Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
    I'll miss his Spitting Image puppet
    We’ll need a home for retired Spitting Image puppets before long.

Or just maybe stick them in a new show with better writing.

Comment

No need to retire the puppet. He might have left No. 10, for now at least, but he'll remain (heh!) a prominent political figure.

Comment

Carrie seems to be the dumbed down WAG equivalent of Marcia Williams, the private secretary of Harold Wilson. Speaking of whom, I never knew this (Wiki):

In 1967, Wilson sued the pop group The Move for libel after the band's manager Tony Secunda published a promotional postcard for the single "Flowers in the Rain", featuring a caricature depicting Wilson in bed with Falkender. Wilson won the case, and all royalties from the song were assigned in perpetuity to a charity of Wilson's choosing.

Comment

I find the Carrie thing quite bewildering. I can't really make this point clearly for legal reasons connected with a story that was circulating a few months ago, where one needed to Twitter-search a key compound noun to find out what was going on, and we were all careful not to expose this board to liability, but I'll just say that there's an odd contrast between her apparent lack of control over Johnson in, ahem, matters relevant to her status as his fiancee and, if we believe some stuff to come out in the last 48 hours, her apparent excessive influence over his actions as PM.

Comment

We have no idea what her influence is or is not on either story. We have just seen a staged performance from a government whose expertise in staging events for the media appears their only area of competence.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
              Carrie seems to be the dumbed down WAG equivalent of Marcia Williams, the private secretary of Harold Wilson. Speaking of whom, I never knew this (Wiki):
              I remember this got a lot of mentions when John Major sued the New Statesman (and nearly put it out of business) in the early 90s for its allegations that he was having an affair with a caterer* - I think the Wilson case was then the previous time a PM had sued for libel.

*If only they had alleged that he'd had an affair with Edwina Currie, they wouldn't have lost the libel case and would have got the scoop at a time it was most interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                ....there's an odd contrast between her apparent lack of control over Johnson in, ahem, matters relevant to her status as his fiancee and, if we believe some stuff to come out in the last 48 hours, her apparent excessive influence over his actions as PM.
                Some reports of some stories might suggest that she might have established control in several matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

It was pretty big news at the time. Private Eye had been trailing oblique comments for ages, so the only real surprise was how clumsy Secunda's cartoon was. The Move weren't happy with him either.

Comment

Is Gove the guy who was against the Belfast Agreement?

Comment

Yup.

Comment

I've just read some Marcia Williams obituaries.

It was a very different time.

Comment

She died surprisingly recently.

Comment

https://twitter.com/sime0nstylites/status/1327703289824235522

Comment

Good Lord!

Comment

The Observer joining in the sentimental bullshit

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1327726222764290048?s=20

Comment

Johnson now has to self-isolate after coming into contact with a positive Covid case.

Comment

Kuenssberg has only just heard. She now has to go looking for news instead of having it spoonfed to her.

Comment

https://www.personneltoday.com/hr/ad...eives-pay-off/

Sajid Javid's former adviser receives a pay off after being sacked by Cummings. Settled before it went to the tribunal.

Comment

That's from November. Thought I'd already heard that news.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                          That's from November. Thought I'd already heard that news.
                                          Sorry, didn't check the date. It just appeared in my news feed and I'd assumed it was new.

Comment

Working...
                                          X