The Clap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by laverte View Post
    i think this idea that an emotional response can be organised, can be ritualised, is difficult to understand for people who consider 'emotion' to be something that only happens spontaneously in reaction to some trigger. But for those of us who find that emotions are things that stick around, indeed are things that tend to stick to us like, i guess, an infection that we cannot shake off, then clapping may feel like the opportunity to grab some control of our emotions and put them in a kind of order, rather than being overwhelmed by them all day, every day.
    I've read and reread this, and am struggling with the sentiment. I have found this all a bit much at times, and am not afraid to say I've vented a few tears, some for my mum who has several conditions that leave her very vulnerable,a few for my Mother in law who is currently undergoing chemotherapy, some for myself and the heart and lung condition that leaves me at risk, and a few for the needless deaths, had that release and then been able to recompose myself. Are you saying that you need this clapping as a release?

EDIT: just saw your last post.
    Last edited by Freestyling buck wilding Stijn Stijnen; 02-05-2020, 13:01.

Comment

Bellowed out Test Test Test PPE etc the other week and rightly got told off by Mrs Tuckwat that I was too bellowy . Was standing at the station waiting for my train to work on another week and the noise coming from the little town where I live was quite impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Freestyling buck wilding Stijn Stijnen View Post

I've read and reread this, and am struggling with the sentiment. I have found this all a bit much at times, and am not afraid to say I've vented a few tears, had that release and then been able to recompose myself. Are you saying that you need this clapping as a release?
        i don't know really, i'm a bit suspicious of ideas like 'release' or 'catharsis' as part of a general distrust of pop psychology, but that doesn't mean there's nothing in what you suggest. What i definitely am trying to say is that there are not many opportunities for those of us who are stuck indoors all day to participate in something greater than our own daily doings and feelings, and the existence of this clapping ritual gives us permission, for a couple of minutes each week, to open the door and experience (a simulacrum of) re-engagement with society, with the neighbourhood, with other people. i'm aware that this sounds a bit like the Sunday mass for lonely old ladies, and i realise we have a government that would love the whole village to take a place at the pew and remove their hats, but like Felicity upthread i want to participate in the applause in order not to allow it to be taken over by the Clap For Heroes types.

i'm sorry that you've been sad and anxious during these times, although you seem to have found ways to stay on top of it, and that's the important thing. Long may that continue.

Comment

Please, don't be sorry that I've had spells of sadness and anxiety, I'd be more worried if I wasn't, taking it as a sign that I've become too emotionally detached.
          I strive to process these feelings, because they tend to stick around if I don't.

Comment

Laverte, have yourself a big fat LIKE.

Comment

[QUOTE=laverte;n2287610
              That's interesting, not a view i heard in Portsmouth from navy people, but of course i shouldn't have generalised from that. Accommodation has been a big issue there, the MoD flogged off lots of the newer builds and with the huge expansion of the university there isn't much private housing available locally. The transition to civilian life after service seems to be a bone of contention too, especially since BAE scaled down its activities in the city. i would be interested to hear more about the other side of the story though.[/QUOTE]

Experiences will vary between service, the branch and, importantly the individual.

The experience will also depend on location.

However, to address accommodation. For single service people it has improved from grotty box rooms built in the Victorian period, or 1920s/30s to this.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...sign_Guide.pdf

Married accommodation varies from location to location and as you have pointed out, some locations have problems. This is determined by market forces, just like anywhere else. The selling of MoD stock does cause problems, but more and more married service people are getting on the property market and commuting either daily (my experience) or weekly (very common).

Getting a mortgage has been enabled by the biggest change in policy for decades. The 'no move' policy, particularly in the RAF. This means that a service person can remain in one location for the their entire engagement, as opposed to moving every 3/4 years. This allows partners to follow their own career, while developing their own support networks. Children are able go through school without changing every time a parent(s) move. The only time a service person will move is if they request a move, or are promoted. Promotion, of course can be turned down.

As for resettlement, my experience was overwhelmingly positive. The biggest problem is the amount of information available to what service leavers can access, it seemed endless.

This is the latest guide https://assets.publishing.service.go...nal_Draft_.pdf

As for jobs, that again varies from location to location, but information is provided about job markets and areas of the country that have skills shortages. It of course depends on whether people want to move.

In a more general sense, the armed forces have to reflect the society it recruits from. This requires constant review of recruitment policy. For example, RAF airman are now allowed to grow beards.

After Deepcut https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35458611 the armed forces started to take mentoring and counselling seriously.

My promotion cadre courses were equally weighted between 'soft skills' and military and trade management training.

When I became a trainer, there were whole departments set-up for mentoring and counselling. My own personal development involved courses in safeguarding, mentoring and counselling and I become a mentor to recruits, with clear guidelines and policies to follow. When I joined in 1987, we were left to our devices, told to 'man up' and all the other macho phrases. I often wonder if the suicide of a member of my own recruit intake was avoidable.

I could post a lot more, but I'd probably bore the arse of you and every other member.

I will just say though, that the armed forces are just like any other job. Some days are great, some are shit, but most are indifferent.

Comment

Thank you. Arse very much intact after reading.

It's interesting, comparing it with teaching, say. Most of the improvements you mention in your last paragraph would have an equivalent in the education sector – teachers are very much better trained and supported (and paid), and do far more, far better for students than they did 30 years ago – and yet you won't find many of them who believe that conditions are improving. Workers in the health sector and certainly local government would probably feel similarly. i suspect that because of the precarious future for the navy in Portsmouth (remember Matt Hancock was once 'Minister for Portsmouth'?) the benefits of things like 'no move' have been more difficult to appreciate there.

Anyway, this is getting super off-topic. Thank you for that insight though.

Comment

Heard it here for the first time for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                    Ok.

Be honest, who else saw a thread started with the title "The Clap" and expected it to be about a different subject altogether?
                    indeed.was only on here reading it "for a friend"

Comment

Felt a bit subdued last week on my street. Even more subdued tonight with fewer and fewer people coming outside. Definitely a vibe of "let's get this over with" and the feeling that it seems to be slowly winding down.

Comment

The Irish ceremony is rather more solemn - every Wednesday and Sunday, to commemorate the dead, images of the deceased are shown on RTE before the news, and the Irish army stands to.attention in Dublin's Garden of Remembrance.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UeFQYO4xp8A
                        Last edited by Diable Rouge; 14-05-2020, 19:37.

Comment

How the Woolwich ferry marks Clap for Carers:

Comment

If people want to clap and if it has improved bonding between people in tough times I don’t have a problem with that. I’m in the slightly self conscious about it camp.

To go off on a tangent, we really need a new national anthem (I’m sure I’ve seen this discussed before on OTF). When the virus was taking hold in Italy, before things got really serious here, I watched the footage of people on their balconies singing their national anthem and found it very stirring, it even made me shed a tear or two.

I can’t imagine anything similar happening here, our anthem is just such a dirge (some also disagree with the sentiment of it, although that’s not an issue for me).

Comment

We could have a public vote on it, but then we'd probably end up with "Britainy McBritainface" by Ed Sheeran and the Teletubbies.

Comment

Italian national anthem is an all time classic, we should just use that. Not even bothered if we change the lyrics.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                  Italian national anthem is an all time classic, we should just use that. Not even bothered if we change the lyrics.
                                  Has there ever been a best national anthem poll/contest on here?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Has there ever been a best national anthem poll/contest on here?
                                    It gets discussed during World Cups and the like when we hear them often. Common favourites tend to be Brazil and France. With Spain gaining points for having no horrible nationalistic lyrics like most

Comment

Up in Cumbria in Cleator Moor they have "Clemmy's Convoy" every Thursday evening involving lorries, motorbikes, vans, pick-ups all tooting their horns at 8pm as they drive around town. I don't this doesn't catch on because otherwise every petrol head in the country is going to be doing it. This whole clap for carers thing is fine with me, I think it's a great idea, but it could mutate into the Wootton Bassett thing where a simply gesture saw the town overwhelmed.

Comment

Maybe one for the maps thread. But Spain's and Slovenia's (the only one that's 'about friendship') are definite candidates in the least-nationalist-lyrics anthems.

Comment

Thanks for that VV. It reminds me of the one showing what stage countries got/ will get knocked out of Euro 2021.

The 'dirges about fighting foreigners' section could be expanded. Scotland, England and NI fora start

Comment

That map encouraged me to look up the national anthem of Moldova, which I hadn't been aware of before. Limba noastră

Seems a bit of a pisser for all the Russian speakers in the country, but then I guess a lot of national anthems tend to have a "piss on our minorities" subtext

Comment

Aye. At least the good folk of Kishinev aren't forced into rebellion and inevitable crushing defeat

Comment

The third verse of "God Save the Queen" is all about beheading rebellious Scots. And we wonder why they don't sing it up there.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

. With Spain gaining points for having no horrible nationalistic lyrics like most
                                                  Attempts have been made:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcha_Real#Former_lyrics

"Being the national anthem, and in honor of the King and the Queen of Spain, it is common for all to stand once it is played. Even though it is also played in church events, respect for the royal family is required by everyone in attendance. As it happens civilians stand at attention..."

Do they bollocks!

Comment

The worst thing about being a Gaelic games fan is they play the anthem at EVERY FUCKING GAME. Amhran na Bhfiann is an awful bloody dirge, but it's still miles better than Ireland's Call.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X