Rabbit Hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rabbit Hole

https://9-eyes.com/ Enter at your own risk... I was on page 20 in no time it seemed. Fascinating pictures that have you musing as to where they are and what the hell was going on.

Well, shit. Where does this go on my timesheets?

Comment

The one with the boy playing soccer is seriously a better composition than any picture I've ever taken.

As for the rest, a lot of prostitution or drugs it seems.

(Just saw the one with the dust storm - holy shit!)

Comment

Here's more about it:
        https://anthology.rhizome.org/9-eyes

The one with the camel shadow knocked me back
        Last edited by Incandenza; 14-05-2020, 16:44.

Comment

Christ what a depressing place...

Comment

Someone here will recognise it. Probably UA.

Fascinating link MarkF.

Comment

Well, the stop sign tells me that it is from South America, but I don't recognise the specific location.

Comment

This is definitely somewhere in the LA area. Looks like Beverly Hills. I feel like I should know where it is, the Moreton Bay fig tree there is a good hint.

Comment

Oh, yeah, I'd recognize that tree anywhere. That's the one at North Beverly Drive and Park Way.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                    Well, the stop sign tells me that it is from South America, but I don't recognise the specific location.
                    Interesting (and news to me) that the word pare and not stop is used. So I did a little googling. Quite fascinating, really:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_s...ound_the_world

Comment

Google street view photos. But the thing that always surprises me about these photos circulating is how someone finds them, or in this case, how someone finds the right images to curate for a blog. I would think it takes hours and hours just to find one interesting random image that street view designers left in Google Maps but to find enough to flesh out a blog has got to take a lot of work. Unless there is some place to go where one could just see street view images of people versus streets, building structures, and parked cars. And I would also assume that Google would quickly remove images when certain images start to go viral (e.g., street view images of street-based sex workers).

Comment

Of course, right after I posted that I decided to look at an area in Madrid in La Latina where there is always an interesting mix of people, and I find this oddity in the street view:

First image:

Scrolling to the middle of the street:

Scrolling across the street:

Last edited by danielmak; 15-05-2020, 04:16.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                          Of course, right after I posted that I decided to look at an area in Madrid in La Latina where there is always an interesting mix of people, and I find this oddity in the street view:
                          There were quite a few twisted images, some that were quite amazing to see, e.g. the old man following himself 40 feet behind. Police, Prostitutes, Kids stuck in window gratings and middle fingers seemed to be the order of things...

Comment

Some of these are fantastically 'composed' (and a great idea for a blog, though as danielmak says, it must take bleedin ages to find candidate images). There's probably an art book waiting to be published using this idea as a basis. Get a major Enrique Metinides vibe from a few of the street accident scenes.

Comment

Oh wow, this is fascinating indeed and I've only looked at the first page so far. That street football scene is indeed ravishingly shot, quite by accident.

I particularly like the one near the bottom of page 1 right now, of the flock of sheep by some high moorland road – it's the way the shepherd seems not to have noticed the approaching Streetview car, nor have any of the dozens of sheep, but the dog has.

Comment

Belatedly inspired by this I've studied the current Street View photo of my house and pinned it down to 18 March 2019, approx. between the hours of 10am and 11am.

This is based on:
                                Google says it was in March 2019
                                The recycling bags are out, so it was a Monday.
                                There were only two recycling Mondays in March 2019.
                                One of them is ruled out because of the combination of cars outside my house (we have a car share that meets at my house).
                                The direction of the shadows, and the fact the recycling hadn't been emptied, places it c. 10-11am.

Comment

That's some cracking detective work there WFD!

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                    That's some cracking detective work there WFD!
                                    I passed on my workings to my car share colleagues - one got his pinpointed to the afternoon of 22 March 2019 (he also lives in Carlisle so looks like they were covering the area over the course of a week). The other had to go back to his previous house which last got done in April 2012 but was still quite confident on the exact date. I'm sure our employer appreciates us developing new skills during this difficult time, etc.

Comment

I saw the google car coming towards me up a back lane near our campus a couple of years ago but it hadn’t updated to that view last time I looked.
                                      There was a view camera on top of our old building linked to the weather station so pals in France got into the odd habit of emails discussing which cycling gear I was wearing that day. Or how many pickets we had out on the two or three occasions we were on strike.

Comment

Working...
                                      X