Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One from down the road.

Comment

I went down to Brean Sands yesterday for a day out and I have to say that, whilst it was quite busy, it was clear that people were staying very much in their groups and socially distancing where possible. Cars were parked on the beach at various distances and people were setting up no more than a few feet from their cars.

My wife also got this awesome picture of myself playing with my twins:

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
        I thought the town centre was fine. Probably seen better days, but that's nothing out of the usual, these days. I'll be buying a house somewhere in a few years, and it went onto my list of places to look at more closely.
        Pal of mine from Wolverhampton days has just bought a terraced cottage in Kirkcaldy. He’s a Jambo so plans to get his season ticket to entertain him in retirement.

(I met him in Wolverhampton - at a Tony Benn rally during the miners’ strike someone said- meet Kenny, he’s Scottish too!
        We both rolled our eyes and said ‘oh well we’re bound to know each other already!” Cue punchline that his parents lived 50 yards away from mine in Dunfermline. Then my wee brother bought a house in their street)

Comment

Lovely photos Simon and UE.

I don't think that beaches, even crowded beaches, are particularly problematic when it comes to COVID-19 transmission, as long as people don't then crowd into surrounding cafes and restaurants. As someone said a few days ago, people naturally distance on beaches anyway. Happy to see any evidence to the contrary though.

Comment

We went to a chip shop on the front (cooked to order) that was letting in one person at a time and asking others to wait whilst socially distanced outside until their number was called.

Again, no complainers, and the wait for the chips was perfectly worthwhile. The only thing missing was a cold pint from the pub next door - but the wife was having none of it.

Comment

Prestonpans beach, which is the end of my street. More commonly known as the “shite” beach on this part of the coast. Musselburgh and Portobello to the West and then Port Seton and Gullane to the East all have lovely sandy beaches - hence why we can’t afford houses there.

not sure why it’s rotated 180 degrees, despite being shite it is the right way up in real life

Comment

Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post
                Me: "that looks like the big beach at Gairloch"
                <reads DP's following post>
                Me: "that IS the big beach at Gairloch"

(the wee beach is on the other side of the bay at Strath btw)

My gran used to live in Gairloch.
                Last edited by blameless; 11-08-2020, 19:57.

Comment

The view more or less from old front door of where I was brought up in the Black Isle, near Inverness.
                  Nice. Is that somewhere out Fortrose / Rosemarkie way?

Comment

Looks like where I parked before going to watch football in Avoch a couple of years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post

Nice. Is that somewhere out Fortrose / Rosemarkie way?
                      It’s Avoch. Fortrose is a mile or so away ( in the distance just to the right of the dark car), Rosemarkie is a further mile away.

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
                        Looks like where I parked before going to watch football in Avoch a couple of years ago.
                        It’s a bit of a walk (relatively speaking) to the football pitch from Ormonde Terrace, where the photo was taken. Any particular reason why you parked there?

Who were Avoch playing? Can you remember the score?

Comment

Can't remember why I ended up parking down there. Avoch beat NMM Sams 3-2.

Comment

Ahh. My knowledge of the Black Isle coast is somewhat hazy sometimes as my cousins live in Tore, which as far as I can tell is the only settlement round there which isnae on the coast...

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
                              Can't remember why I ended up parking down there. Avoch beat NMM Sams 3-2.
                              Sorry been away from Avoch , who are NMM Sams and where are they from? Roughly when was the game?

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post
                                Ahh. My knowledge of the Black Isle coast is somewhat hazy sometimes as my cousins live in Tore, which as far as I can tell is the only settlement round there which isnae on the coast...
                                Most of the villages are on the coast. Tore, Culbokie and Killen are all inland.

Comment

Sorry been away from Avoch , who are NMM Sams and where are they from? Roughly when was the game?
                                  It was a couple of years ago. I think NMM Sams are from Invernes, with the name relating to their sponsors.

Comment

Anglian Water officials assured people it wasn't sewage. I'll bet they did.
                                    Overflowing drains gushed silt and dust into the North Sea off the Norfolk coast.

Comment

Oh that's weird, I was just looking at that video half an hour ago then happened to catch up with this thread for the first time in weeks only to find it led to the same place!

Strange factoid (which might've come up early in this very thread, I forget) – I saw in the new millennium standing on that very stretch of Sheringham seafront seen on the video thumbnail.

Comment

Saltcoats, Ayr, Ardrossan, Stevenson* and Wemyss Bay (I had relatives at Wemyss Bay). Pictures below in the same order.

* Cracking pic of Stevenson... I don't remember it being that nice

Comment

There’s some beautiful beaches on the Isle of Man, where I now live. Port Erin and Peel (with the castle in the background) are my two favourites

Comment

And here’s Peel beach (see previous message)

Comment

Where shall I go on holiday? I've got two weeks off in a fortnight and I've realised I want to be away from London for a few days. I'm just thinking 3 or 4 nights.

I'm by myself, I probably won't want to do anything but I don't want somewhere completely without things to do. Walking the countryside is not my thing. Ideally I'd like a UK version of Heiligendamm but I think that might be a bit too much to ask. I'm not made of money but I'd rather spend a little bit more on a shorter stay than be somewhere run down.

I had a brief look at Portmerion but the main hotel there is booked out. Maybe on for the future.

Oh, and I do want the feeling of being away so nothing from Hants to Essex.

I know I've left this too late. And I suspect my dream of a renovated Victorian/Edwardian grand hotel is probably going to be too expensive but where does the branes trust think I should consider?

Comment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-56929622

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                                  Absolutely fantastic.

Comment

There’s some beautiful beaches on the Isle of Man, where I now live. Port Erin and Peel (with the castle in the background) are my two favourites
                                                    I used to live in that house immediately behind the breakwater. Two years all in I lived in Port Erin.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X