The country you personally most respect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The country you personally most respect

I'll leave it suitably open-ended, except for it combining politics, sports and culture - the top four or five will then go forward to a poll.

Weird thread.

Comment

That's ok - lot of weird people on here

New Zealand have about the only prime minister that I respect, and their lack of whingeing in defeat (cricket world cup final) could teach a lot of nations a thing or two.

Comment

Agree with pebble

Comment

New Zealand or Iceland for me.

Comment

Germany

Comment

Germany or Denmark for me, though purely as a visitor and I don't know how it would be to live in either.

Comment

There's obviously a built-in bias to wealthier countries here: there's unlikely to be a first class health system in many developing nations, for example.

To change the question slightly, in my lifetime there have been various countries held up as Good Guys for a while, and then they faded as events or fashions changed. Yugoslavia was Good back when being non-Soviet was enough to get a favourable image. It didn't last. The Nordics are always there or thereabouts. Perhaps the poster nation for "never in the bad headlines but we don't really know anything about them" has been Costa Rica.
                Last edited by tee rex; 02-06-2020, 11:40. Reason: spelling as usual

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                  There's obviously a buit-in bias to wealthier countries here: there's unlikely to be a first class health system in many developing nations, for example.

To change the question slightly, in my lifetime there have been various countries held up as Good Guys for a while, and then they faded as events or fashions changed. Yugoslavia was Good back when being non-Soviet was enough to get a favourable image. It didn't last. The Nordics are always there or thereabouts. Perhaps the poster nation for "never in the bad headlines but we don't really know anything about them" has been Costa Rica.

One of my best mates lives in Costa Rica so I now know a bit more about it than I did a few years ago. It does seem like an island of calm civility in an ocean of violence and instability, relatively-speaking at least.

My vote goes to one of the Nordic nations, though I'm not sure which one.

I'll plump for Norway.

Comment

Denmark would get my vote but I don't know if they still go whaling. Estonia seems pretty okay, as does Latvia.

Comment

Nepal, if I’m remembering correctly.

Would be New Zealand but for Winston Peters.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                        Denmark would get my vote but I don't know if they still go whaling. Estonia seems pretty okay, as does Latvia.
                        TBF, that's in the Faroes and Greenland, rather than "mainland" Denmark.

Comment

I've got a soft spot for Scotland at the moment. Keeping its dignity, and it's head up in an ever rising sea of shit.

Comment

Costa Rica. No army. Pretty good football team. Election day is a national holiday. All good.

Comment

I'll have Canada, with a runner-up spot for Norway.

Comment

Uruguay is meant to be pretty good if you are social democracy minded.

Comment

If you think another country's shit doesn't smell, it's generally a marker that you don't know enough about them. For instance Denmark seems to have it going on in so many different ways. However if you pay closer attention, it seems that fixing most social and economic problems in a society just means that people find something else to focus their anger on, and in this case it's muslims.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                    If you think another country's shit doesn't smell, it's generally a marker that you don't know enough about them. For instance Denmark seems to have it going on in so many different ways. However if you pay closer attention, it seems that fixing most social and economic problems in a society just means that people find something else to focus their anger on, and in this case it's muslims.
                                    Tend to agree, I'd say you're on the same hiding to nothing looking for a country that's deserving of lots of admiration and respect as you would be trying to find politicians to idolise or respect. Sure a lot are better than others, and you'll probably like a few, but there's going to be some mark against them somewhere.

As far as I'd pick any, it would be a small and quiet one. San Marino seems to have been sitting on its hill minding its own business for the last 1700 years, so them.

Comment

San Marino has by far the highest Covid19 death rate of any nation. Admittedly that;s only 42 deaths, but that's a rate of over 1200 per million. May not be a failure of its systems, mind you, it may be a feature of being surrounded by the worst affected areas of Italy.

Comment

Germany in 1st place, just edging out Iceland.

Comment

There were some financial shenanigans in Iceland, weren't there?

Comment

More than a few, but then they did put senior bankers in jail.

Comment

Country Pros Cons
                                              New Zealand Jacinda Ahern
                                              Flight of the Concords
                                              Cricket
                                              Multiculturalism
                                              Scenery and ting
                                              tee rex and lurgee
                                              Rugby union
                                              Winston Peters
                                              Lord of the fucking rings
                                              Bit earthquakey
                                              Denmark Social systems
                                              Apparently unboastful
                                              Victor Borge
                                              Viggo Mortensen
                                              The Laudrups
                                              The Bridge
                                              Bit islamophobic
                                              Apparent unboastfulness conceals obsession
                                              with world beating products ("best beer"
                                              "best bacon" "best butter". Give it a rest lads)
                                              John Jensen
                                              Hygge
                                              Iceland Nice flag
                                              Cool landscape
                                              Good government
                                              Overachieving football team
                                              Siggi Jonsson
                                              A bit far (see also: NZ)
                                              A bit volcano-ey
                                              That viking clapping chant the football fans do
                                              Also the name of what used to be Bejam
                                              Costa Rica No army
                                              National parks and general environmental protection
                                              Seems chilled
                                              Paulo Wanchope
                                              "Pura Vida" sounds a bit cultish
                                              Beans and rice seems a bit meh for a national cuisine

Comment

ad hoc ^ good summary, but there is a bit of racism in NZ, disappointingly. Also, they drive like fucking maniacs.

Comment

Has anyone mentioned Portugal?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X