Jesus as an historical figure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The inconsistent details aren't the story though. They are the result of oral history. We get that even today in biographies, where one source might disagree with another on the details, but agree on the main points.
    But the gospels were all written anonymously, the traditional attributions are dodgy, and none of the authors claims to be an eyewitness. Eyewitness accounts are better than secondhand, and multiple eyewitnesses are essential, but the gospels give no solid indication of being other than secondhand reports of eyewitnesses. Anybody can make up what an 'eyewitness' told them, and anybody can claim to be an eyewitness to a secondhand reporter, who could have no way of establishing if that were the case.

I wasn't disputing that the gospels agree on the main events: if you think your book is likely to be read by people who will have heard about Jesus and you aren't interested in presenting a contrary narrative, you're likely to get the main parts right. It seems clear that shortly after Jesus' execution a story went around that he'd turned up. That's the story, and a gospel writer a few decades later is going to build from that.

And I didn't have in mind nitpicky details so much as inconsistencies of theological import, which pretty clearly derive from different authorial motivations, e.g. especially, the different Jesus presented in John versus the Synoptic gospels. I think with John you have to conclude that stuff is just being made up willy nilly. Matthew doesn't describe Jesus as God, or have Jesus describing himself as God. Why not?

One technique of interrogating the validity of writings for which supporting evidence is inconclusive is the principle of embarrassment -- the aspects which you would edit out if you were trying make up a story for the purposes of propaganda.

The gospels are full of these. Peter's betrayal of Jesus (the leader of the sect was a disloyal coward!), for example.

Or the nature of Jesus' crucifixion, a method of executing that was seen as particularly humiliating -- a good stoning would have been more dignified for the Son of God; a crucifixion represented a stumbling block in terms of propaganda.

Or the discovery of the empty tomb by women, whose testimony was seen as worthless. If you wanted your claims to have credibility, you'd place a bunch of men at the scene.

And so it is with the inconsistencies in the gospel narratives. The fact that these were not excised or edited indicates that the Church Fathers (none of them gullible idiots) let them stand because the gospels agree on the important stuff.
    You left out the biggest one, the hoax that Jesus was born of a virgin, which I can't imagine having been made up for reasons other than to explain his illegitimacy. I.e. certain embarrassing details, like Joseph being useless, could just have been papering over even more embarrassing ones, like that he was a cuckold.

Reading between the lines of Peter's denial and Judas's betrayal, and using common sense, it's clear things got messy, which undermines the claim that Jesus was overawing everybody. So those are embarrassing considerations, and using the commonsense theory that Jesus was not actually God walking among us, they're aspects of the story that are easy to believe - but equally easy to spin! If you're prepared to believe that Jesus was God walking among us, you're prepared to believe anything about why certain people forgot or failed to see that.

I don't really see how Peter being made an example of counts as potentially embarrassing, though. The point was to persuade the reader not to be like Peter.

It's clear enough that the earliest gospel authors weren't interested in editing out certain potentially embarrassing facts, but they weren't Church Fathers, weren't in cahoots, and probably had inchoate ideas at best of an organized religion. I would think the Church Fathers' reasons for leaving them in would have more to do with going to war with the army you had. These texts and others were already in circulation and they couldn't just whip up something new and neat and call it gospel.

Incidentally, if we are going to discount the gospels altogether because they were written 35-70 after Jesus' death, then we'll have to doubt the anything a World War 2 veteran says today about his service, and not take seriously any of our memories from 1980.
    Well, in that people's memories can be pretty unreliable, it's just something that has to be taken into account.

Comment

Brunho wrote: none of the authors claims to be an eyewitness
      What about:

John the Evangelist wrote: (ch 19 vv 33-35)

But when they came to Jesus and saw that he was already dead, they did not break his legs. But one of the soldiers pierced his side with a spear, and at once there came out blood and water. He who saw it has borne witness — his testimony is true, and he knows that he is telling the truth — that you also may believe.
      the traditional attributions are dodgy
      There's a fair bit within the fourth gospel, I suggest, to corroborate the author's identity. For instance, with two leading contemporary figures known as John, who else could have referred to the Baptiser as simply "John", as in chapter 1, without inviting ambiguity?

Comment

Yeah, it gets into the third person question on the 'beloved disciple'. There's also 21:24: "This is the disciple which testifieth of these things, and wrote these things: and we know that his testimony is true." Why "we" if the author and the witness are the same person? Some redacting going on at least.

It seems to me that if the author was claiming to be an eyewitness, he would say "he who writes this saw it happen, yo."

There's a fair bit within the fourth gospel, I suggest, to corroborate the author's identity. For instance, with two leading contemporary figures known as John, who else could have referred to the Baptiser as simply "John", as in chapter 1, without inviting ambiguity?
        I think you invite more ambiguity by not identifying yourself. John is agreed to be the last gospel (ca. 90-100) but it could possibly have evolved over decades. So it's possible that John the Apostle wrote it, or an early version of it, but I don't think that's the consensus view is it?

Comment

If your Mum's told you repeatedly that you are the Son of God then you're bound to grow up a bit loopy.

Comment

There were so many wandering Jewish preachers around that time claiming to be the Messiah around that time that anyone claiming it was as likely to be seen as mad as if you started saying you were Jesus today. Some of them were also crucified. Some of them were important enough to be named in fairly contemporary account - Theudas, one whose name escapes me presently who appeared the year before Jesus.

What made Jesus stand out from the rest?

Comment

He taught golf.

Comment

Comment

his followers were more mental than the others.

I don't know if there is much future in looking to dig out historical events out a book that starts with a sky god creating the universe in 6 days, and ends with an eternal battle between magical armies and giant serpents, and hinges in the middle on a virgin giving birth.

You'd be as well of parsing Lord of the rings for historical accuracy. At least that hasn't been continually rewritten as controlling propaganda for the last 2000 years. Even if the whole star baby thing actually was true, and the bible was originally recounting something true, and actually was originally the work of a god, it's compilation and rewriting has been a two millenia long political project.

Comment

What made Jesus stand out from the rest?
                    He almost certainly didn't. All and any similar first-hand accounts written about the others were definitely the ones rooted out and destroyed before (and if not before during) the Council of Nicaea.

Simon Bar-Kokhba appears to have attracted just as much a messianic following in the 2nd century AD when he led a rebellion that briefly succeeded. He, curiously, seemed to persecute the early Christians almost as brutally as the Romans did. When his rebellion eventually failed, it's entirely likely that the politics of the times re-elevated the previous "Christ" as a messianic symbol of resistance and rebellion again.

Comment

I would have said St. Paul, though I don't know if or how many others were engaged in parallel ministries on behalf of other Messiahs, who are now forgotten. But Paul's writing is interesting and compelling, and was clearly significant (along with the gospels) for nurturing solidarity in the early Christian communities. You needed more than someone to do the Messiah routine, you needed a concerted effort to keep the story going, which is a whole different skill.

The willingness of so many early Christians to be martyred is striking, so Jesus' standing out may have been due to the example he set in that, i.e. the manner in which he was believed to have conducted himself, which would likely be based in truth. If he had wigged out and begged for clemency the word of it would've gotten around.

Comment

Well, that defines Christianity as the almost maniacal belief that you should willingly endure torture and death in the belief that heaven and eternal paradise await you. Which makes sense, in terms of what Christianity did next (pilgrims, martyrs, crusaders) for the next 1,500 years.

It's also kind of what they're drilling into ISIL suicide bombers nowadays.

Comment

Well, the point of Christianity isn't to be a martyr, that was just considered preferable to apostasy. As much the fear of damnation as the expectation of paradise.

Comment

Is Reed John about these days, he usually comes to the rescue with some coherent intelligent statements.

Christianity appealed (and still appeals) to the oppressed and there were a lot of oppressed people 2,000 years ago. It was embraced by women in particular. Women remain the spine of the church despite the decline of the church and male dominated hierarchy.

Comment

Working...
                            X