I'm a White C*nt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a White C*nt

Walking over London Bridge yesterday, on my way to get the clipper to Greenwich, I accidentally bumped shoulders with someone coming in the other direction. I was looking at the building where I worked in the olden days (March) and they were looking at their phone. We accidentally bumped shoulders. Their immediate response was to say i should apologise. I said that neither of us looking where we were going so maybe it both our fault. To which their response was "Fuck you, you white c*nt"...Still processing that...

To get the Thames clipper you must have been walking southbound and presumably were looking at your old office on the south side.

One London Bridge?
    The office complex by the Golden Hind?
    London Bridge Hospital?

Comment

No - 20 Fenchurch on the north side...but I'd turned back to face the direction of travel just before the incident...and as anyone on here who knows me will know that I'm the A in BAME...

Comment

He was telling you that you've been spending too much time indoors and need to catch more sun.

Comment

There’s no actual indication that this person was male, though.

Or indeed not also white.

Comment

Take it as a commentary on institutionalised white privilege and let it slide as a personal affront.

Comment

Are you sure they didn't say "wide"?

Comment

Or ‘Count’?

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                  There’s no actual indication that this person was male, though.

Or indeed not also white.
                  They were neither.
                  I can cope with the idea that I maybe wider than most, and indeed I maybe a c*nt, but really? Yeah, I guess you're right G-Man...chalk it up as a life experience and move on ...I suppose

Comment

Sorry to hear this happened gt3

i imagine he ( and it sounds like a he) was so determined not to speak the “ black” or whatever other racist term his brain produced that he said “white” instead.

Comment

If it helps at all, someone once shouted "stupid c*nt" out of a van window at me. My crime? Attempting to cross a road with my three-week-old daughter's pushchair. Really shook me up, but I did eventually realise it had nothing to do with me.

Sorry to hear this happened to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                        Sorry to hear this happened gt3

i imagine he ( and it sounds like a he) was so determined not to speak the “ black” or whatever other racist term his brain produced that he said “white” instead.

It was a BAME woman, probably in her twenties...<shrugs>>
                        thanks Nef...as I've said above, I can deal with the c*nt thing...it's that she used my colour...and just made the presumption that I was white...I suppose it says alot about how BAME people have lived and been abused...but not sure two wrongs make a right... especially when your wrong is that wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by gt3 View Post

It was a BAME woman, probably in her twenties...<shrugs>>
                          thanks Nef...as I've said above, I can deal with the c*nt thing...it's that she used my colour...and just made the presumption that I was white...I suppose it says alot about how BAME people have lived and been abused...but not sure two wrongs make a right... especially when your wrong is that wrong...
                          Unfortunately, the flipside of being colour-blind is acceptance that BAME individuals can be as gratuitously prejudiced as their white counterparts.
                          Last edited by Diable Rouge; 10-08-2020, 14:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post

Unfortunately, the flipside of being colour-blind is acceptance that BAME individuals can be as gratuitously racist as their white counterparts.
                            Woaaah there, you need to have power in order to be racist, otherwise you are just being rude and abusive.

Comment

I agree with TG here. Racism = prejudice + power. (That's power in an institutional / structural sense, rather than individual.)

Comment

A fair point, and duly amended.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

Woaaah there, you need to have power in order to be racist, otherwise you are just being rude and abusive.
                                  That's interesting. I thought that one of the racist things that white people attributed to BAME people is that they couldn't be racist. When I have heard Black people of more recent African descent calling Black people of Afro-Caribbean descent "lazy" or this

I have thought of it as racist. I can see your point about the power imbalance but aren't these acts of racism? Genuine question, I am not being arch or anything. I am a pale stale male so have no conception.

As a lighter - I think - aside, my mixed race son was coming down the stairs saying to a mate on the phone, "I am. I fucking am. Hold on, ask my Dad"

Bored Jr (holding phone to me): Dad, aren't I black?

Me: Well, son, it's a bit more complic....

Bored Jr: Dad, don't go on. Tell him I'm black

Me: Err, ok, he's black.

Bored Jr (back to phone): See? Told you.

That is a good demonstration of my white liberal analysis of race.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimski View Post
                                    I agree with TG here. Racism = prejudice + power. (That's power in an institutional / structural sense, rather than individual.)
                                    Ah, hold on, this may have answered me (although I will keep up the original post).

So, does this mean that, for instance, Idi Amin expelling the Asians from Uganda was a racist act as he had the power to do it but, if he were an everyday Ugandan citizen calling an Asian Ugandan an epithet based their Indian descent, it isn't racist?

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post

Ah, hold on, this may have answered me (although I will keep up the original post).

So, does this mean that, for instance, Idi Amin expelling the Asians from Uganda was a racist act as he had the power to do it but, if he were an everyday Ugandan citizen calling an Asian Ugandan an epithet based their Indian descent, it isn't racist?
                                      I would think it's akin to UKIP or National Rally supporters in Europe, as by normalising such prejudice in society, they can exhort their political leaders to racist actions. Of course, a more complicated issue still in that regard is black-on-black prejudice, as happened in Zimbabwe and South Africa.

Comment

Originally posted by gt3 View Post
                                        Walking over London Bridge yesterday, on my way to get the clipper to Greenwich, I accidentally bumped shoulders with someone coming in the other direction. I was looking at the building where I worked in the olden days (March) and they were looking at their phone. We accidentally bumped shoulders. Their immediate response was to say i should apologise. I said that neither of us looking where we were going so maybe it both our fault. To which their response was "Fuck you, you white c*nt"...Still processing that...
                                        What happened to "Hey, be careful!" There's so much ill-expressed anger and hatred these days. I'm starting to long for the days of etiquette. Elitist they might have been but at bottom those small gestures were acts of generosity.

Comment

I get the power argument but I'm not entirely sure I agree with it. If you're the kind of person to be abusive to another and you bring their race into it, I'd say that makes you a racist. Or at the very least an arsehole

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post

I would think it's akin to UKIP or National Rally supporters in Europe, as by normalising such prejudice in society, they can exhort their political leaders to racist actions. Of course, a more complicated issue still in that regard is black-on-black prejudice, as happened in Zimbabwe and South Africa.
                                            I was going to say that your example was different as UKIP supporters would be white but, of course, Sergi Singh was a UKIP candidate and, I suppose, it would be a sort of racism to presume the BAME people weren't supporters or voters of anti-immigration parties. I suppose that this is where xenophobia becomes a useful distinctive difference. If a BAME UKIP supporter is saying that, for instance, Albanian refugees should go back to their own country, they are not being racist against white people but being xenophobic against a nationality.

Comment

Not to speak for gt3 but regardless of the source of the insult, or its inaccuracy re his racial orientation, I sense his pain at what is a repeated injury based on race. If this were me, I'd be mildly distressed at the altercation but not in the least affected by the "white" epithet. I have never had to put up with racism, simple as that. gt3 has. And even when it's misplaced, it still hurts greatly. This isn't to pit black women of colour against, in this instance, a man of colour. It's about the hurt of reference to race.

Comment

here is a real world story that has occupied my summer.

i am dealing with a complex and tricky grievance at work.

one of the teams i manage is a legal team. they do the in house stuff for us.

the head of the team has built the team from scratch. making all the appointments.
                                                she is southern european from a poor working class background and her parents speak only some English.

her two managers are experienced white male lawyers.

there are 5 non manager lawyers
                                                2 black african
                                                3 asian
                                                one is male

there are 5 para legals
                                                1 black
                                                3 asian
                                                1 white
                                                4 are women

3 of the solicitors have raised grievances about their pay. they are on about 50k.

2 of the 3 have raised a grievance about the appointment of one of the white managers.

they have stated that
                                                he had no experience
                                                he was a mate of the head of service who appointed him.
                                                that hes paid 60k
                                                these assertions have been spread around the wider department and are now quoted as fact.

1 of the 3 lawyers has gone on to make a wide ranging assertion that the Head of service is systematically discriminating against BAME staff. she is from a fairly wealthy background.

she has made this a formal grievance and is now off sick with the stress of the situation.

i have
                                                investigated the appointments
                                                interviewed every team member
                                                reviewed the salaries

as close to fact as i can get -

appointments of managers were not discriminatory. more could probably have been done to get a better spread of BAME candidates.

2 of the solicitors have completely lost faith in the company and believe they and others are being discriminated against.

the relationship between the head of service and one of the solicitors has completely disintegrated.

the solicitors were probably underpaid by about 3 or 4 k. im awarding that payrise.

the rest of the team are quite happy and see it as a diverse and inclusive workplace.

im a trying to move this situation to a successful conclusion.

if you ask ill answer
                                                then you can suggest way forward.

Comment

I'd go back to Malaysia. What's the point in wasting what's left of your life in such irrelevant politics.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X