No announcement yet.

Worst corporate buzzword competition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Webinar is doubly bad, because not only is it some idiotic mash up word to try and describe something new it is (in my experience, and I have attended many and given a fair few) absolutely nothing like a seminar at all. It's almost always a lecture and apart maybe from a brief Q&A at the end, completely not interactive. the whole point of a seminar is to supplement the dry interaction free lecture model and create an opportunity for discussion.

Comment

Yes, it is interesting that Zoom/Skype/Teams sessions - for all their faults and glitches - are more like internet seminars than what are normally called webinars. Which goes to show that it is usually best to let the concept and vocabulary evolve organically.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
        Webinar is doubly bad, because not only is it some idiotic mash up word to try and describe something new it is (in my experience, and I have attended many and given a fair few) absolutely nothing like a seminar at all. It's almost always a lecture and apart maybe from a brief Q&A at the end, completely not interactive. the whole point of a seminar is to supplement the dry interaction free lecture model and create an opportunity for discussion.
        I’ve been to meetings (in person, I mean) with events called seminars that are really just a lecture with Q&A or maybe some discussion among a few people in the front plus q&a. So maybe the erosion of understanding of what a “seminar” is supposed to be is the problem.

Comment

Working...
        X