Absolute and semi-constitutional monarchies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The King of Tonga died on Sunday, and has been credited with moves towards constitutionalism, but as in Swaziland and Bhutan, the reforms are fairly cosmetic, actively manipulated by the monarch to demonstrate his power, and while Morocco has democratised in the last decade, the royal prerogative can still be utilised ad hoc. Brunei, Oman, Qatar and Saudi Arabia sovereigns still exercise absolute power, the UAE emirs trade "constitutional" roles among themselves, while Shi'ite discontent in Bahrain has been well documented. None of the rulers claim a "divine right" to rule, but will popular discontent eventually foment revolution?

I'll dance on King fucking Mswati's grave when he does from veneral disease, the cunt. He lives the high life while people are starving, borrowing money from South Africa so he can but more toys, houses, wives and lots of stuff for his hanger-ons. He's an evil bastard.

And still, no revolution...

Comment

When does a military dictator officially become a monarch? Is it when he puts a little tin crown on and starts demanding people call him "Majesty"?

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
        I'll dance on King fucking Mswati's grave when he does from veneral disease, the cunt. He lives the high life while people are starving, borrowing money from South Africa so he can but more toys, houses, wives and lots of stuff for his hanger-ons. He's an evil bastard.

And still, no revolution...
        He has now renamed his kingdom "eSwatini":

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world...mpression=true

Comment

Now that the last of the Queen's corgi's has waddled off this canine coil, maybe it's time to talk about winding down the whole fucking monarchy once and for all. Others will say 'off with their heads', but I think something civilized like letting the Queen and the Prince die off naturally, then simply de-emphasize (and, of course, de-fund) the next generation. Keep the property and buildings for public use (tourism, culture, parks and that) but let them know that the 'next' generation will be the last. Nationalize the monarchy, if you will. And anyone found bowing to another human being or thinking of people as 'betters' or 'commoners' etc, will - as always - be shot at dawn.

Comment

I’m really hoping Charles lives long enough to fuck everything up. The institution is now synonymous with Her, no one (just about) has spent much of their adult life with any other Monarch. Even my gran’s sister that just turned 90, would only have been 24 when George snuffed it.Everyone loves that bland fuck Wills and his Lovely Wife but. Now War Hero possibly not quite the Full Royal and Markle have been taken to the Nation’s hearts as well. That’s the worry, those bland fucks know how to play the game and hang in there.

Comment

Never understood the tourism argument for retention either. The Louvre does fairly well as a gallery, I believe a few folk make the trip to Versailles despite the vile republican rhetoric of the dastard French.

Comment

It's official- I will challenge Big Ears for the CHOGM gig ( at first I misheard it as 'Cobham' and thought they could have found somewhere better to meet than Chelsea's training ground). The Gardner resume

* lived in member countries in 4 continents

* lifelong tolerance to mediocre sporting events televised at 3am

* beat the Tories in 3 successive elections

* on flywhisk waving terms with at least one African dictator

* ideally placed to reintegrate our Free State friends into the bosom of nations

Comment

True dat. It's not like you go to England to 'see' the Queen. She rarely comes down to the gate to meet the hordes.

Comment

My sister curtsied and presented flowers to Lizzie as a Brownie. Said she was tiny, and smiling, but she didn’t understand what Her Maj asked her. That fuckin accent is seldom heard in Fife, never a Queens Speech on by the time my sister was born. I’ve seen Charles whizz round the corner in a shiny black car to open a fuckin old folks home. Aged 9 I was soured in the whole deal. Why the fuck did we wave to a car after standing at the top of my street an hour?

Comment

HRM was fortunate enough to be in my presence on at least four occasions. We're on hand-waving terms I believe.

Comment

She waved at me once. Reagan did once, too.

Comment

Queen Mother once waved at me at Royal Ascot. Or it might have been the finger. She was so arthritic I couldn't tell.

Comment

Did she think you were a gin waiter?

Comment

Working...
                            X