• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

?Haba usted Ingles

Spanish for the English tourist -

https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2020/...einforcements/

?We bringo mucho dosho to pubo?

I mean, why can't we take our holidays in a civilized manner like the Belgians -

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-...beach-22491528

Comment

One of the side bar stories on the first link:

https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2020/...-costa-blanca/

Alan Grimes and his wife and son were in the same position as above, within a few days of Jet2 cancelling their holiday to Benidorm they too decided to try a week in Blackpool, after all, it was only about an hours car drive away from their home in Liverpool....."None of it was as we remember, mind you, it was years since we went there after all. We booked a room at B&B which a good rating on Trip Advisor. As the lady left the room kets* with us and we dragged the cases upstairs i sort of knew it wasn’t going to be good. My heart sank when i opened the door but i pretended to be up-beat and just said ‘come on gang, let’s hurry up and go down the beach....We made our way to Blackpool beach and our son immediately said he didn’t like it- the water was freezing cold and it was a breezy day, nothing like the Levante beach in Benidorm that’s for sure! We decided to go eat breakfast which turned out to be a greasy treat, i think it came to over 25 quid, much more expensive than Benidorm and not as nice i thought. We actually spent twice as much in Blackpool as we do in Spain somehow!......the beer was more expensive, the food was more expensive and the B&B was just ok, nothing like where we stay in Spain. We came back a few days early, we couldn’t hack it and the wife is continually checking when we can book again for Benidorm."

*At least they got some free drugs.

Comment

Re thread title: haba means bean.

Do inverted question marks on here?

?

On edit: no; they re-invert.

Comment

English people always demand beans at breakfast in Spain. And brown sauce, the existence of which I once memorably saw a frustrated TUI holidaymaker trying to explain to a waitress in Mexico. I think "browno sauco" may have been uttered.

Comment

Well there would definitely be beans on the full English they’d be eating en el bar-o, o no?

Habas a la catalana (ham/bacon, sausage, broad beans, onion, mint, white wine) is one of my favourite early summer meals when we get lots of broad beans at the allotment

Edit-
            Rogin pipped me by seconds

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
              Edit-
              Rogin pipped me by seconds
              You've got to get to the buffet early. And all the fruit's gone within 5 minutes because the grandmas shove it in their handbags, but if you ask Quanita in Spanish with a smile she'll bring you some from out the back.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                Quanita
                Juanita.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                  And brown sauce, the existence of which I once memorably saw a frustrated TUI holidaymaker trying to explain to a waitress in Mexico. I think "browno sauco" may have been uttered.
                  Sure, sure. 'Once saw.' Right, gotcha. *Taps nose*

Should you ever need it in future, Rogin, brown sauce is known as salsa inglesa in the Spanish-speaking world (well, technically that's Worcestershire sauce, but near as dammit and all that). And yes, salsa inglesa does mean exactly what you think it means.

Comment

Brown sauce is surely very different to Worcestershire sauce, the latter which is called here just that [usually with excellently mangled pronunciation - see also Leicester(shire)]. I've actually never seen brown sauce here, though presumably it's ubiquitous in restaurants in Benidorm.

Comment

I'll admit to not being a particular fan of either, but I thought they were basically the same thing (more specifically, I thought Worcestershire sauce was a type of brown sauce).

At any rate, apologies for getting the Spanish Spanish name wrong. In Argentina – and I am led to believe in the rest of Latin America – it's salsa inglesa.

Comment

In other news, the board can render en dashes just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                          I'll admit to not being a particular fan of either, but I thought they were basically the same thing (more specifically, I thought Worcestershire sauce was a type of brown sauce).

At any rate, apologies for getting the Spanish Spanish name wrong. In Argentina – and I am led to believe in the rest of Latin America – it's salsa inglesa.
                          It's like peanut butter, which I believe in Latin America is mantequilla de cacahuete but which in Spain is crema de cacahuete.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                            In other news, the board can render en dashes just fine.
                            Is it time to bother Mr Serpiente about our diacritics again?

Comment

I'm just waiting until the board upgrade, and typing them anyway in the meantime in the assumption that the new board will recognise them and correct everything.

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

It's like peanut butter, which I believe in Latin America is mantequilla de cacahuete but which in Spain is crema de cacahuete.
                              Mantequilla de man? in Argentina. I've no idea whether it's that or something else elsewhere in the region, though.

Comment

Worcestershire sauce and brown sauce don't even belong in the same genre (despite being both named "sauce"). Brown sauce is something you put on your chips and the like (belongs in the same category as ketchup) . Worcestershire sauce is something you put in stews and pies (and bloody marys). Belongs in the same category as tabasco.

Comment

Ah, okay. I'm not sure what brown sauce is here, then. I lived here for several years before realising what salsa inglesa was (as I said, I don't eat it myself), and I can't think of any other likely candidates.

Comment

I'm not sure brown sauce exists outside of the UK. Maybe on the Costas or in Florida (can't recall seeing it even in Australia), but I imagine if it can be found anywhere other than Britain it will be served exclusively to British people and called brown sauce

Comment

Yes, I note that the other languages its Wikipedia page is available in are: Polish. And no others. Although the page does also give some examples of equivalents from Japan and Jamaica.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                        I'm not sure brown sauce exists outside of the UK. Maybe on the Costas or in Florida (can't recall seeing it even in Australia), but I imagine if it can be found anywhere other than Britain it will be served exclusively to British people and called brown sauce
                                        Pretty common around these parts in its HP variety - but so are poms. Australians have their own version called BBQ sauce which is just brown sauce.

Comment

Worsestershire Sauce doesn't even belong.

The condiment of choice is Henserson's

(Suitable for vegetarians)
                                          ​​

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                            Re thread title: haba means bean.

Do inverted question marks on here?

?

On edit: no; they re-invert.
                                            I blame internet translation sites

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                                              Worsestershire Sauce doesn't even belong.

The condiment of choice is Henserson's

(Suitable for vegetarians)
                                              ​​
                                              Agreed (though it is Henderson's). But you can find Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce (and generic versions thereof) all over the world, and you can't easily find Henderson's anywhere outside of South Yorkshire.

Comment

Fat fingeted syndrome, init.

Comment

I once had that Edinburgh chippy sauce slopped on (unrequested) that was so thin it was more akin to Worcester Sauce than HP style brown sauce. Never again (chippy sauce, not Auld Reekie).

Comment

Working...
                                                  X