Scottish Highers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scottish Highers

So. Downgraded from the teacher assesments based on school's previous exam history.

What?

I mean what?

The SQA and its predecessors have been at this kind of nonsense for years.

When me and my contemporaries did our highers in 1991, some were similarly downgraded based on the previous year's results. The only problem was, the year ahead of us were fucking morons. They had a vanishingly small number of smart kids, had the highest truancy rate in the school's history, saw the first expulsions in a decade for violent and disruptive behaviour, and the exam results suffered accordingly.

My lot weren't exactly genius-level stuff (and I include myself in that), but we were a sight better than what had gone before and the results were better as a consequence. The Scottish Examination Board (as it was then) thought the upswing in results was suspicious and downgraded a number of my pals' grades - including the Dux of the School, who went from five As to four As and a B. My grades were middling enough that I was allowed to keep them unchanged...

edit: mis-spelled "expulsions". Told you I wasn't a genius.
    Last edited by blameless; 05-08-2020, 08:20.

Comment

As someone who always excelled in exams but fucked about in class, I'd have been livid to be judged on teachers' assessments in the first place, let alone compared to the failings of my predecessors. I got 9 'A' grades at O Level, and our year head told me I was the first to do that at my school in eight years.

Comment

Good piece in Tribune

https://twitter.com/tribunemagazine/status/1290738498971078660?s=20

I think they should just do it on family name like they used to in the old days.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
          As someone who always excelled in exams but fucked about in class, I'd have been livid to be judged on teachers' assessments in the first place...
          Me too. But both universities and employers would have got a better idea of what they were getting....

Comment

Working...
          X