No announcement yet.

Statues to racists and slaveowners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 he's being getting away with shit like this for years as the " edgy " historian. He seems to have a particular problem with female historians as well.

Comment

Aggressive misogyny is an important element of this particular "brand"

Comment

It was one of those jaw-dropping comments that made me think "Uh-oh, Nef's fallen for fake news again." Appears I was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post

I have no doubt that the people pulling that statue down broke a law somewhere. The law seems to have punished them to the minimal possible extent in order to make the matter closed.
          Yeah, soz I get that. It was that once the council had made the complaint - which it didn't have to do - the rest followed. There was no real appetite for prosecutions in Bristol AFAIK. Even the local paper refused to circulate the pictures of the topplers. The (local) police have done as well as they could have in these circumstance (as opposed to the Police Federation who can fuck right off).

Comment

Starkey said the quiet part loud

https://twitter.com/louis_allday/status/1278636923330928642?s=21

Comment

Starkey's an old fraud anyway, almost all of the historians who have a wider public persona are: Niall Ferguson, Andrew Roberts, even Simon Scharma to an extent. The moment they try to expand beyond their very narrow speciality (which in Starkey's case is Henry VIII and fuck all else) they begin to look very mediocre indeed.

Comment

As at least one commenter under that Twitter thread has pointed out, that would also mean that the Holocaust wasn't a genocide, although Starkey's probably cunning enough to not actually say that out loud.

The whole thing also means Starkey doesn't understand the meaning of the word genocide, which isn't that unusual but I feel we should expect better general knowledge from a prominent public intellectual.

What a nasty old goat.

Comment

Originally posted by ooh aah View Post
                  Starkey's an old fraud anyway, almost all of the historians who have a wider public persona are: Niall Ferguson, Andrew Roberts, even Simon Scharma to an extent. The moment they try to expand beyond their very narrow speciality (which in Starkey's case is Henry VIII and fuck all else) they begin to look very mediocre indeed.
                  Never heard of the first two, I think you're being harsh on Scharma.

Comment

Schama.

Comment

Apologies.

Comment

Ferguson has the honour of his own OTF thread.

https://www.onetouchfootball.com/for...-charlatan-c-t

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                          Apologies.
                          Hey, I'm blaming ooh aah. And me for being so rude as to point it out.

Comment

Yeah sorry, was typing on my phone, not really thinking about it. I like Schama, his History of Britain, while not without its flaws, was still a great doc. He also did The Power of Art, which was very good. But when he enters the realm of politics, he's a bit wishy washy, and not very consistent. I only really included him to not make it look like I was ragging on the right wingers. I did add 'to an extent' when I mentioned him.

Generally I find the historians who are more likely to stick to their area, and only go beyond that when asked (say, Antony Beevor, Mary Beard, Adrian Goldsworthy) are the ones I'd like to hear more from. The ones itching to be front and centre can fuck off, and get back to doing some research for a change.

Comment

There is tremendous inherent danger for any historian in venturing far outside of one's area of expertise in a quest to be " more relevant". Schama's work on the Dutch Golden Age remains extremely important.

Comment

Let's have a TV historians thread...

Comment

There's that awful Scottish fella, with the hair. He's awful.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                    There's that awful Scottish fella, with the hair. He's awful.
                                    Neil Olivier, he's certainly full of himself.

Comment

Oh Jeremy Corbyn...

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/102140901354258432?s=21

Comment

He's not a historian, he's an archaeologist. His BBC4 pseudo histories on Scotland and "clans" were a fuckin disgrace. Think he's off to New Zealand now after being shite at running the Scottish National Trust. A fuckin Unionist of course, and was laying into BLM the other week like the cunt he is.

Comment

Oliver seems to be a right cunt

https://twitter.com/oldnorthroad/status/1278792033155637248?s=21
                                          Black lives don’t matter

https://twitter.com/independent/status/1278613917913223168?s=21

Comment

I'd practically forgotten that Neil Oliver existed, and had to google a bit to see what he's done or said recently to cause offence, but having learnt from that that he supported Cummings after his Durham and Barnard Castle jaunts, yes, he is total scum.

Comment

That's the badger. He's rotten.

[Edit: As LS said]
                                              Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 03-07-2020, 09:55.

Comment

A new statue has appeared on the empty Colston plinth. It's of Jen Reid, a Black Lives Matter protester who climbed onto the plinth and gave a black power fist salute: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-53414463

Comment

That’s grand, that.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                                    A new statue has appeared on the empty Colston plinth. It's of Jen Reid, a Black Lives Matter protester who climbed onto the plinth and gave a black power fist salute: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-53414463
                                                    They should leave it up there for 100 years whilst everyone drags their feet with endless discussions. See how the racist like that

Comment

Working...
                                                    X