Clear All

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
    I was supposed to be there in April.
    Ditto. Small world.

Comment

Tiananmen Square, 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post

I was supposed to be there in April. How did you like the city? Did you take the ferry to Itsukushima?
        We did visit the floating Torii and the numerous deer on Itsukushima, lots of great walks there combining shrines and scenery

Was only in the area for one night (part of a multi-stage trip), so can't comment in great detail, but I thought the peace memorial was done well, focusing on the horrors of nuclear weapons – unsurprisingly it didn't focus on the reasons why Japan was targeted, but neither did it condemn the USA for attacking.

The parts of town just beyond that area seemed to be quite normal for a Japanese town, I can't say anything in particular jumps out in my memory about Hiroshima outside of the peace memorial and the island, although that could just be a combination of bad memory and lack of exploring time.

Comment

On the way up Mount Misen, Itsukushima, October 2014. I do like it when nature frames the picture for me.

Comment

More vintage scans - still nothing too cheery.

El-Alamein battlefield - October, 1990 - what a REALLY godawful place for a battle.

Summer, 1985, my traveling buddy helping to kill the weeds at the Berlin Wall.

Comment

Donautal

K?ln

Comment

Zurichsee

Somewhere between Zurich and Vienna

Comment

That pixel window is great.

Comment

Taylor Branch's work on Martin Luther King is excellent on the history of the Second Baptist Church on Dexter Avenue, Montgomery (the congregation gradually expanded due to the arrival of people who had become disenchanted with the First Baptist Church). Photographed last Friday, July 24:

Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 30-07-2020, 23:34.

Comment

Second-largest tree in the world--the General Grant (I didn't really get a good photo of the largest, General Sherman, while I was there)

Comment

This came up on the new shirts thread.

Comment

The Acropolis of Mycenae, from around 1200-1350 BC

Comment

The Treasury of Petra comes into view

Comment

On second thoughts I'm not sure that mine counts as historical. It's less than 100 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                                On second thoughts I'm not sure that mine counts as historical. It's less than 100 years old.
                                Shoot, there goes all of mine!

Comment

I'm the thread starter and there's no time minimum on historical. Ground Zero was historical as soon as the planes hit.

Comment

I think there is a difference between a place that becomes historical because something happened and a location that becomes historical simply due to the accretion of time.

I wasn't being totally serious about withdrawing the Romer picture anyway. A building that looks like that has stood there for hundreds of years and the way that it was reconstructed probably makes it historical in itself (not just the Romer but the entire Romerberg).

Anyway, have a picture of some historical vandalism.

Comment

Working...
                                    X