Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you taken any annual leave during lockdown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
    Other than bank holidays, I've only taken a couple of days off - the Tuesday after Easter and another next Tuesday. I had planned to take eight days over Easter, but cancelled most of them as I couldn't go anywhere.

I'm half expecting to end up in a situation similar to a couple of years ago when I saved my holiday as I was going to move house. However there were various delays and the sale eventually fell through, so I found myself in October with about four weeks of holiday to take. By this point I had already arranged various meetings and assessments for the remainder of the year, so ended up having working two or three days per week for what was left of that year.
    In a previous job many years ago I worked full time in a seconded project team in which the project didn't go to plan, and the director in charge was fond of declaring "no leave in January", "no leave in February" etc, until we got towards the end of November and we all handed in leave sheets to take the rest of the year off under our "use it or lose it" policy, and deals were quickly done to allow payment for untaken leave / additional carry forward.

It worked out ok for me anyway as we were moving into a new house that December and there was loads to do to get settled in before Christmas so I didn't mind taking a couple of weeks in December but now I always work right up to Xmas Eve and am baffled by people deliberately holding leave back in the summer and then finishing on December 7th or whatever.

Comment

We'd booked a couple of days before Easter (supposedly to go to Weymouth) and have the last week in May booked off (was to have been Northumberland). As it is we're still using the holidays we previously booked, and just having those holidays at home. I feel like I need them far more than I usually do tbh.
      Last edited by Jimski; 18-05-2020, 19:58.

Comment

I've got next week off (and then another week towards the end of June). Mostly because I've not had a non-weekend/bank holiday day off since last November and I'm also feeling a little frazzled by work. I had 5 days rolled over from last year so I've still got a good amount of time left to book.

Comment

It's a sign that Christmas has arrived, when, in the first week of December, you start getting the auto-reply saying "I am now on Annual Leave and will be back in the office on January 14. If your query is urgent..."

Comment

Just helped my wife draft an email to her staff about taking time off during the lockdown. Thanks for all your help.

Comment

I turned Cesar Chavez Day into a 5-day weekend, I was scheduled for vacation during that time anyway.

Comment

I’m on fucking furlough so no, and I am going to have a shitload of time to take off when I’m back. They’re talking about allowing staff to take it over two years, since otherwise people just wouldn’t be in the office for a whole month at a time, if not longer.

Comment

am currently on my second rostered leave week since the start of lockdown.holiday plans in tatters but the weathers decent enough so its fine

Comment

I've decided to take the last week of June off. Who knows I might get to go see my neice on her birthday that week. I've also got a kit of Ivor the Engine to build and that looks like it will need drying and setting time. It's a G scale kit so reasonably big as it's meant for garden railways.

Comment

A couple more days for me, today and tomorrow. And another day later this month. Might have to do a full week next week, though. Bad.

Comment

Just had 10 weeks of working from home full-time. Our company asked everyone to get their owed leave as at 1/7/2020 down to 10 days. I booked 2 weeks leave accordingly, starting yesterday thinking this Covid thing would be over and me and the wife could visit friends in Queensland but no luck (Queenslad have still got their borders closed), so my wife has cancelled her leave and I'm going to do a bit of gardening and a fair bit of golf. Better than work anytime.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                          I've decided to take the last week of June off. Who knows I might get to go see my neice on her birthday that week. I've also got a kit of Ivor the Engine to build and that looks like it will need drying and setting time. It's a G scale kit so reasonably big as it's meant for garden railways.
                          That sounds excellent- will you be posting photos of the finished article?
                          I'm another one 'working from home' which is really not the same as working from the office, I find. Putting in the hours, but not all of the minutes would be the best way of describing it. The commuting is much easier. And like others above, I'll be taking the leave I'd already booked, so looking forward to breaking up on 12th June for a fortnight . I expect the weather will have broken by then.

Comment

I can carry leave over to next year, so no panic. But I had leave planned for the end of this month, and I can't get a flight back to the UK yet. I'm not moaning too much, but I haven't seen Mrs. VT and my younger daughter since they left Tanzania on the 2nd January. The plan is now to aim for a July flight (supposing flights open up here), have some time with the family and return two weeks later with the elder daughter, so she can recommence school. Our week in an Anglesey cottage for June has been rebooked for Christmas week.

Comment

Oooh, Anglesey in December! Make sure to pack extra sun cream!

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
                                I can carry leave over to next year, so no panic. But I had leave planned for the end of this month, and I can't get a flight back to the UK yet. I'm not moaning too much, but I haven't seen Mrs. VT and my younger daughter since they left Tanzania on the 2nd January. The plan is now to aim for a July flight (supposing flights open up here), have some time with the family and return two weeks later with the elder daughter, so she can recommence school. Our week in an Anglesey cottage for June has been rebooked for Christmas week.
                                Good news for me - QR flights to Kilimanjaro to resume next week. I've got a return flight to Manchester late July, and I'll be bringing elder daughter back to Tanzania in time for school to restart. 14 of my 16 days will be in self-isolation, but we have a garden with lots of things for me to fix (shed needs refelting, greenhouse needs work, guttering needs doing) - and we'll be able to chill out together.

Comment

I'm taking a week off in a couple of weeks' time. Well, I say off, I'll be typing up my M92 coursework.

I have two proper weeks off in September when we'd hoped to have a break in Portugal (or, more likely, Malta again) but that seems highly unlikely.

Comment

Oh, and i was supposed to have a long weekend at the beginning of August to go to the Berlin Beer Festival, but that's also gone breasts north.

Comment

As each month passes my chunks of scheduled leave have been shuffling towards the end of the calendar year. Recently my wife's school announced they'd be open an extra week, meaning a further replan.

So far I have consumed 4 days from this year's 31 day entitlement (at the start of Jan I bought extra days).

July we hope to have a week in Keswick.
                                      August we hope to have a long weekend in Devon.
                                      October half-term unplanned as yet.
                                      Christmas in France, hopefully.

That leaves me with a chunk still to use, but if Mrs HORN goes down to four days a week in September (that's her wish) I will use my remaining days to spend with her on her day off.

Comment

i get loads of leave and because i had the first 3 months of the year as a career break. my company paid me in error which i told them about. but they have also given me the annual leave allowance for that time. i kinda think i ve done with correcting their errors in my favour and my job is quite stressful. so have considered it die reward for my efforts.

im taking today monday and tuesday off and doing cycle tour of the cotswolds. so some long rides in order to get back to stratford on avon

then the big SOA BLM march this PM.

Comment

Booked a week off mid July and rented a small cottage in a very quiet part of the Lakes, handily placed for beach walks and hill walks (we can head out straight from our doorstep for both...)...Can't wait (small gamble that we are allowed to rent self-catering accommodation as of the 4th of July, dead cheap so worth it...)

Just hoping for the weather now...

Comment

I had booked today off at the start of the year to watch the first day of the second test against the West Indies at Edgbaston. Scrubbed that when the test got cancelled and, it would seem, there might not have been any play today anyway, due to the weather...

Comment

I've got 28 days to take before the end of the year. As we're moving buildings at work in August and September, there isn't a hope in hell that I'll get to take any leave then. And Scotland's still shut (as they're doing lockdown properly there), so there's no chance to visit my family either.

As I've worked all through Covid (sometimes WFH, but mostly coming to site) and can see myself possibly being done out of annual leave, I can see a massive row with our HR department on the horizon.

Comment

I'm off all next week on leave. No alarm clocks, nice long walks with the dogs, spending some quality time with my wife, not working 10 hours a day - am looking forward to it immensely.

Comment

I decided at the start of this week, seeing as I knew I was going to be up well past midnight last night, to book off today and tomorrow, for nothing else than to maybe go for a walk, do a bit of shopping and sit in a pub beer garden somewhere.

It's pissed down all day long, I've not even left the house, and I'm currently watching a film on the horror channel about witches starring Luke Goss that is every bit as good as it sounds. Even so I'm glad of the day off.

Comment

I took two days a couple of weeks ago and tacked them onto a weekend. I have 15 more days to use up and nothing specific in mind to do with them.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X