The Clap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

Quite clearly the English anthem should be "Yesterday". It's by the country's most famous musicians
    Although only Macca from the group plays and sings on it.

Comment

Actually, that's a good shout. I wouldn't sing along as it's by the world's luckiest pub band in the world but I can see the logic.

Comment

It's another dirge, so probably apt.

Comment

There's always got to be a show off that takes things too far....

Hebridean pilot draws 'NHS' message above Yorkshire

Comment

I managed to be organised enough to actually get the kids on the front lawn for a clap this evening (previously we've either clapped from the window or completely forgotten about it until too late). My ward votes labour and the other neighbours who are outside clapping are a mix of ethnicities and ages so I feel quite positive about it. We waved to the elderly Indian couple a few doors down. I hope that the carers next door to us know that we're clapping for them too.

Comment

We forgot this week. Our Thursday routine was disrupted for various reasons and we were sitting together on respective laptops, discussing university applications (for her not me, thankfully) when daughter suddenly noticed people across the road clapping, and it was too late as they were just finishing.

Comment

I was out for a walk, not really in touch with what time it was, and wondered why somebody sudddenly started banging a saucepan in their front garden

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Has there ever been a best national anthem poll/contest on here?
                  no need-as already mentioned,italian anthem would win hands down.always make sure I catch the start of Italy games in tournaments,makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end

Comment

First time I didn't take part. For various reasons, I'm probably done with it now, although I've no issue with those who do still want to do it and certainly no issue with those who it is done for.

Comment

So the no-shows tonight were my regular 'frontline' curmudgeonly "Why don't they just pay us properly" nurse mate. However, Bored Jr was back for a bit of (socially distanced) food and had to coaxed to clap. This shows the power of having actually had to have their life saved by the NHS a couple of months ago over being a 20 year old.

Comment

The Clap for Carers should end next week after its tenth week says its founder. Right idea I think, getting rather tiresome and time to move on to something else.

Comment

I was curious to see what would happen tonight. The local church didn't ring its bells, and there was (as far as I could tell from the window) just one household still clapping. I'm quite pleased it's stopped now. It had turned into the equivalent of a poppy - obligatory and co-opted by government. (Even if I did quite enjoy the sense of local community it brought about.)

Comment

It seems to be over in my street

Comment

Forgot all about it.

Comment

Having forgotten it was going to happen nearly every time - I only remembered once (it took me ~3 weeks to figure out it was happening on Thursday evenings not Fridays as I had assumed, so I don't feel those 'forgotten' weeks should be counted), I was at least completely consistent in totally forgetting it was now ended. In fact this thread is the first time I've thought about this since taking the recycling out last Thursday evening and suddenly getting a massive round of applause and fireworks midway through for doing so.

Comment

I didn't do it after the first couple for the reasons above (it was clearly becoming a sentiment-less "look at how loudly we can clap" gesture, same as poppy day is "look how big my poppy is and how early in October I wear it".). The dickheads in our village who launch fireworks to celebrate any occasion had started doing that here, too. So when it got to about 8.20 last night I did wonder if I'd missed it or if something else had happened.

Comment

As I posted before, it was every day here. I didn't read that too many health care workers were down on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                      The English anthem has to be 'Jerusalem'. Even I would stand up and probably join in with that when it was played
                                      But only the second verse.

Comment

Based on the small sample size of my Facebook friends it seemed to have peaked a few weeks ago and then whether it was the mood turning re the whole handling of the virus, or the typically short attention span of people in this country, recent weeks didn't have the same "look at us" neediness. The first few weeks were full of videos of "Acacia Avenue did us proud tonight" and people talking about being in tears, but they seemed to have regained their composure in recent weeks.

Comment

Last week's was louder and longer than the previous few in our street and I put that down to everyone knowing that it was the last one and wanting to sign off in style. Didn't notice any strays that hadn't got the message last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                            Last week's was louder and longer than the previous few in our street and I put that down to everyone knowing that it was the last one and wanting to sign off in style. Didn't notice any strays that hadn't got the message last night.
                                            Yes, it was the same in my road last week too. In an ironic twist, my next door neighbours - young family with three kids - now find themselves looking to the NHS after the mother was taken off in an ambulance on Thursday afternoon after a bad reaction to medication she was taking for a bad back. It gave her heart palpitations and numbness down her left hand side!

update - she’s had a suspected aneurysm.
                                            Last edited by kokamoa; 06-06-2020, 09:39.

Comment

Working...
                                            X