Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you taken any annual leave during lockdown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you taken any annual leave during lockdown?

I've been lucky enough to have still been working during lockdown, either at the office or from home. I haven't taken any annual leave during that time, as there seems little point - I only ever normally take leave to enjoy a bit of travel or to go shopping and go to the pub to watch weekday sport like the tennis, golf, cricket or footy finals, and you can't do any of that now.

As I presume employees on furlough don't need to apply for leave at all, is one of the first effects of things going back to normal going to be people saying "well now I'm back I'd better use my leave then"? I've got 23 days to take by the end of 2020, effectively a solid month, and have to think about some ways to take it or I'll lose it.
    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 18-05-2020, 14:39.

I took one day to extend the bank holiday weekend. Debating when to take a full week, probably not until I've finished the big project I have over the next couple months. I took a lot of staycations in the beforetimes, so it doesn't seem pointless to me. It's still time off work.

Comment

I've been working as well, my winter/ spring leave was due in March but I was allowed to defer it, as long as I take it before 30th November, my summer leave is the last two weeks of July, I have to take that at the time.

Comment

I haven't taken any leave since we've been on lockdown - I'm hardly able to put a full day's work in anyway - but several co-workers have taken days off here and there, just to avoid having to deal with the daily meetings, I think.

Comment

I take afternoons here and there, sometimes I use up accrued hours. No point wasting too much leave to go on another local ride or walk when I have daylight until 9pm...Even a full day means I am done by 5ish at latest...

Comment

Public holidays aside, I've not had any time off work since lockdown started, but have my first day off next week - only because it's my birthday (and happens to coincide with my weekly 1:1 with my manager, so that's a bonus).

Our HR department keeps encouraging us all to take holidays even during lockdown - ostensibly because it's important for our mental health, but really because they're worried about everyone having too much holiday to use up on return to work and thereby knackering our project schedules for the rest of the year.

Comment

I took two weeks of Honeymoon At Home. Should really put up the travel report on here...

Comment

I'd booked the first week of the lockdown off back in February and still took it off. As I work from home all of the time and thanks to the antics of some in the Cyber world and continuation of internal audits, I've been as busy as ever if not more so, since March 23rd. Have another week booked off in June as a break from the stresses of the job do me good and I can get to spend some quality time with my wife and out and about with the dogs.

Comment

I had four days booked off the week after Easter to look after the kids on school holidays. Cancelled it, but work has required us to take 25% of annual leave by the end of June so I have a fair few long weekends built in. I start stressing on a Sunday evening about what awaits me when I log in on Monday morning so I can't say that I enjoy the short breaks.

Comment

Our office is mandating everyone take the first two weeks of August to avoid the situation where we get back to the office in late August and everyone wants to use their holiday after taking no holiday during lockdown.

I've taken a couple of long weekends which in retrospect weren't that relaxing as I was either doing a couple of bits and pieces on the day or working longer than I otherwise would have before and after.

Comment

Originally posted by Nurse Duckett View Post
                      Our HR department keeps encouraging us all to take holidays even during lockdown - ostensibly because it's important for our mental health, but really because they're worried about everyone having too much holiday to use up on return to work and thereby knackering our project schedules for the rest of the year.
                      Similar to our place, not so much the project schedules as we're not a project driven place, but HR are nervous about what would happen if either some form of normality returns in say late August, and most of the organisation books most of September off while there is still decent weather to enjoy fully; or if it doesn't return by then and they are required to allow people to carry forward more than they usually can, and people then start booking 4-6 week holidays next summer.

In either of these scenarios I am part of the "people" - I'm already cancelling leave I had booked for long weekends and if my summer holiday gets nixed then I'll be aiming to make the best use of the resulting spare leave when I can, and if it means taking off much of July and August next year, that's fine by me.

I'm trying to avoid any situation where I, or any of my team, are forced to take leave when we don't want to do so.

Comment

Our holiday year ends at the end of June, so we're all having to take time off even though we don't want to.

Comment

My employer forced everybody to stick to holiday that they'd booked before the lockdown, to mitigate the potential for absolutely everybody all using their holidays at the same time, at some unknown point in the future when things are eased. So I was forced to have the guts of a week off about a month ago, when I should have been at the Roadburn festvial in Tilburg, and ended up sitting at home wishing I was in work.

Was thinking earlier that I might start sprinkling some days off here and there in the forthcoming weeks once I've got through some of the work that's piled up and things start to dry up a little (because this is when I'll be forced to do all the very dull, non-urgent work that in normal times everybody sticks on the backburner).

Comment

Ironically I bought an extra week's holiday just prior to this shitstorm. I've asked about carrying it forward to 2021 but my place is so full of half-wits who spend their lives bottling decisions I envisage having fifteen days to use up in December.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                              I took one day to extend the bank holiday weekend. Debating when to take a full week, probably not until I've finished the big project I have over the next couple months. I took a lot of staycations in the beforetimes, so it doesn't seem pointless to me. It's still time off work.
                              Yeah, I don't really get this idea that taking time off is a waste of time if you're not going anywhere. A day off at home where I can have a lie in or do whatever I fancy is very different to my typical work day of being sat at the computer for ten hours straight trying to stay on top of whatever urgent rubbish is being thrown my way.

Comment

Ooh, another new Covid thread.

Our leave year is April - March, so not much had been booked when this started. We're being "encouraged" to take at least week before then end of June. I'm not "encouraging" anyone myself. I've taken the two days I had to carry over - something I absolutely hate doing - and I've got another one booked tomorrow, and a couple next week. So anyone who wants to hassle me any further can bugger off.

Comment

We run our own company. The good part of this is that my husband is often at home and able to help out a bit during the week. The bad part is that there is no such thing as annual leave. We haven't had a holiday where my husband has been completely able to switch off from work in the last six years.

Comment

Our holiday year runs to the end of May, so we all had to take a fair bit. I like it, tbh. Even if I can't travel, I like not having to work when it's springtime and I can get out and about in long hours of daylight.

Comment

I'm having two days leave deducted for every three weeks I'm furloughed after the first three weeks (e.g. if I am furloughed for 6 weeks I lose 2 days leave). I am likely to be furloughed until the end of June so I will likely lose 6 days annual leave minimum.

I usually take three days leave between Christmas and New year but this year I won't put any in and will instead "work from home", in the loosest sense possible.

Comment

Being furloughed from the holiday travel industry, I haven't a fucking clue as to what's going on.

Comment

I had a couple of days booked at Easter, which I took, but I've cancelled my 3 weeks in June since I ain't going to Florida after all. Will take 10 days in July instead when hopefully my workload may have eased slightly too. Also I work a (non-contractual) compressed hours pattern doing 10 days over 9 with every second Wednesday off. Those days off should hopefully be enough to maintain a balance between my mental well-being and still getting my job done.

Comment

Well, I had Cheltenham week off, which as we know was well before the crisis hit...

Since then a couple of days for my birthday last month, and have a few days at the end of this week for Mrs D's birthday, making it a 5 day BH weekend.

Colleagues are being encouraged to take their pre-pre-booked leave, as there won't be capacity later in the year for everyone to be off if things open up again. The vulnerables lose a week's annual leave for their 12 weeks paid leave, which is fair enough.

Comment

I'm working from home along with everyone else in our company.

I took a half-day on May 4th because I was giving blood in Gloucester and getting there and back, along with the time taken to actually give blood, would have taken a couple of hours and I didn't want to rush and make the time up.

I then had last Thursday and Friday off as the Thursday was my twins' 3rd birthday. I have next week off as well because it was our planned family holiday. Work have made it clear that they don't want us to cancel holiday we've already booked so I'm happy to take them.

Comment

Other than bank holidays, I've only taken a couple of days off - the Tuesday after Easter and another next Tuesday. I had planned to take eight days over Easter, but cancelled most of them as I couldn't go anywhere.

I'm half expecting to end up in a situation similar to a couple of years ago when I saved my holiday as I was going to move house. However there were various delays and the sale eventually fell through, so I found myself in October with about four weeks of holiday to take. By this point I had already arranged various meetings and assessments for the remainder of the year, so ended up having working two or three days per week for what was left of that year.

Comment

I'd booked a week in April to see my family back in Glos which I was obliged to take off as any pre- booked leave has to be taken.

Apart from my Summer holiday, I tend to spend all my time off in England as my parents are now really frail and the time I'm there helps to take some of the pressure off my sisters.

So to actually have a whole week at home was a bit of a novelty. I had good intentions, but I actually ended up just sleeping a hell of a lot.

One of the benefits of lockdown has been having much more civilised start times. In stead of the usual 4 or 4h30 in the morning I'm often starting at 6 or even 6h30. It's made a hell of a difference. I actually feel a little bit human.

Luckily, I didn't book a summer holiday. I usually go in June as my daughters are now grown up, but I saw this shit coming and held off luckily. The poor sods with families are being forced to take their 3 weeks off in July and August though. I'm homing to go in September now.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X