No announcement yet.

Personal Covid-19 tally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I try to teach until the end of term, I'm probably one of the few that do.

Comment

Your pupils must skip into your class.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
        Your pupils must skip into your class.
        I try to teach something fun or do an educational quiz, will give them chocolates as a bribe. I just feel that it's their right to learn. I was forced by my mum to go into school for the last weeks of summer term when there were no lessons and no kids. It was shite.

Comment

My boss has it, apparently. He’ll be out another week.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

I realise my opinions on school being a psychologically horrid time filled mainly with useless busywork and emotional wounds inflicted by bullies don't reflect the majority viewpoint when discussing the absolute crisis caused by kids missing a few weeks of school, but I would genuinely like to know if actual work is done in the final week of term these days. It used to be a total doss.
            The crisis is genuine for some. I have a friend whose eldest has an A-level grade based offer for a Uni servicing a niche area he really wants to work in. He is incredibly stressed about what will happen to his grades if exams aren't possible. I know there are solutions the government could offer but they'll undoubtedly leave it late and fuck it up.

Comment

Found out on Friday that a fella I used to work with in the North East has died from Covid. Despite the high death rates it's still a bit of a shock when you hear someone your own age group has carked it. In this case the shock was mitigated by the fact that this bloke was something of a bell end, though obviously I still feel sorry for the family he left behind.

Comment

Mrs. NS is, in effect, one half of a two-person team.

Her colleague died from the virus earlier today, 60-year-old guy of African heritage with a school-age daughter.

My wife's in bits.

Comment

Had our first death, extended family. My father's elderly cousin, into hospital with it in the evening, dead by morning. However, the poor woman had been effectively dead for over four years, having suffered a massive stroke that left her lacking any capacity, little response to outside stimulus and requiring pretty much 24 hour nursing home care. At the time, everyone agreed it would have been better had the stroke carried her off given the quality of life before and after.

But hey, it's just flu...

Comment

One of my junior art directors got it during Christmas week. Her, her brother and their parents went to visit their grandparents (against all the rules) and the grandparents gave it to them all. Lots of fever, coughing and a chronic low-level headache. All symptoms lasted for three weeks, and then passed.

Comment

Really sorry to hear that NS. And Eggy, though it sounds like in the case of your dad's cousin it was a blessing.

Comment

One of the only families I know round here who hasn't had it, now has it. Family of 4 - youngest son didn't get it (or was asymptomatic) daughter had a light case. Mum and dad had it bad. Mum is now slowly recovering after 2 tough weeks. Dad has been in bed for two weeks and is really struggling. Trouble is he's anti medicine and refuses to take anything. He's trying to beat it with herbal tea.

(I've read recently that colchicin, which is a drug I take in the event of a gout attack and which is one of the cheapest over the counter drugs I've ever come across, is recommended as something to take in case you get Covid. Hopefully that won't happen but I already have a supply)

Comment

I've just found out that a former work colleague has died of covid19.

First they were numbers, then they were names and now they're friends.

Comment

Most of my direct in-laws have tested positive the last few days, including my mother-in-law who got jabbed early January.

Last week my wife who also git jabbed early January was in contact with her, had to attend hospital appointment that would have left her unable to drive. 'Safer than a taxi' she thought...bad idea...

So this evening we both off to get tested...(no indication we have it at the moment)

Comment

A friend of mine lost her Mum.just before new year. Her mum was admitted to hospital on Christmas Eve and died on the 30th.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                (I've read recently that colchicin, which is a drug I take in the event of a gout attack and which is one of the cheapest over the counter drugs I've ever come across, is recommended as something to take in case you get Covid. Hopefully that won't happen but I already have a supply)
                                How do you find it? My dad took it with no side effects, but my neighbour had to stop taking it because the side effects hit him so hard the gout was preferable. It seems to vary radically from person to person.

The only people I know who have had it are in the UK. Though I think that is more of a reflection of the people I know, rather than anything else.

Comment

Drive-in testing centre near mine was quiet, quickly in and out...wait and see, results seem to come very quick

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

How do you find it? My dad took it with no side effects, but my neighbour had to stop taking it because the side effects hit him so hard the gout was preferable. It seems to vary radically from person to person.

The only people I know who have had it are in the UK. Though I think that is more of a reflection of the people I know, rather than anything else.
                                    It doesnt seem to have any negative effect on me. I only take it in the middle of an attack and to be honest I have no real idea whether it's effective against the gout. But even if it shortens the pain by a day it's worth it
                                    ​​​​​​

Comment

I'm really sorry for your partner, NS. That's horrible.

Comment

Daughter, granddaughter (8) and son-in-law all have Covid at present. Son-in-law went down with it first - possibly caught at the funeral of his best mate's mother, although neither my wife nor I think that he has been careful enough throughout this whole pandemic. Our daughter works at Boots Opticians, so as a key worker there she has access to the fast flow testing kits. She initially tested negative but of course they all went into the 10 day isolation. It wasn't until a week in that she and our granddaughter tested positive, so they both have another 10 days to isolate on top of time previously served as it were. Both adults have had the chronic fatigue, aches and loss of taste/smell, but no fever or cough. Granddaughter is completely unaffected thank goodness.

Comment

Really sorry to hear that NS. And Eggy, though it sounds like in the case of your dad's cousin it was a blessing.
                                          That's the general consensus. She was effectively saved and damned by medicine being advanced enough to keep her existing, but not enough to repair the damage to allow her to live.

Comment

Both negative...phew... Family doing ok, so far. Considering her parents health, it's a relief...

Comment

My second cousin and her husband have both tested positive. She's quite a bit older than me - early 60s, I think - and retired about a month ago, having worked right the way through the first couple of lockdowns.

He had a brain haemorrhage last summer and had made decent progress, and they think they both got it from going to the hospital for one of his check-ups, which hadn't been cancelled, because they hadn't left their house otherwise for a couple of weeks. "It was either that or the Ocado man", we're her exact words.

My ex-wife's two best friends, who I mentioned on another thread, are both recovering okay. My ex-wife has had a bad cold and a stomach bug this last few days, but she was off work last week and was similarly cocooned away to me, she was at work yesterday but I can't see her being able to go in today.

Comment

It doesnt seem to have any negative effect on me. I only take it in the middle of an attack and to be honest I have no real idea whether it's effective against the gout. But even if it shortens the pain by a day it's worth it
                                                ​​​​​​
                                                While it's shit that your immune system has decided that it doesn't like your feet (welcome to the disobedient immune system club) it's at least good that the medicine sits well with you.

Comment

Our CEO has emailed out with the news that we have lost another colleague to Covid-19. One of the hospital porters. He was 55 and leaves behind a wife and two daughters.

Comment

Originally posted by laverte View Post

My friend's father is now in intensive care.

My mother is in hospital.
                                                    My mother and my friend's father have both now died.

It seems my mother had not seen anybody face to face for five whole months before she visited my uncle at new year. They spent a couple of hours together. My uncle started displaying symptoms the next day. (He recovered okay.)

My mother was in the hospital for several weeks before she was able to receive a visitor. i sent her texts every day but i don't think she could read them.

It's such an awful illness.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X