Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was a pre-teen wartime evacuee to Mummerset (almost)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was a pre-teen wartime evacuee to Mummerset (almost)

As revealed on a Facebook nostalgia group of my fellow boarding pupils at Methodist College Belfast in the 1970s.

During particularly violent periods- and particularly the NI General Strike of 1974 (largely run by the UDA) there were apparently plans to evacuate pupils unable to go to family locally to Kingswood School in Bath (also run by the Church). A narrow escape from a lifetime of Wurzelness

This was often hinted at by my mother at the time, although never made explicit. I think my Dad was up for it (his brother lived nearby in Salisbury) but Mum didn't get on with him or his then new wife so nowt came of it

Years later, my cousin Phil became a work colleague of OTF's Bored's wife in Bath. Small World...
    Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 10-06-2020, 11:29.

Kingswood School in Bath was fee-paying. No Wurzelness there.

Comment

I was thinking maybe of the historic Kingdom of Wurzel, which stretched North to the M42 and East as far as Reading

Comment

God forbid that you should have fetched up somewhere with a comical local accent, Dunc.

Comment

I'm hoping for a holiday in Ireland if we're ever allowed to travel again. One problem is not being able to tell family and friends there to listen/ look out for a bald Englishman (my hair is growing back)

In the meantime, I am using the time to learn a new language by watching Doreen Tipton videos

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
            In the meantime, I am using the time to learn a new language by watching Doreen Tipton videos
            It wor all Harry Harrison and Dolly Allen in my day.

The Black Country Night Out always looked like something you might get taken to as punishment for killing a grandparent.

Comment

Working...
            X