No announcement yet.

Is a Virtual ‘Thon a possibility?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alas! <for 3CR> I'll have to miss this I'm afraid as it's the Lady Checkpoint's birthday on Saturday and we've arranged a family'thon at that time, so I hope you guys don't use up all the bandwidth. Next time maybe (if you haven't all fallen out with each other with this one).

Comment

willie1foot has very kindly set up the call. I think it’s easiest if I PM it to whoever expressed even a vague interest on here. Feel free to join, drop in, or ignore.

Comment

The link works OK for me and I changed my username successfully (right click of mouse).

Comment

I've got the pm and thanks but sorry am completely confused about what I have to click on next Saturday. 2 passwords are mentioned. Clicking on one link I'm told the meeting is beginning in a few seconds which obviously isn't right. And all the phone numbers are relevant only to USA and Australia.

Sorry for being thick but am a bit lost!

Comment

All you need is that first link Sporting (the one that starts with vocus). All those phone numbers are irrelevant

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
              Clicking on one link I'm told the meeting is beginning in a few seconds which obviously isn't right.
              What, it's not right? I took part in it. Bloke with a Berkshire-Australian accent going, "No, it's my 'thon. I organised it, so I get to wear the hat."

Comment

What is the time and date?

Comment

Saturday at 4pm (for you) (I think)

Comment

Sat 9th:
                    San Mateo/LA/Vancouver 1pm
                    Albuquerque 2pm
                    New York/Toronto/State College/Florida 4pm
                    UK 9pm
                    Valencia 10pm

Sun 10th:
                    Sydney 6am

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                      What, it's not right? I took part in it. Bloke with a Berkshire-Australian accent going, "No, it's my 'thon. I organised it, so I get to wear the hat."
                      Still keeping an eye on the thread? I’ll send you the link, if you really want. 10pm Stadtpark Standard Time I think. Or is it Volkspark?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                        I've got the pm and thanks but sorry am completely confused about what I have to click on next Saturday. 2 passwords are mentioned. Clicking on one link I'm told the meeting is beginning in a few seconds which obviously isn't right. And all the phone numbers are relevant only to USA and Australia.

Sorry for being thick but am a bit lost!
                        The meeting (from a Zoom perspective) is not scheduled for a particular time.

If you're connecting via a PC/Device with internet audio, you don't need to dial in and the password is the 'word' Sits provided..

The dial-in numbers were only provided if someone was having difficulty with internet audio. Unfortunately, Zoom doesn't appear to have UK dial-in numbers (https://vocus.zoom.us/u/aQbLsEKBo)

Comment

If anyone wants to test, I am connected right now

Comment

Originally posted by willie1foot View Post
                            If anyone wants to test, I am connected right now
                            I'll stay connected for the next half hour or so...

Just had a quick chat with Sits, so it's working. I'm going to remove the password as the meeting invite is only sent via DM

Comment

Poor wille1foot, scrubbed and groomed for his first business call of the morning, was confronted by my unwashed, tousled, haggard visage for the test call. But fair dinkum, it worked.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

Still keeping an eye on the thread? I’ll send you the link, if you really want. 10pm Stadtpark Standard Time I think. Or is it Volkspark?
                                Of course I'm keeping an eye on the thread. I don't want you biting off more than you can chew and then inadvertently blowing up the internet.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm even thicker than Sporting when it comes to computer technology. And video conferences remind me of my old job. And, because I've not been for a haircut since Christ knows when, I currently look like a grumpy Highland cow.

Comment

The meeting (from a Zoom perspective) is not scheduled for a particular time.

If you're connecting via a PC/Device with internet audio, you don't need to dial in and the password is the 'word' Sits provided..

The dial-in numbers were only provided if someone was having difficulty with internet audio. Unfortunately, Zoom doesn't appear to have UK dial-in numbers (https://vocus.zoom.us/u/aQbLsEKBo)
                                  So for example anytime between now and whenever we could log on and if someone else is online a chat could be had? No need to wait until Saturday?

Comment

I was thinking about this earlier. When I spoke to willie I was on my iPhone. This afternoon I tested it on the Mac desktop and it was fine. Except I was looking at myself. So basically anyone can drop in whenever they want.

ad hoc for example doesn’t need to wait till his 11pm just because that’s when I happen to be getting up - the call is live and if someone else is on earlier, all good.

willie1foot is that correct? Plus I suppose it has to finish at some point for the good of your Zoom account.

Finally, if anyone didn’t get my PM with the Zoom link, let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                      I was thinking about this earlier. When I spoke to willie I was on my iPhone. This afternoon I tested it on the Mac desktop and it was fine. Except I was looking at myself. So basically anyone can drop in whenever they want.

ad hoc for example doesn’t need to wait till his 11pm just because that’s when I happen to be getting up - the call is live and if someone else is on earlier, all good.

willie1foot is that correct? Plus I suppose it has to finish at some point for the good of your Zoom account.

Finally, if anyone didn’t get my PM with the Zoom link, let me know.
                                      The meeting is 'live' anytime between now and when we finish... then I'll shut it down. But let's not have side meetings prior... I'll miss out on all the gossip.

My Zoom account is unlimited use, so no issue as far as that is concerned.

Comment

Thanks willie.

Comment

I'd like to join, not sure I can make it, all depends on Miss AE and her night time.

Comment

The meeting is 'live' anytime between now and when we finish... then I'll shut it down. But let's not have side meetings prior... I'll miss out on all the gossip.
                                            I was only interested for testing purposes. And the gossip, of course.

Comment

A friend of mine is holding his birthday lock-in on the same evening which might screw things up for me a bit. Will see how it pans out...

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                                It was great to meet you, Daniel, and to get a behind the scenes insight into life at the hut.

I'm not sure that's what 'the boss' intended when he left you in charge of social media operations while he headed off to some godforsaken sand dune for a staring contest with the Danish Coastguard, but there's no reason he should ever find out, right?

Does he really style himself 'Graf von Treibeis' on the company stationery?

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                                  I'd like to join, not sure I can make it, all depends on Miss AE and her night time.
                                                  PM sent.

Comment

Thanks for the PM Sits.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X