How do birds know what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    We put out a ton of bird feeder stuff and don't mind the squirrels (who have high-pitched warning cries if they see cats]
    Squirrels are a bit like wedding guests shoving all the buffet into black bags and taking them away before other guests (closer to the happy couple) have had a chance to get so much as a cheese straw. If they just helped themselves to what they could reasonably eat, I’d have no problem with them.

Comment

And yet the German word for such behaviour invokes Hamsters instead

Comment

I just love Erskine Bridges's glorious blow-by-blow account there. Oystercatchers nesting on the roof! Red squirrels on the windowsill! Greeny-yellow things in the garden! An excited Mrs EB in the bedroom! What's not to like?

Comment

The greeny yellow ones were Siskins, I reckon.

Comment

Our wood pigeon (well one of the pair). They've been busy.

Comment

MsD to thread.

Comment

Mrs P is in absolute delight, having discovered two pairs of nesting wrens in our hedges and spent ten minutes just sat as the parents and a fledgling took it in turns to look at her from close quarters.

There is also a goldfinch that is spending a lot of time in the garden and has an uncanny knack of knowing when precisely she doesn't have a camera to hand.

Comment

Working...
                X