No announcement yet.

Is a Virtual ‘Thon a possibility?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Californians could afford it, but the State can't afford to fund schools or fight fires

Comment

Ah yes, they made taxes unconstitutional or something, I remember.

Comment

The vile Prop 13 - which, by the way, many of the supposedly progressive Californians that I know still support. Not coincidentally, all of them are homeowners.

Comment

California is thus much less economically progressive than its reputation suggests?

Comment

I think I said before on here somewhere that someone outside Trader Joe's was trying to get me to sign a petition to lower property taxes, because old people were having to move away as paying far less tax than young people in the exact same house was too onerous, or something.

Comment

HOw about this Saturday? We could use it, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                HOw about this Saturday? We could use it, I think.
                I *told you* that the schedule for early November was going to need to change.

Comment

I was unaware of that.

Comment

Yes, I had that same thought, especially when the result was looking much bleaker than it does now. I will speak to my wife about whether she's OK with me hosting and post a reply by the end of today (Thursday).

Comment

There will be a Thon on Saturday (Nov 7th) usual time. Next one after that: I cannot host until December 5th so someone would have to step in to host Nov 21 or 28.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                        There will be a Thon on Saturday (Nov 7th) usual time. Next one after that: I cannot host until December 5th so someone would have to step in to host Nov 21 or 28.
                        OK I have my calendar open to try make sure I can make my debut - but please, what is the regular time (UK or East Coast US)

Comment

3 pm Eastern; 20h00 UK

Though people generally join throughout

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                            3 pm Eastern; 20h00 UK

Though people generally join throughout
                            I have adapted to central time vs EST significantly better than understanding the time in the UK. I got so used to 5 hours.

Comment

The period around the switch to and from summer time was always a nightmare for a pan-European practice such as ours.

This was particularly true before calendaring software became reasonably sophisticated about such things, but there are always people who insist on doing it themselves and generally screw it up.

Comment

It's particularly difficult when a time zone boundary cuts across a state, such as Tennessee. I don't understand why the state doesn't choose one or the other, although in Tennessee it seemed to occur when we reached the mountains, whereas the Panhandle seems to be its own semi-state anyway (sort of merging into southern Alabama).

Comment

It's usually because the local business community was more closely tied to that of another state than the rest of their own (Indiana being the shining example).

Tennessee is really three distinct cultural and topographical regions that were mashed together so as not to give the place more political power than it would have as three states.
                                  Last edited by ursus arctos; 06-11-2020, 03:00.

Comment

Just giving this a bump, 8pm UK time for the virtual thon.

Comment

Cool - looking forward to popping in.

Comment

It's going to be a celebration!

Comment

Hopefully I will have stopped crying by then

Comment

Hope to pop by later on, after putting my son to bed.

Comment

https://us04web.zoom.us/j/7762432694...RyVVhUbVN3UT09

DckA2h

Note that sessions tend to end after 40 minutes and you'll have to come back here and go through a new link
                                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 07-11-2020, 19:53.

Comment

Waiting till Strictly's over.

Comment

9 of us

Comment

Ten of us online having a chat at the moment, so come on in and join us for a chinwag.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X