Shredding. Deleting and So on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shredding. Deleting and So on

We know it happened at News International -and the man allegedly responsible is shortlisted for BBC Director generalship

And with Boris Johnson's correspondence at the Mayor of London

and in a minor wat with Tony Blair's expenses

Now it's happened with the list of donors at Change UK

https://twitter.com/yorksranter/status/1263820162978983941?s=20

given the importance of these documents and the legal requirement to keep them- you'd have thought that they'd be preserved at all costs.

If Snake can protect this site from hackers you'd have thought that those responsible would understand why they need to keep backups, but apparently not.

Still at least we can be reassured knowing those responsible will face the full force of the law....

Aren't Cummings et al using a message system that automatically deletes stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
      If Snake can protect this site from hackers you'd have thought that those responsible would understand why they need to keep backups, but apparently not.
      It's very, very, very easy to set systems up that keep this information by default - in cloud based stuff it is probably harder to ensure deletion. I've always considered "the emails were deleted" to be highly, highly suspicious as an excuse because any competent admin would have backups and automatic retention policies in place as part of their job and any request to bypass those I would insist on requiring in writing.*

TBH, the law hasn't really caught up with IT capabilities and it is very easy to use this as a workaround.

*And then I'd make my own personal backup of such a request.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
        Aren't Cummings et al using a message system that automatically deletes stuff?
        Signal.

And they are - I think - doing so illegally. Gove has been using Gmail for Ministerial business as well.

Ultimately, they know they can get away with it.

Comment

Yep, no one gives a shit about it, at least, no one that will do anything.

​​​​It's from the same school of thought as removing funding for research so you can say there's no evidence to support a contention. As seen in the Trump administration's approach to, well, everything.

Comment

Working...
          X