No announcement yet.

Worst corporate buzzword competition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone give an example of how "lean in" is used as a corporate buzzword? I have never heard it at my work.
    It is making me uncomfortable that everything online that I'm finding in reference to it is specifically related to women in the workplace, and from this reading it is the only overtly sexed buzzword in the competition, and it was judged the worst.

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
      Can someone give an example of how "lean in" is used as a corporate buzzword? I have never heard it at my work.
      It is making me uncomfortable that everything online that I'm finding in reference to it is specifically related to women in the workplace, and from this reading it is the only overtly sexed buzzword in the competition, and it was judged the worst.
      All of this

Comment

I watched a digital seminar this morning where as well as copious use of "pivot" I was introduced to a new one: "afterburner".

Comment

I think these days Lean In is ungendered and just means "do more of someone else's work". As in "Ad Hoc, can you lean in on San Bernardhinault's project, because he's a lazy fucker and is weeks behind schedule."

It is only gendered in the sense that Sheryl Sandberg originally used it in her book.

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
            Can someone give an example of how "lean in" is used as a corporate buzzword?
            From my work email last week:

"We can include product name and claim. Why not lean into our point-of-difference:"

By this, she meant 'why not leverage', which is that our client's dog worm pill treats five worms rather than just four, which the competitor's does.

And before you ask 'then why didn't she just use 'leverage' when she meant 'leverage' ?', I say shame on you sir. You clearly have a weak grasp of office bullshittery.

Comment

I would have said why should she use leverage when she means highlight or focus on or make use of. Leverage is just slightly older corporate bullshit

Comment

My jargon loving boss will say things like 'Really lean in to the insight' or 'lean in to the strategy.' This means 'be sure you make it obvious that you read the brief'.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                  I would have said why should she use leverage when she means highlight or focus on or make use of. Leverage is just slightly older corporate bullshit
                  Indeed. Therefore more authentic somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                    My jargon loving boss will say things like 'Really lean in to the insight' or 'lean in to the strategy.' This means 'be sure you make it obvious that you read the brief'.
                    So in other words, you’ve wrapped your arms around the brief? A member of our HR management uses “wrap our arms around” with alarming regularity.

Comment

"leverage" is still bollocks, mos def.

Comment

I have always felt that the emergence of "leverage" as an exemplary corporate technique during the heyday of leveraged buyouts was far from coincidental

Comment

I may be wrong but my impression of the phrase "lean in" was an exhortation to women on how to succeed in a patriarchal world by acting more like men, rather than changing the world to suit women better. So I associate it with stuff like "apply for jobs that you don't think you have all the skills for yet, men do that all the time", and "say yes to another responsibility at work, even if you're already stressed and overworked, then find another underling to do the actual work, that's what men do", and "you don't need reasonable length maternity leave, just hire a nanny and a cleaner like men do".

I dislike it greatly.

Comment

An opinion that is enthusiastically shared by a significant majority of my younger female colleagues, and I would guess that a very strong vote from that particular demographic is what put it over the top in the poll.

Comment

Was “monetise” in the bracket?

Comment

I've just unthinkingly used "in my wheelhouse".

I plead guilty, and throw myself on the mercy of the court.

Comment

I got a phone call from a person in London yesterday who said she will reach out to whoever in Stockholm is handling my company's account. Thanks to this thread, I understood that what was supposed to mean. It means 'talk to'.

Comment

Add me to The never-heard(of)-its on “lean in”

It used to be quite funny spotting the careerists at work who would rapidly adopt the corporate jargon and ‘run with it’ but things have got so nasty and I spend half my work in meetings with the successful ones and their HR underlinings so while virtual meetings offer bingo note-taking opportunities the shit got real.
                                    Egs from last week- Drill down (into data); referring to problems/issues as ‘pieces’, we talk about people being consulted and they hear (and say) ‘better comms’...

So in terms of real shit, a former music academic turned HE exec used “low hanging fruit” to refer to (supposedly) uncontroversial course closures...which ended up
                                    including History and, under the radar, English. We thought he meant the courses limping along in single digit recruitment for years, but some of them are ‘strategic.’

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                      I've just unthinkingly used "in my wheelhouse".
                                      ...which means 'what', exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by Erskine Bridges View Post

Are you touching base in my thought shower?
                                        Someone once told me he'd like to take a scuba dive in my thinktank, and I never worked out if he was taking the piss.

Comment

That was probably just a very corporate booty call.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                            ...which means 'what', exactly?
                                            "Right up my alley". No, not like that. My area of expertise.

Comment

I heard a member of the senior management team talking about the “markets we play in”.

Even we accountants have them now. Despite thirty years in the industry I had to ask what O2C, R2R and P2P were, first ,time I heard them.

O2C (Order to Cash) = Accounts Receivable
                                              R2R (Record to Report) = Management Accounting
                                              P2P (Purchase to Pay) = Accounts Payable

I preferred the old ones.

Comment

I don't miss all that old corporate bullshit bingo. Some of the jargon could be useful shorthand, but I never really, er, got on board with Personnel Dept being rebranded HR (or passengers suddenly becoming customers waiting for the next station-stop on the trains), so all the other elephants in the room were bound to get my goat.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                                  I heard a member of the senior management team talking about the “markets we play in”.

Even we accountants have them now. Despite thirty years in the industry I had to ask what O2C, R2R and P2P were, first ,time I heard them.

O2C (Order to Cash) = Accounts Receivable
                                                  R2R (Record to Report) = Management Accounting
                                                  P2P (Purchase to Pay) = Accounts Payable

I preferred the old ones.
                                                  They are pretty old, aren't they? Or have I just drunk the Flavor Aid?

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post
                                                    I don't miss all that old corporate bullshit bingo. Some of the jargon could be useful shorthand, but I never really, er, got on board with Personnel Dept being rebranded HR (or passengers suddenly becoming customers waiting for the next station-stop on the trains), so all the other elephants in the room were bound to get my goat.
                                                    It wasn't so much rebranding Personnel as HR as repurposing them, treating employees as another resourse to be used, chewed up, and spat* out again.

* sp

Comment

Working...
                                                    X