Who buys a stolen steering wheel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who buys a stolen steering wheel?

There's been a spate of curious thefts from BMWs around central Lancashire, where the thieves have been breaking into cars and nicking (along with radios) the steering wheels.

I can't get my head around where the market is for someone needing to buy a steering wheel (unless yours has been nicked I suppose). Do they often go wrong? And if they do, and you can afford a BMW, do you get one off ebay or a shifty bloke down the pub or get one via your BMW dealership?

This reminds me of a kid I was in school with who got caught nicking a car badge off a car. The police then found he had a box of car badges under his bed.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair fan Struggling to find a fence to take the most recent haul, are we?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
        This reminds me of a kid I was in school with who got caught nicking a car badge off a car. The police then found he had a box of car badges under his bed.
        Was that during the Beastie Boys' inspired VW badge craze, PT, or was it a more general hobby?

Comment

Benjm I think so. Would have been about 1986.

Another thought is maybe it's someone gradually nicking a BMW. A bit at a time and then building their own.

Comment

There was the similar "Corsa Cannibals" scare a few years back (well, the press tried to make it into a scare). Bit more serious than a steering wheel, but it's a slippery slope y'know.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...t-end-12299163

Comment

Another thought is maybe it's someone gradually nicking a BMW. A bit at a time and then building their own.
              You could be on to something there. The Baader Meinhof gang were renowned for being loyal BMW drivers, if not exactly customers. Maybe they are having a revival but adopting an ultra-cautious approach to transport acquisition.

Comment

It's been going on for years with BMWs. Almost every BMW I see has had its indicator lights stolen.

Comment

I got arrested once, in Gijon. Three of us, after a heavy night out, were attempting to take a short cut through the station. We were stopped by a security guard and his savage alsatian. He forced us to back up against a wall while he called the friendly men in blue. I was so drunk that I don't know how much of this is memory and how much what I've been told, but never mind...The police arrived and took us down the clink, handcuffing us first. They wanted to know why one of us had been carrying a huge casserole dish and another one of those "Men At Work" moveable roadsigns. And they accused us of wanting to beat up the security guard using these "weapons". They asked my friend why he had the sign and he answered that it was a habit of his...as indeed it was...for no particular reason, he had collected a dozen or more road signs in his bedroom...

To cut a long story short, the security guard didn't want to take the matter further...no doubt to save him from ridicule from his mates and boss. The story appeared in the local press with only our first names appeared in full (initials for our surnames) This was enough to identify us, with the resulting problems and kudos which one would expect from such publicity.

Comment

I think it's someone who has taken a wrong turning in life.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                      I got arrested once, in Gijon. Three of us, after a heavy night out, were attempting to take a short cut through the station. We were stopped by a security guard and his savage alsatian. He forced us to back up against a wall while he called the friendly men in blue. I was so drunk that I don't know how much of this is memory and how much what I've been told, but never mind...The police arrived and took us down the clink, handcuffing us first. They wanted to know why one of us had been carrying a huge casserole dish and another one of those "Men At Work" moveable roadsigns. And they accused us of wanting to beat up the security guard using these "weapons". They asked my friend why he had the sign and he answered that it was a habit of his...as indeed it was...for no particular reason, he had collected a dozen or more road signs in his bedroom...

To cut a long story short, the security guard didn't want to take the matter further...no doubt to save him from ridicule from his mates and boss. The story appeared in the local press with only our first names appeared in full (initials for our surnames) This was enough to identify us, with the resulting problems and kudos which one would expect from such publicity.
                      The casserole dish element of this memoir intriguingly appears from no where, and then no more is spoken of it, like any reader worthy of the prose would immediately piece together the back story. I have to say, thinking about possible eventualities has filled my 50 minute journey into work this morning.

Comment

I took the casserole dish from a rubbish bin when drunk, thinking it might come in useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                          I took the casserole dish from a rubbish bin when drunk, thinking it might come in useful.
                          Think it's time to move on, don't get in a stew.

Comment

To kind-of answer Rogin's original question: replacement airbags are expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                              To kind-of answer Rogin's original question: replacement airbags are expensive.
                              Touch wood, I've never had to find that out ...

Comment

I think Sporting has the answer in the 'I want to buy a road bike' thread.

Comment

A colleague of mine bought a Skoda Superb- his pride and joy- a couple of years ago, and a few months later I noticed that his bonnet and boot badges had gone. He bought generic replacements because Skoda badges cost thirtyodd quid each, and obviously I took the p for quite a while. However, he said he couldn't be too upset as he'd had an extensive collection of stolen car badges as a kid. It seems that the trick is to saw them off with dental floss, if anyone's considering a new hobby.

Comment

Benjm I think so. Would have been about 1986.

https://youtu.be/18cW_yHo3PY

Comment

Working...
                                    X