• Time
  • Show
Clear All

But I think he's trying to include things like Chupa Chups and the like
    (which are definitely lollies)

Comment

Correct.

Comment

I remain firmly of the opinion that a Magnum is not an ice lolly, it's a choc ice on a stick, though I am resigned to the fact that this might be a minority opinion.

Comment

Nah, I agree. I see an ice lolly effectively as sorbet on a stick, ruling out anything with actual frozen milk/cream in it.

Edit: here we go: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic...lish/ice-lolly

Comment

More like a water-ice, but yeah, that definition works for me. A Magnum is an ice cream on a stick - 'choc ice' if you must, but to me that too is a different confection.

Chupa Chups and their ilk are lollipops rather than lollies.

Comment

Big expensive Choc ice as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Whatever I said last time this came up. That's what it is/isn't.

Incidentally if you haven't tried the Biscoff lollies/ice cream onna stick/choc ices then you really ought to. They're magnum killers.

Comment

This must be the biggest thread shift ever.

Comment

Yeh, let’s get back to pedestrian signal hunks.

Comment

How about Mr BA?

Comment

He looks like he could chuck you around in a tango.

Comment

So only in DC, Belo Horizonte and Vienna do pedestrians walk left to right?

I agree that a magnum is not an "ice lolly". But I persist that it is a lolly. The category "ice cream on a stick" has too many entries to not have a proper term for it, and until someone comes up with something more concise than "ice cream on a stick" or "choc ice on a stick" (which wouldn't work for, say, a Funny Feet anyway), I'll continue to use lolly.

Comment

Mr Vienna needs to lay off the sachertorte. Mr Nice looks as if he was outlined by Herge.

Comment

Other entrants

Comment

While in Italy, I had a liquorice "ice lolly". It wasn't bad but it was all sorts of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                  This must be the biggest thread shift ever.
                                  Probably not even in the top 5.

Meanwhile, I'm totally craving a corn dog now.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                    While in Italy, I had a liquorice "ice lolly". It wasn't bad but it was all sorts of wrong.
                                    If done well 'Tiger' ice cream (licorice and orange) is just about my all time favourite. Trouble is commercial brands tend to be too kiddie oriented and insipid. You need a really good trattoria to get the real deal and, sadly, there isn't one locally.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                      Mr Nice looks as if he was outlined by Herge.
                                      Ooh, he really does!

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                        How about Mr BA?

He's the wrong colour! He's meant to be white, not that odd shade of pink. This led to my mother announcing it was time to cross the street with the exclamation 'white man!' during my parents' first trip down here. Obviously this has since been adopted by my girlfriend and me.

Comment

Puzzling that people who obsess over what to call a food stuff and insist only their view is correct cannot form and maintain long-term respectful relationships with other humans (insert smiley thing here).

Comment

The liquor-ice lolly sounds like one of the greatest things ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

If done well 'Tiger' ice cream (licorice and orange) is just about my all time favourite. Trouble is commercial brands tend to be too kiddie oriented and insipid. You need a really good trattoria to get the real deal and, sadly, there isn't one locally.
                                              That sounds interesting. We had liquorice syrup and liquorice "dust" (or somesuch) and didn't know what to do with it so Mrs B used it on vanilla ice cream and said it was delicious but I haven't tried that yet.

Comment

Working...
                                              X