Iron sharpens iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iron sharpens iron

I wanted to thank those who have taken the time to instruct those of us who aren't always ready to listen

i'd particularly like to thank Tactical Genius delicatemoth and laverte for their patience and generosity towards those of us who aren't always ready to listen.

Agree re TG and laverte. For my part I realised I couldn't do anything else if I wanted to stay on the board, because people were going to talk about trans stuff whether I liked it or not and I could either sulk, leave or make the effort to tell it how it is. I'm glad you and others find it edifying and particularly glad that some take it off the board and discuss/argue wth other cis people.

Balderdasha should be mentioned too.

Comment

Definitely agree. I'd put you in this category too, Nef. And, also Posty Webber as it goes
      Last edited by ad hoc; 29-06-2020, 03:45.

Comment

The reason I have hung around here for 20+ years is to learn more about day to day experiences I am not exposed to. Twitter has been useful for that too, but nothing comes close to this board.

Comment

I absolutely agree. As well as everyone mentioned upthread, there are a number of other people who also have lived experiences utterly different to my very safe, privileged one who I learn from all the time. I don't think I could name them all because I'd embarrassingly forget someone.

Comment

I learn so much from this board, I don't do Twitter or anything else and this is my go to place for news.

Thanks to everyone who's enlightened me.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
              I learn so much from this board, I don't do Twitter or anything else and this is my go to place for news.

Thanks to everyone who's enlightened me.
              Same.

Comment

Thanks Nef.

If you go to the members' list for this forum, and sort by number of posts, i don't appear for 20 pages. It's not false modesty on my part to say that i don't belong in this particular pantheon. But i know why you started the thread and mentioned me in it, and it is very, very much to your credit.

Solomon's scribe must have been a tough fella. During one of my many slapstick falls, this one while i was out delivering leaflets for the Labour party in the snow (our candidate came fourth), i cracked my skull open on a metal spike. Ever since: headaches, foggy vision, fatigue. Iron goes badly with lady.

It snowed a lot the first winter i spent in England. i had recently arrived and hadn't yet learnt how to be English. As i walked to the school gates some boys threw snowballs at me, and inside each was the gift of a small rock. When i reported this to my mother, she told me to tell the teacher, and the day after i told the teacher, the rocks were bigger. So i turned to the only one who could help me, and God said: Suck it up. It will make you stronger. i did as He suggested. By Easter, i had left the school.

laverte's book of parables, 1:1. At least it's not sexist.

The list of posters on this forum that i would like to be thankful for is so long that the music would drown me out before i got even half of the way. i could not argue my heavy stuff if it weren't for tens of thousands of posts about looking after kids during lockdown, the correct width of a stripe on a football jersey, or the saga of German golf enthusiasts and their bursting bladders. The internet is full of people more articulate than i talking about racism and sexism, but the proverbial chimpanzees would have typed out all of Shakespeare's problem plays before they came up with a phrase like "a Gemma O'Doherty Jordan Peterson fanboy haggard masturbator frog emoji type/pig ignorant racist contrarian pub bore divorced dad/paranoid ma alliance". i'm really envious of people who can be funny on the internet. This is as good a place as i've come across. And in these times, i need it.

Here's the truth. Were i to see any of you folks crouched behind a car, rolling matter between your mittens, i'd feel quite confident that the projectile heading my way would be made of pure white snow. It will sting a little as it slaps my cold skin, but it won't crack me apart. And then it melts. So i'm not going anywhere, at least until i make it onto page 20.
                Last edited by laverte; 29-06-2020, 15:13.

Comment

Originally posted by laverte View Post
                  Here's the truth. Were i to see any of you folks crouched behind a car, rolling matter between your mittens, i'd feel quite confident that the projectile heading my way would be made of pure white snow. It will sting a little as it slaps my cold skin, but it won't crack me apart. And then it melts. So i'm not going anywhere, at least until i make it onto page 20.
                  Wonderfully expressed. Though that's no surprise of course. Thanks for being here... and staying.

Comment

Count me in the number humbled amongst giants. And supremely grateful for the privilege.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                      Definitely agree. I'd put you in this category too, Nef. And, also Posty Webber as it goes
                      Thanks man xx

I wish I was smart enough to contribute more fully. You lot are beasts.

Comment

Working...
                      X