Is a Virtual ‘Thon a possibility?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
    Was that the one in Manchester between Christmas and New Year in the early noughties?
    Gawd, nearly twenty years. Yes, it was.

I went to a much smaller one in Leeds around that time. Having half a dozen familiar strangers seated at a round table worked much better, I felt.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
      Thanks Sits. Can I express interest here?
      Done. I’ll trawl the thread once I’ve got the Zoom thing ready and PM everyone who might be interested. In particular treibeis. Probably be a few days yet.

Comment

Does Zoom have an ignore poster function?

Comment

I think you can mute people. You certainly can if you are e hosting.

Comment

I think you can mute people. You certainly can if you are e hosting, AB.

Comment

I am interested in taking part.

Comment

Originally posted by Belhaven View Post
                I am interested in taking part.
                So it’d be a 10pm for you, like Sporting, if I have your location right.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                  I think you can mute people. You certainly can if you are e hosting.
                  You can also kick people out which creates a more permanent ban. This was learned today on the Unbreakable 24 event where they started booting people out for (minor) indiscretions and then found out they couldn't get back into the contest. Which, given the people had no sleep in ~36 hours was a rather tricky challenge to navigate.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

Done. I’ll trawl the thread once I’ve got the Zoom thing ready and PM everyone who might be interested. In particular treibeis. Probably be a few days yet.
                    I've got a Pro account that can be used.... might save Sits a few bucks... I can set it up so that participants can join without the host just in case I 'sleep in'....

Comment

You could have a "last man standing" contest, like in They Shoot Horses Don't They. See who can stay awake the longest.

Comment

Wasn't really looking at the boards over the weekend so only just found this thread – thought I'd missed the whole thing for a bit there. I'd be cautiously up for joining in Sits, though I'm not totally sure I want to ruin my mental images of everyone by actually seeing them. (Or vice versa...)

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                          You could have a "last man standing" contest, like in They Shoot Horses Don't They. See who can stay awake the longest.
                          I will win that.

My event this summer (if it happens) goes on for 70 hours. Mostly involving hard labor (chopping wood for example) and running up and down a mountain.

Comment

Originally posted by willie1foot View Post

I've got a Pro account that can be used.... might save Sits a few bucks... I can set it up so that participants can join without the host just in case I 'sleep in'....
                            Thanks Willie. You bloody legend, as we say in these parts. Bloody oath.

Comment

Thanks Willie. You bloody legend, as we say in these parts. Bloody oath.
                              No wukkas, me old mate... When the date/time (6am Sydney time?) is agreed, let me know and I'll set up an open-ended meeting and post the link here.

Comment

Beaut. So you reckon it's OK to put the link up here? I wasn't going to on the assumption it might attract the bots and other unwelcome visitors. But considering my (lack of) understanding of the tech, I probably have it wrong.

Comment

Beaut. So you reckon it's OK to put the link up here? I wasn't going to on the assumption it might attract the bots and other unwelcome visitors. But considering my (lack of) understanding of the tech, I probably have it wrong.
                                  I'm easy [titter]. If there's a way to secure it better (I can set up a password as well), I'm all ears.

Comment

I'd be tentatively up for it, though the timing may not work for me. 11 is past my bedtime (and even if I am up, the rest of the family probably won;t be and it's a small house, so I'd be forced to whisper, which rather goes against the spirit of the thing)

(This shouldn't be read as a request for a time change, given our geographic spread there are always going to be people who will find it tricky to make it)

Comment

Thanks willie monoped! Re the bots on here, you could always give them a bit of test by setting a password for the session and, instead of posting it, giving clues e.g "the surname of the arse-hole newspaper columnist who once posted on here back in the noughties".

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                        I will win that.

My event this summer (if it happens) goes on for 70 hours. Mostly involving hard labor (chopping wood for example) and running up and down a mountain.
                                        Anyone who’s worked in banking or the NHS would be in with a good chance of winning.

Comment

I'm potentially keen on this, though not at all sure how to sell the idea to my husband...

Comment

With apologies to ad hoc we'll go ahead with the times I proposed. If it works there colud always be one in a more Europe friendly slot:

Sat 9th:
                                            San Mateo/LA/Vancouver 1pm
                                            Albuquerque 2pm
                                            New York/Toronto/State College/Florida 4pm
                                            UK 9pm
                                            Valencia 10pm

Sun 10th:
                                            Sydney 6am

willie1foot if you're still able to set it up please that would be great. I reckon a password to be on the safe side. I will PM it to everyone who's shown an interest.

Comment

Add me as a very unlikely possible, for p/w purposes - I'm likely to be busy, but just in case I'm not I'd like to virtually meet some of you (again, in a handful of cases).

Comment

No worries.

Comment

Bring your pets everyone, so we can tell you are who you say you are. Sits, will it be too early Down Under for Miss Emily to put in an appearance??

Comment

Oh blimey yes, by about three and a half hours. She’d be mightily unimpressed.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X