosaur, or wasn’t called that, or had feathers or something, but I’m channeling my 6-year-old self with the Pteranadon.

Pteranodon is a pterosaur rather than a dinosaur. But I don’t think it’d be in the spirit of the thread not to include it on those grounds.

Comment

Yes, I’m working on the assumption that if it was in my Dad’s PG Tips card collection it’s allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by Favourite Worst Nightmare View Post
                          As the remains of dinosaurs that have been found consist of bones and fossils, is it certain that they had the scaly, lizardy skin that is always shown in pictures? Is it possible that instead they may have had bright pink fluffy feathers?
                          I think the consensus view has shifted more toward the latter, but the big ones wouldn’t have had fluffy feathers. They would have been warm enough without them.

Like I said, in school in the early 80s, we were told they were cold-blooded reptiles. I’m not sure that was even the scientific consensus at the time. All of my teachers went to school in the 70s and 60s.

The understanding that dinosaurs were birds and not reptiles emerged in the 60s and 70s. I suspect kids and elementary teachers these days are much more clued in to current science, but in my day, the teachers didn’t know much more than our books, many of which were from the 50s or earlier.

Comment

Feeling a bit persecuted here. I'm only a weak anagram, lay off.

We like to claim New Zealand has a living dinosaur, but it's a stretch ...

https://www.nzgeo.com/stories/tuatar...-dinosaur-age/

Comment

I read somewhere that velociraptors had iridescent black feathers like crows or ravens, which makes them utterly fucking terrifying imo.

I read the recent book by Steven Brusatte. It was alright. Could have done with more descriptions of dinosaurs and fewer descriptions of him going on the piss with paleontologists.

Despite reading a book for grown ups ankylosaurus is still my favourite. I imagine they were quite harmless, docile creatures that would make quite good guard pets.

Comment

Brontosaurus.

Comment

I can say my least favourite dinosaur is a Stigymoloch, because that doesn’t sound like a name for a dinosaur.

if I had to pick now it’d be Dimetrodon because they have a big solar panel sail on the back.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post

Likewise that Ireland ever had dinosaurs, but tetrapods were only ever a distant relation:

http://www.valentiaisland.ie/explore...apod-trackway/

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post

Likewise that Ireland ever had dinosaurs, but tetrapods were only ever a distant relation:
                                      There are quite a few dinosaurs in Stormont, despite the fact that they don't actually believe they ever existed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                        Yes, I’m working on the assumption that if it was in my Dad’s PG Tips card collection it’s allowed.
                                        Fair dos - I had those, too. And the 1970 Crosse & Blackwell collection, despite my lifetime loathing of baked beans. (People on here are so damned young...)

Originally posted by tee rex View Post

You can have that - the tuatara is quality. I’d take one over an iguana any day. New Zealand seems to get most things right.

Comment

Originally posted by gavc23 View Post
                                          I can say my least favourite dinosaur is a Stigymoloch, because that doesn’t sound like a name for a dinosaur.

if I had to pick now it’d be Dimetrodon because they have a big solar panel sail on the back.
                                          Stygimoloch is an awesome name if you translate it, though – it basically means 'horned demon from the river of death', as in Moloch and Styx, respectively. It's a 'dubious genus', though – the specimens named as such are more commonly though to be Pachycephalosaurus now.

And Dimetrodon wasn't a dinosaur, it was a member of a separate group of ancient reptiles that lived before the time of the dinosaurs – as alluded to by JW already:
                                          Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                          (One could argue that Dimetrodon was a pelycosaur rather than dinosaur, but that would be fatuous.)

For some decades, it's been Deinonychus for me:

https://i.imgur.com/nqArgDq.jpg

(The raptors in Jurassic Park movies more closely resemble the classic Deinonychus than they do Velociraptor or similar (Oviraptor, Ornitholestes), if truth be told.)

Although since seeing its fossil remains in 1989, I've tended to favour the remarkable Mamenchisaurus, whose neck accounted for more than half its entire length:

https://www.newdinosaurs.com/401_mam...ey_krasovskiy/

Sauropods (the docile chaps with the long necks and tails) definitely have the best names, though: Gigantosaurus, Supersaurus, Ultrasaurus, Argentinosaurus and my personal favourite, Sauroposeidon (who I gather now holds the record for 'longest neck').

(VA to thread, obviously.)
                                          I wish you'd @-ed me in at the time, Jah – it's taken me a full week to discover this thread, having not been on the boards much lately to spot it, and I only stumbled across it by catching up on its parent thread and seeing the link there!

Boring to say, but you still can't beat Tyrannosaurus, for me.

I've certainly got a soft spot for Deinonychus though since it was one of the most terrifying ones to me from reading dinosaur books as a kid, and I kind of resent/sympathise with how it's been booted out of its spot in the public consciousness in favour of its lesser cousin Velociraptor as a direct result of the success of Jurassic Park – all the more so since, as you say, the JP raptors were more like Deinonychus anyway.

An odd outlier, meanwhile. One truly frightening picture in one of my childhood dino books (which was of a fair vintage before I ever owned it, crucially) was of a beast, in its own words, like something out of a nightmare – Antrodemus. That's the dinosaur that everywhere else is infinitely more commonly and famously known as Allosaurus, the great Jurassic theropod carnosaur and stock 'top predator' in the age before the mighty Cretaceous tyrannosaurids. For half a century up to the 1970s, I believe, the two were synonymous and hence it was known by the older name.. but then some palaeontologist pointed out that the identification of the fossils bearing that name had been based on frankly indeterminate features. So the Allosaurus moniker returned, as it was only the bones identified as such that were actually definitely identifiable as this dinosaur. Still a great dinosaur under any name, but it'll never compare with the cooler-sounding and scarier-looking version I knew as a small boy.

Comment

I can't decide between diplodocus or brontosaurus.

Comment

if Yoshi's here then I demand space for Wallace Shawn

https://twitter.com/b1g_damage/status/1300210161773092866?s=20

Comment

I’d go with the former, FF. Brontosaurus - which ‘did’ apparently exist alongside Apatosaurus (with whom it for many years became synonymous) - was in most aspects far less impressive than the Diplodocus. The latter, whose name means ‘double beam’, was for a couple of twentieth-century decades considered the longest dinosaur.

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                                Stygimoloch is an awesome name if you translate it, though – it basically means 'horned demon from the river of death', as in Moloch and Styx, respectively. It's a 'dubious genus', though – the specimens named as such are more commonly though to be Pachycephalosaurus now.

And Dimetrodon wasn't a dinosaur, it was a member of a separate group of ancient reptiles that lived before the time of the dinosaurs – as alluded to by JW already:
                                                I wish you'd @-ed me in at the time, Jah – it's taken me a full week to discover this thread, having not been on the boards much lately to spot it, and I only stumbled across it by catching up on its parent thread and seeing the link there!

Boring to say, but you still can't beat Tyrannosaurus, for me.

I've certainly got a soft spot for Deinonychus though since it was one of the most terrifying ones to me from reading dinosaur books as a kid, and I kind of resent/sympathise with how it's been booted out of its spot in the public consciousness in favour of its lesser cousin Velociraptor as a direct result of the success of Jurassic Park – all the more so since, as you say, the JP raptors were more like Deinonychus anyway.

An odd outlier, meanwhile. One truly frightening picture in one of my childhood dino books (which was of a fair vintage before I ever owned it, crucially) was of a beast, in its own words, like something out of a nightmare – Antrodemus. That's the dinosaur that everywhere else is infinitely more commonly and famously known as Allosaurus, the great Jurassic theropod carnosaur and stock 'top predator' in the age before the mighty Cretaceous tyrannosaurids. For half a century up to the 1970s, I believe, the two were synonymous and hence it was known by the older name.. but then some palaeontologist pointed out that the identification of the fossils bearing that name had been based on frankly indeterminate features. So the Allosaurus moniker returned, as it was only the bones identified as such that were actually definitely identifiable as this dinosaur. Still a great dinosaur under any name, but it'll never compare with the cooler-sounding and scarier-looking version I knew as a small boy.
                                                VA, I can only apologise. I’d wondered why you weren’t all over this thread as well...

But please tell me that the book to which you allude was Dinosaurs and More Dinosaurs (possibly since retitled)? My mother bought me that from the school paperback club when I was five (ie, when it was published - old ghet that I am) and the illustrations within it utterly captivated me, so vivid and terrifying were they - particularly that of Antrodemus. This was indeed the tome that cemented my dino-obsession. My original copy has long since fallen apart, but I found another edition via eBay about a decade ago. The years, they simply rolled back. (I’d embed it here if I could ever seem to do that successfully.)

This is your cue to say that it wasn’t that book at all, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                                                  I can't decide between diplodocus or brontosaurus.
                                                  The most famous skeleton I know, the one in the Carnegie Museum that is/was replicated by Britain's Natural History Museum, is a Diplodocus.
                                                  It's affectionately known as Dippy, which tends to give it pet-like qualities ? la Dino from the Flintstones, though the food bill would be somewhat extortionate, and the size of the pet bed doesn't bear thinking about.

Comment

I'm not sure which particular species Dino would've been - possibly a Plateosaurus, an early bipedal prosauropod from the late Triassic Period.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plateosaurus

This, of course, somehow makes the geological accuracy of The Flintstones even more unwieldy - entertaining though it was. (I love how homo sapiens' default position is to assume that 'all' prehistory happened simultaneously. After all, we established on a previous discussion that the length of time between the end of the Cretaceous Period and modern day is only around a third as long as the entire age of dinosaurs per se.)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X