No announcement yet.

"Send The Burgers Back"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the by, self-raising flour isn't really a thing in Spain.

Comment

That may be true, I don't know. My husband does the bread baking in our family. I do the cakes and crumbles.

Comment

And for crumble, I don't bother measuring anything at all. I throw in a random combination of some sort of flour and / or oats, sugar and / or honey, butter or oil, ground or flaked almonds or chopped nuts or desiccated coconut, maybe some raisins, and mix it all together with my fingers. I love crumble, you literally can't go wrong with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
          I think that with bread exact measurements are more important than with cakes but this is just my amateur perception.
          Not really. I bake bread and it's not about measurements but feeling and sensing when the dough is right

Comment

I've never really understood our reluctance to adopt the metric system. It is all based on things that you can visualise that make internal sense. A metre is (as near as dammit) 1 10 millionth of the distance from the pole to the equator. You can fit 1000 litres in a cubic metre of water, and that will weigh 1000kg.

But no, we stick with miles, pounds and pints that are all completely arbitrary and bear no relation to each other, and indeed mean different amounts in different countries.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
              And for crumble, I don't bother measuring anything at all. I throw in a random combination of some sort of flour and / or oats, sugar and / or honey, butter or oil, ground or flaked almonds or chopped nuts or desiccated coconut, maybe some raisins, and mix it all together with my fingers. I love crumble, you literally can't go wrong with it.
              Yep!

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                I've never really understood our reluctance to adopt the metric system. It is all based on things that you can visualise that make internal sense. A metre is (as near as dammit) 1 10 millionth of the distance from the pole to the equator. You can fit 1000 litres in a cubic metre of water, and that will weigh 1000kg.

But no, we stick with miles, pounds and pints that are all completely arbitrary and bear no relation to each other, and indeed mean different amounts in different countries.
                In the UK there seems to be a halfway house kind of story. As for the US I'm constantly amused by the slavish addiction to Fahrenheit.

Comment

I must admit that now I’m used to a fully metric system, it’s pretty liberating.

Last time I drove in the UK I found myself converting the distances into km in my head. First time ever. I still remember doing the opposite on French holidays, and our early years here.

Comment

Bread, fruit-bread, crumbles, cookies don’t require precision. What seems to require precision are cakey and macaroony and meringuey things. Basically, anything that gets made in 19th century American farmsteads doesn’t require precision, and anything made in French patisseries does.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                      easy for being able to swag what the amount means
                      "swag" there meaning "work out, estimate" or somesuch?

Comment

Probably an element of ‘wing’ or ‘busk’ in there, too.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

"swag" there meaning "work out, estimate" or somesuch?
                          More visually estimate. I am never going to chop a shallot and then measure 1/4 of a cup of it.

Comment

Thanks, caja - don't recall coming across this usage before.

Comment

I'm also curious about it.

It isn't USian

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                I'm also curious about it.

It isn't USian

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scient...nd%20estimate.

Comment

Well I guess the origin is this. I encountered it in banking I expect (along with POOMA)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scient...nd%20estimate.

Comment

Interesting

Similar origin story to snafu

Comment

I sent our local a private Facebook message after middle son had a bad meal. They gave him a free meal and all of us a round of drinks on the next visit. One of the negatives of the recent "Karen" controversies is it makes people feel bad for complaining when a complaint is warranted. Not ranting, just advising a venue when something is below par.

Comment

Working...
                                      X