Alexey Navalny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alexey Navalny

Opposition politician in Russia and anti-corruption activist is in the ICU after being poisoned on a plane

That poor guy.

Comment

isn't navalny basically a fascist? not the most knowledgeable about this stuff but i've not heard much good about him.

Comment

He's certainly deeply flawed at the very least. Called Georgians "rodents" once.

Comment

That's not really the issue, though, is it? The poisoning of opposition politicians is a pretty disturbing Bad Thing regardless of how obnoxious their policies might be. I mean, if the perpetrator turns out to be some aggrieved Georgian unconnected to the Russian state, that would be a relief, but I somehow doubt that'll be the case.

Comment

Look, you've got two options in Russia. It's either poison or you ''fall'' out of a window. A depressing lack of imagination goes in to such matters these days.

isn't navalny basically a fascist?
            It's true - Navalny is a fascist. Alongside Ratty from Tales of the Riverbank, Major Clanger and the entire cast of Are You Being Served? (except for John Inman and Arthur English). Ben Norton will be rolling out an extensive thread on twitter shortly regarding this set of reactionary scum.

It could be argued Navalny's greatest achievement has been flying camera drones over the palatial estates of numerous humble public servants, and then incorporating the footage into slick YouTube videos. These productions perfectly illustrated to its audience the colossal levels of graft and public thievery that's taken place under the existing nomenklatura.
            Beyond the anti-corruption platform he's a common-or-garden nationalist who believes in a well-funded, powerful military and Russia's right to tell neighbouring countries to fucking do as they're told. If I was to speculate the likely culprit is a member of the aforementioned group who had their nose publicly put out of joint by Navalny and has now decided to indulge in a spot of private enterprise as retribution.

Comment

I always fear trump thinking it's a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
                It's true - Navalny is a fascist. Alongside Ratty from Tales of the Riverbank, Major Clanger and the entire cast of Are You Being Served? (except for John Inman and Arthur English). Ben Norton will be rolling out an extensive thread on twitter shortly regarding this set of reactionary scum.

It could be argued Navalny's greatest achievement has been flying camera drones over the palatial estates of numerous humble public servants, and then incorporating the footage into slick YouTube videos. These productions perfectly illustrated to its audience the colossal levels of graft and public thievery that's taken place under the existing nomenklatura.
                Beyond the anti-corruption platform he's a common-or-garden nationalist who believes in a well-funded, powerful military and Russia's right to tell neighbouring countries to fucking do as they're told. If I was to speculate the likely culprit is a member of the aforementioned group who had their nose publicly put out of joint by Navalny and has now decided to indulge in a spot of private enterprise as retribution.
                he's also:
                - lobbied for and helped organise far-right demonstrations in Moscow (which he continues to attend)
                - got kicked out his political party Yabloko for "for nationalist activities"
                - formed a political party which formed an electoral pact with the subsequently banned far-right organisation Movement Against Illegal Immigration (DPNI)
                - spoke in support of white supremacist rioters in Moscow in 2013.

hope he dies

Comment

Not going to get into the argument of whether it would be a net positive or not for Navalny to die. He's clearly not a nice bloke, but I'm also against the murder of political opponents.

But, this is a bit weird isn't it? I mean you;d think that Putin or some oligarch who presumably has access to Putin, could pull off an assassination of this nature without it ending up like this. I sort of have that nagging doubt in my mind about Skripal too. Is there some kind of shortage of effective hitmen in Russia these days? Or do they want him to survive and have it serve as a warning? I'm a bit confused.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                    Not going to get into the argument of whether it would be a net positive or not for Navalny to die. He's clearly not a nice bloke, but I'm also against the murder of political opponents.

But, this is a bit weird isn't it? I mean you;d think that Putin or some oligarch who presumably has access to Putin, could pull off an assassination of this nature without it ending up like this. I sort of have that nagging doubt in my mind about Skripal too. Is there some kind of shortage of effective hitmen in Russia these days? Or do they want him to survive and have it serve as a warning? I'm a bit confused.

I see it as "we'll kill, or attempt to kill, who we like and you'll know it was us and we'll laugh at your ineffective response which makes you look weak and us invulnerable."

Then again, killing people and making it look like an accident isn't easy so perhaps you just don't bother and put the frighteners on your opponents.

Comment

Who is going to do anything about it? Putin owns the Tories and Trump. Johnson is probably holidaying on one of his yachts right now.

Comment

The list of Russian political assassinations is quite long; 21 here are post-Soviet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...an_politicians

One was my husband's mate's mum, Galina Starovoytova. The two hitmen responsible for her death were eventually jailed, thought to be acting on behalf of the secret services.

Comment

I don't know what to make of the latest poisoning. He didn't seem very nice, another Russian nationalist, but FFS.

Comment

Working...
                          X