Is a Virtual ‘Thon a possibility?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is a Virtual ‘Thon a possibility?

Well, that, really. It suddenly occurred to me today, what with everyone Zooming, Hanging Out, FaceTiming etc., would there be anything other than time zones, technology and Real Life preventing us trying one?

If it involves drinking while sat at my computer, I've been doing that pretty much since WFH started....

(NOTE to any senior management who can read what I type on my work computer, please note that this is a joke, for comedic effect, and should in no way be considered accurate)

Comment

That should convince them. We’ll all back you up, if it helps.

Comment

Of course they'll be absolutely fine with your using work time to browse OTF.

Comment

I'm in

Comment

I'm up for it too, if I can manage the technology at my end. I do Zoom all the time these days, not sure about the other channels.

Comment

I would also be up for this

Comment

I'm in too. I almost certainly won't be able to work the required technology, but I'll give it a go.

Comment

I'd join, if the time suits etc.

Comment

Isn't a virtual thon just OTF?

Can't say I'm up for it myself, to be honest. I find videocalling stressful enough even with my family, let alone internet friends.

Comment

Hah...I was going to propose this two weeks ago but didn't have the balls. So, yes, I'd be up for it.

Comment

I think we can Zoom for up to 99 people for 40 minutes for free.

Saturday or Sunday would probably work best, re: hinky time zone issues.

Comment

Part of me thinks this is a great idea. Part of me thinks that more than about 6 people on a zoom makes decent conversation impossible.

Comment

Fucking "Virtual 'Thon". Fuck off.
                            Last edited by treibeis; 01-05-2020, 18:39.

Comment

We'll put treibeis down as a maybe then.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not sure either. Too chaotic and TBH, like GY, I'm not a big fan of video chats.

Comment

Numbers are a genuine issue for many people.

I recently participated in a board meeting with about 20 other individuals and almost immediately turned off my screen and followed on audio only.

Comment

I would be interested but not sure how much I'd be able to contribute.

Comment

Post the details and I’ll maybe at least try and drop by.

(We do also have one or two issues with time differences, of course.)

Comment

I'd be up for it. Time differences no problem at all.

Comment

I've also wondered about this and we could give it a go. Not sure it will work, but hey, why not?

Comment

There would need to be an agenda of topics otherwise it would feel aimless in my experience.

Comment

I can tell you all why the Saint Lucia flag is good

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                There would need to be an agenda of topics otherwise it would feel aimless in my experience.
                                                Yeah, that's not bad. You get 15 seconds to say the most interesting thing you've done since the shutdown started or something. Beats just staring at each other and waiting for someone to be funny.

Comment

treibeis I wish you wouldn’t beat about the bush.

Thanks all. It’s a very fair point about numbers on a video chat, I’m not great in them myself, but wanted to give it a try. Similarly knowing what to talk about once we’re on. I’m thinking we may be better limiting numbers; there can always be others in future if it works.

WOM I was hoping Zoom might have an answer. I’ll have a look at that then see how this thread is looking later in the weekend and try and come up with something workable.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X