Is a Virtual ‘Thon a possibility?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, my review.

Cal Alamein was gracious enough to join us from witness protection, he looked and sounded like those ex-1990's Narcos you regularly see on DJ Vlad or a minor character from Breaking bad.
    Various Artist joined us whilst midway through a burglary that he live streamed
    Sits was on a Suburbia drive-by whist on the call. he cut off the feed just as he was slowing down and winding down the window
    Jason Voorhees dialled in from Paraguay in full disguise in between hunting 100 year old Nazi's proving the words, "Never forget" isn't just talk. He was drinking from some mysterious enchanted goblet and every time he took a sip, FF internet kept messing up.
    FF was sitting in her 1% Apartment that looked down on half of NYC
    "English" Berbaslug looked like Millwall supporter circa 1982 whilst trying to convince us how Irish he was "I had pork and potatoes for dinner".
    Paul S was drinking his on diarrhoea whilst trying to convince us it was premium homebrew
    WOM sat there saying nothing whilst staring intensely at the screen. Some say he was orchestrating a drone strike.
    John R Called in from his lighthouse
    Pebblefish was smoking seductively at the camera

Who else have I missed.

Comment

You gave Sporting and the rest of us a decent five minute history 101 on the Nation of Islam after signing in as Malcom X
      Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 24-05-2020, 15:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
        WOM sat there saying nothing whilst staring intensely at the screen. Some say he was orchestrating a drone strike.
        Yes, a pleasure to meet you, TG.

And yes, was distracted. I listed my wife's old motorbike online and was back-and-forthing with a potential buyer. He's just come and bought it now.

Next time, my full attention.

Comment

Ok, my review.

Cal Alamein was gracious enough to join us from witness protection, he looked and sounded like those ex-1990's Narcos you regularly see on DJ Vlad or a minor character from Breaking bad.
          Various Artist joined us whilst midway through a burglary that he live streamed
          Sits was on a Suburbia drive-by whist on the call. he cut off the feed just as he was slowing down and winding down the window
          Jason Voorhees dialled in from Paraguay in full disguise in between hunting 100 year old Nazi's proving the words, "Never forget" isn't just talk. He was drinking from some mysterious enchanted goblet and every time he took a sip, FF internet kept messing up.
          FF was sitting in her 1% Apartment that looked down on half of NYC
          "English" Berbaslug looked like Millwall supporter circa 1982 whilst trying to convince us how Irish he was "I had pork and potatoes for dinner".
          Paul S was drinking his on diarrhoea whilst trying to convince us it was premium homebrew
          John R Called in from his lighthouse
          Pebblefish was smoking seductively at the camera

Who else have I missed.
          You missed me out, another unmemorable contribution, but better to say nothing and be thought an idiot than etc.
          I was also smoking, but rather more aggressively than pebbles. And as you noted, I had actual human company in Mrs D who decided to spend some time with me once I announced my intention to go on chat (I'd been on my own for the previous few hours). I'll put her on in my place next time, she'll talk to anyone. I didn't join in the text chat as my ashtray was propping up the tablet and obscuring the messages. But it was mainly the youth wing typing wasn't it, so I probably wouldn't have understood.
          Mrs D was impressed with the slightly increased diversity on show compared to last time.

Comment

That'll be TG. Young, gifted and black – and not a glasses wearer. And bloody funny.

I love that I still count as part of the "youth wing", thanks jwdd.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
              You gave Sporting and the rest of us a decent five minute history 101 on the Nation of Islam after signing in as Malcom X
              Ah, yes, I remember that. I think it was more along the lines of "what caused Malcolm X to fall out with the Nation of Islam".
              Another question was arounbd the US election and black women expecting Biden to have a Black female running mate.

The people I didn't mention were those not looking suspicious so be thankful you were left out.

Oh and Erskine dropped in at the end with one of his amazing stories.

Comment

Did you just call me sketchy?

Comment

Looks like I’ll have to find a new “Safe” location for the next ‘thon.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                    Did you just call me sketchy?
                    No, i'm just jealous you are living next door to Bobby Axelrod from Billions.

Allow this hater to hate for a little

Comment

Oh and Erskine dropped in at the end with one of his amazing stories.
                      One? One? Was that the one with the chickens, or the one with the transvestite bar?!

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

Yes, a pleasure to meet you, TG.

And yes, was distracted. I listed my wife's old motorbike online and was back-and-forthing with a potential buyer. He's just come and bought it now.

Next time, my full attention.
                        I thought you were just really cool, or something. Or studying CAD images of your next shed.
                        Last edited by Sits; 24-05-2020, 22:15.

Comment

Glad I joined in twice wearing my famous invisibility cloak...

Comment

Gangster Octopus I was very happy to see you, both times!

Comment

Ta.

Comment

Damn! Haven't dropped in for a awhile so I missed this. I suspected something was going on when I got a message advising 'pebblethefish is connected and waiting for you in your Zoom meeting'. Hopefully he/she got the right credentials and participated.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                  Glad I joined in twice wearing my famous invisibility cloak...
                                  I saw you too, both times.

Comment

Glad to hear these are actually proving workable. I don't want to take part without my girlfriend's permission, as we live in a two-room flat so it's not like she can really go anywhere, but I'll ask her if she minds me joining you all next time (I'd be surprised if she does), and if jv's there too that'll be the South America contingent doubled.

Comment

And 3 "Hispanics".

Comment

Gracia's Senores. I'm an early rising insomniac so would be up to join a late-nighter in the Americas. My school/ tourist Spanish is limited but at least that means any digs at CONCACAF might pass by you lot

Comment

Thanks for having me. That was really good to see some of you, with my own eyes like.
                                          Apologies for the late arrival.
                                          It seemed to work well, sometimes these things don’t .
                                          cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Erskine Bridges View Post
                                            Thanks for having me. That was really good to see some of you, with my own eyes like.
                                            Apologies for the late arrival.
                                            It seemed to work well, sometimes these things don’t .
                                            cheers!
                                            Good to meet you too, even if by the end I was a bit too fuddled to remember your excellent story.

I think you must have been absent for what for me was one of the highlights of the session: Jason's amazingly succinct and informed precis of various South American countries' history and politics in general. Very interesting. I seem to remember (correct me if wrong) him saying that Uruguay has the most left-wing government of any in the world. Would posters agree with this, assuming that this was in fact the assertion? I thought maybe New Zealand but this article:

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/202.../arde-f03.html

went some way to dissuading me.

Portugal is another possible candidate.

Comment

I caught some of Jason’s socio political South American chat which was v interesting. I hope I get to South America some day.

Comment

Jacinta Ardern (Labour) had to do a coalition deal with Winston Peters (New Zealand First). Explains a lot.

Comment

I did a module on Latin American politics as part of my degree, almost 30 years ago. At the time most were finding their way out of various periods of military- backed dictatorships, even Brazil (which I didn't know). The way they've all gone down different routes since is something I'd love to learn more about.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Good to meet you too, even if by the end I was a bit too fuddled to remember your excellent story.

I think you must have been absent for what for me was one of the highlights of the session: Jason's amazingly succinct and informed precis of various South American countries' history and politics in general. Very interesting. I seem to remember (correct me if wrong) him saying that Uruguay has the most left-wing government of any in the world. Would posters agree with this, assuming that this was in fact the assertion? I thought maybe New Zealand but this article:

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/202.../arde-f03.html

went some way to dissuading me.

Portugal is another possible candidate.
                                                    Most left-wing government means what? It sounds a bit impossible to define. There are places like Cuba, for example, which aren't democratic. Then places like Nepal, which is democratic, and has a communist government*

*Nepali politics is ace. The country is now led by the Nepal Communist Party, which was recently formed through a merger of the Communist Party of Nepal (Unified Marxist-Leninist) and the Communist Party of Nepal (Maoist-Centre). Prior to this, the CPN (Unified Marxist-Leninist) was formed out of the union of the CPN (Marxist) and the CPN (Marxist-Leninist), whereas the CPN (Maoist-Centre) were a faction that broke away from the CPN (Unity-Centre). As you might imagine you can go much further in all of the little factions and groups. There's probably more wikipedia pages devoted to the various Nepali Communist Parties as there are to episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Comment

Working...
                                                    X