The Flags Thread part 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Flags Thread part 3

I'm sure I'm missing a thread somewhere. We do talk about flags a lot on here but I couldn't find a recent, non competition thread.

I'm starting this as I've only just seen that Mississippi will be having a vote on their new flag. A design will be chosen by a committee of nine (I think all politicians) and that will be put to a referendum in November. If there is a no vote it looks like the procedure will continue indefinitely.

From the NZ experience, committee will probably make a choice bad enough to make voters stick with the current one. Though I realize the issues run a lot deeper there.

Comment

That isn't an option here at least. Mississippi would just carry on not having a flag until one is approved.

There was a referendum on the old flag in the past decade which was rather one sided. I do wonder what happens if enough people vote to spoil future referendums just because the old flag has been removed.

Comment

They’d have to do without.

Comment

I think that is pretty unlikely

Since the Republicans switched sides, the remaining defenders of the old flag have become rather scarce

Comment

I think the new flag has to have “In God We Trust” or some such religious bollocks on it, so it’s almost guaranteed to look crap.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
              From the NZ experience, committee will probably make a choice bad enough to make voters stick with the current one. Though I realize the issues run a lot deeper there.
              Didn't South Africa do something similar with the replacement for the interim "compromise" flag, all of which were worse so they stuck with what they'd got?

Comment

Yes

https://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/za!prop.html

Comment

But say what you like about the NSDAP, they wore cool uniforms and had a stylish flag.

(The BUF and UKIP's Parlophone label badges on the other hand were fucking shit)

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                    But say what you like about the NSDAP, they wore cool uniforms and had a stylish flag.
                    Yeah, Karl Diebitsch and Walter Heck certainly knew what they were about, and arguably modern branding was instituted, if not invented, by Joe Goebbels a little later.

Comment

Some 2,000 submissions that meet the criteria defined by the Legislature (including the text "In God We Trust") available at the link.

https://twitter.com/MDAH_Official/status/1290302273537617925

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

Yeah, Karl Diebitsch and Walter Heck certainly knew what they were about, and arguably modern branding was instituted, if not invented, by Joe Goebbels a little later.
                        Modern branding was started by Bass and the World's first trademark.

Comment

Had a quick scroll through that link. It's pretty uninspiring stuff (plus the usual troll entries). They'll likely just go through these hoops and then just replace the confederate bit of the flag with their state seal (which at least means the 'In God We Trust' gets automatically on there in smallprint)

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

Modern branding was started by Bass and the World's first trademark.
                            It's true it was probably England's first registered trademark, but that's different from saying it was the beginning of branding as a marketing exercise. The Bass/Charrington red triangle was almost certainly a shipping mark, probably a reasonably common one. It's shared by Apollinaris mineral water, for example, who registered it in Germany twenty-years after Bass. You can make the argument the triangle was an early logo but, once again, that's not the same as branding. If it were then the earliest examples would probably be livestock brands that go back at least as far as the ancient Egyptians. A modern brand includes everything that relates to an organisation's identity or personality. This includes product design, brand communication eg: logos, names, trademarks and various strategies intended to build awareness, loyalty and equity. Which is why I'd claim the Third Reich as pioneers.
                            Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 03-08-2020, 19:16.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                              Some 2,000 submissions that meet the criteria defined by the Legislature (including the text "In God We Trust") available at the link.

https://twitter.com/MDAH_Official/status/1290302273537617925
                              Why don't they get that "professional designer and graphic artist" Shrewsbury Town hired a few years ago to copy something a school in Scotland used from a clipart picture of a lion?

​​​​​​

Comment

A mistake was made. I quite like the looks of this:

Comment

So do I.

Comment

I especially like the idea that the flag (if I understand the article correctly) would be imprinted with the words "In God we Trust", so the huge mosquito would come across like some kind of deity.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                      I especially like the idea that the flag (if I understand the article correctly) would be imprinted with the words "In God we Trust", so the huge mosquito would come across like some kind of deity.
                                      I, for one, welcome…

Comment

They should just have a giant Elvis face saying the motto in a speech bubble.

Comment

Virtually every Scottish island seems to have gone down the Nordic Cross route - this time, Skye:

Comment

Unfortunately the boat in the canton appears to be trying to escape.

Comment

https://twitter.com/FairVoteMN/status/1730642422399410204?t=J-g6NrFZpi32ySdfYNBg_A&s=19

Comment

Thats pretty fuckin terrible eh.

Comment

None of the options stand out.

But it's infinitely better than the current one.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X