Hadrian's rockery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of plugs if anyone’s interested

Willowford Farm is a lovely B&B about a 45 minute walk to the East of Birdoswald, the farm’s built out of wall stone and it’s one of those nice ones that bake their own bread and only feed you stuff produced from within a stone’s throw of the village (as well as the local brewery).

Clifford Jones’ book on walking the wall is also excellent, combine it with one of the OS maps (or app I guess) and you’ll be alright.

Sadly at the end of my street, instead of a world heritage site I’ve got a Lidl and a beach that’s a magnet for every fly tipper in East Lothian.

Comment

There’s a Lidl at the other end of mine. And the world heritage site is more likely to be dog-shitted, flytipped or littered with broken Wkd bottles as admired or noticed as it passes through East Newcastle

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

Hadrian was also the emperor who utterly obliterated Jerusalem after the Bar Kochba revolt.
        No, you want to speak to Vespasian and Titus about that. They flattened Jerusalem after the first revolt 60 years earlier. But it was Hadrian's reconstruction of Jerusalem as Aelia Capitolina, with the temple of Jupiter on Temple Mount, that helped spark off the Second Revolt.

Comment

in october 2012 i walked the wall to clear my head about falling in love with someone over a lunchtime meeting. seemed a bit idiotic so a few days walking across northumberland was ideal antidote.

a few blisters later decided that it would be sensible to ask her out even though she was prem to my league 1.

married now so thats ok.

consequently have a strong liking for hadrians wall.

Comment

Awww that's great.

Comment

The new owner of the house next door is called Hadrian. It's the first time I remember coming across someone with the name.

As it's an adjoining property, I've been amusing Mrs D by pointing and saying "that's Hadrian's wall!" Whenever we're in an adjoining area.

Less amusing (OK, even less amusing) is that his roofers have potentially damaged our roof, hence the reason I know his name.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobachevsky View Post
                in october 2012 i walked the wall to clear my head about falling in love with someone over a lunchtime meeting. seemed a bit idiotic so a few days walking across northumberland was ideal antidote.

a few blisters later decided that it would be sensible to ask her out even though she was prem to my league 1.

married now so thats ok.

consequently have a strong liking for hadrians wall.
                That’s a lovely story.

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                As it's an adjoining property, I've been amusing Mrs D by pointing and saying "that's Hadrian's wall!" Whenever we're in an adjoining area.
                I bet she never tires of hearing that. Sorry about your roof.

Comment

Interesting short video:

"Welcome to this weeks video when we take a look at Hadrian's Wall and the 1000 year old misunderstanding about its construction. By Scots, I mean: Caledonians and the Maeatae. A few have questioned how Hodgson figured out it was indeed Hadrian. I didn't include this for a few reasons, not least because it would have needed a further 10 min explanation. Essentially he was doing archaeology which unearthed a number of artefacts with the Hadrian family name on."

Comment

Working...
                  X