Nineteen. Nernernerner Nineteen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nineteen. Nernernerner Nineteen

People fit the profile of the person released on bail earlier today, apparently

None of them will receive a hero’s welcome.

Comment

I realise it is Guy, but can one be "bailed" in England without having first been charged?

Comment

Yes; it is usually referred to as 'police bail'.

Comment

Thank you. The system here is very different, but it isn't that surprising given the different ways we use "arrest" (which implies a.charge here).

Does the individual actually have to post bail? Or just be available for future questioning?
          Last edited by ursus arctos; 02-08-2020, 17:54.

Comment

The suspect has to report to a police station at the end of the bail period to see whether they will be charged or released. The police can't require a surety. The power was reformed a few years ago to reduce the potential for arbitrary or unfair use but the suspect is still rather left dangling.

Comment

Is this about the Tory MP and former cabinet minister?

Not had the whip withdrawn and the Evening Standard only refers to him as a man in his fifties. A seat in the Lords pays for a lot of favour.

Comment

The Tories could argue that, if a suspect isn't supposed to be named by the police before any charge is laid, withdrawing the whip would effectively confirm his identity. The media may have concerns about a later libel action if they name him and the investigation comes to nothing. None of that precludes their wanting to shield a pal and deflect bad publicity away from the Government too.

Comment

How can you be sued for libel for reporting the facts? As long as all they say is that he's been questioned by police, should be fine.

The only actual good reason for keeping his name quiet as far as I can see would be if releasing it would somehow bring the identity of the complainant into the public eye. I hope that's why it's being kept under wraps.

Comment

This is also relevant, though it seems it may be a Commons rule rather than law

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...rrests-7347827

Comment

Twitter is alive with the name of an MP who has apparently deleted their Twitter and Facebook accounts.

Comment

Can someone tell me what this thread is about?

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                          Can someone tell me what this thread is about?
                          https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...whip-withdrawn

Comment

I've met Peter Thomas, whose voice is sampled on the record. But I'm struggling to connect the record to the names of any Tory MPs.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                              I've met Peter Thomas, whose voice is sampled on the record. But I'm struggling to connect the record to the names of any Tory MPs.
                              Guy was pointing out that there were 19 MPs who fit the stated profile, not identifying the one in question.

Comment

Fair enough.

Comment

At my previous workplaces an allegation only half as serious as this, ALWAYS resulted in the employees suspension. It's a neutral act and means the employee cant later be accused of interfering with the investigation. I'm struggling to see why this chap hasn't been suspended from the party pending the outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post
                                    At my previous workplaces an allegation only half as serious as this, ALWAYS resulted in the employees suspension. It's a neutral act and means the employee cant later be accused of interfering with the investigation. I'm struggling to see why this chap hasn't been suspended from the party pending the outcome.
                                    You realise that we are talking about the Tory Party, right? They're far more likely to sack the complainant than the accused.

Comment

^ I know. I shouldn't have been surprised but I was. Even Prince Andrew had the good grace to stand down from his 'work'

Comment

Originally posted by Jimski View Post
                                        How can you be sued for libel for reporting the facts? As long as all they say is that he's been questioned by police, should be fine.

The only actual good reason for keeping his name quiet as far as I can see would be if releasing it would somehow bring the identity of the complainant into the public eye. I hope that's why it's being kept under wraps.
                                        A situation created by the press. By reporting the events and consequences in such intimate detail they have effectively protected the MP from identification.
                                        Is it possible for another MP to use parliamentary privilege to name them?

Comment

Well, I'm just glad Paul Hardcastle hasn't died.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post

You realise that we are talking about the Tory Party, right? They're far more likely to sack the complainant than the accused.
                                            Parliamentary aides are directly hired and employed by MPs, not the party (although the role is often a stepping stone to salaried positions in the party). Although it is unclear if the complaint is against the MP who directly employed this particular aide or one of his or her colleagues, one of the aspects of this is that the complainant has almost certainly ended any hope of being employed by this or any other Tory MP again, even if the accusations are proven true. Which provides context to the bravery involved in coming forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                              The Tories could argue that, if a suspect isn't supposed to be named by the police before any charge is laid, withdrawing the whip would effectively confirm his identity. The media may have concerns about a later libel action if they name him and the investigation comes to nothing. None of that precludes their wanting to shield a pal and deflect bad publicity away from the Government too.
                                              <koff> Alex Salmond

"Ah. But Scots law"

"Cliff Richard" then

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post

Or take out a "Mary Bell" order against her.

(but that's usually reserved for the offspring of the result of consensual relationships.

However, that does not refer to the parents)

Comment

Working...
                                                X