The thread devoted entirely to jaffa cakes and "jaffa cakes"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
    I could have sworn I'd had mini rolls before, but I'm confused by PT mentioning jam, and now all this talk of foil and envelopes and things. The ones I had were all chocolate with maybe some creamy/milky filling (no jam), and I think they came on a plastic tray in a big wrapper rather than individually wrapped. Am I thinking of something completely different?
    Both ‘mini’ varieties were available - chocolate/cream or sponge/jam. I preferred the latter. (Both individuality-wrapped and made by McVities IIRC? Other brands came in multipacks, I think.)

Comment

During my childhood stint in Palestine, we visited Jaffa occasionally to visit my parents' friends Rose and Paddy. She was as Yiddish mama as they come, he was originally from Tipperary but had stayed on in the local Police after leaving the British Army. I vaguely remember the orange groves.

My Mum shopped at 'Supersol', near the Jaffa Gate in Jerusalem. For some reason a British food promotion sticks in my mind. My brother and I were allowed to choose a treat each.

I picked Eccles cakes

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

Both ‘mini’ varieties were available - chocolate/cream or sponge/jam.
        You're confusing matters now. What you say implies that the chocolate version wasn't sponge. It was though. It was chocolate sponge.

"Chocolate sponge/cream or plain sponge/jam" would have been clearer.

Although there was also "plain sponge/cream" and "plain sponge/jam & cream".

Comment

Let me get this straight, people are saying chocolate mini rolls are hard to open without cracking the chocolate coating in their current packaging?

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post

I'm all for it - you can get more of them in a sandwich. And the Lemon/Lime and Raspberry versions are awesome - they went down very well with the Book Club.
            I can't stop laughing at this.

Comment

I have just demolished a pack of pineapple Jaffa cakes and I have to say they were phenomenal.

Comment

The closest thing to these Mini Rolls of which you speak that we had in New York were called Yodels (presumably because of the Swiss Roll connection). Chocolate only.

Comment

Although Mini Rolls were never subtitled Devil’s Food Cakes.

Comment

I think that may be the contemporary packaging, I don't recall it from back in the day.

With the exception of the ubiquitous Hostess and its Twinkies, confectionary of this sort in the US was regional. Drake's were our local champion. Tastycakes ruled in Philadelphia. "Store brands" were also regional, as our supermarkets are, even if they all get their product from the same manufacturer.

Comment

I’ve just stuck Jaffa Cakes on my to-buy list. Haven’t had one for years, but this thread has whet my appetite.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                        I have just demolished a pack of pineapple Jaffa cakes and I have to say they were phenomenal.
                        They are surprisingly good, aren't they? I've just finished off my packet with lunch.

I've been warned off the strawberry ones by a friend who has a very high tolerance threshold for snacks, so if she describes something as "rank" it's probably exrremely toxic.

Comment

At the corner shop today I bought a packet each of the Polish orange and cherry ones but didn't bother with strawberry. They fall down because the jelly isn't tart enough to provide a satisfying contrast with the cake and chocolate.

We only take a newspaper on Saturday now so those two packets are for the week rather than a single day's fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post

We only take a newspaper on Saturday now.
                            "Take" a newspaper. You're doing this on purpose, aren't you?

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                              "Take" a newspaper. You're doing this on purpose, aren't you?
                              I haven't been middle aged for as long as you; my attempts to master old speak are sometimes faltering.

Comment

I haven't been middle aged for as long as you; my attempts to master old speak are sometimes faltering.
                                You know, I just called my father (81) to ask about that. His verdict: ""Takes" a newspaper? Wanker."

I don't know where that leaves us, to be honest.

Comment

Your wanky mundane talk on the stupid Jaffa cake thread is probably why there's stupid Jaffa cake talk on the Mundane thread.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                    You know, I just called my father (81) to ask about that. His verdict: ""Takes" a newspaper? Wanker."

I don't know where that leaves us, to be honest.
                                    You could visit him in person to double check? Sometimes the detail and nuance of face to face conversation can be lost on the phone.

I'm not sure that I believe in this phone call, given that your father is the regular host of his bowls team's Zoom party at this time on Saturday nights.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                      Your wanky mundane talk on the stupid Jaffa cake thread is probably why there's stupid Jaffa cake talk on the Mundane thread.
                                      Look, here's a board game. Go play it, win, and, when you're all played out, come back and edit your post.

Comment

You could visit him in person to double check? Sometimes the detail and nuance of face to face conversation can be lost on the phone.

I'm not sure that I believe in this phone call, given that your father is the regular host of his bowls team's Zoom party at this time on Saturday nights.
                                        To be honest, my father's more of an Instagram gangsta. "Reg? Cliff? Am I up to do the windmill now, or is it your turn?"

Comment

He's into breakdancing? That is a genuinely unexpected development.

Comment

Don't listen to him about windmills. There isn't even one on his wanky teutonic golf course.

Comment

Windmills? Big fan.

Comment

He's into breakdancing? That is a genuinely unexpected development.
                                                No, no, he was into breakdancing. Now he just swivels his cock on camera.

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post
                                                  I’ve just stuck Jaffa Cakes on my to-buy list. Haven’t had one for years, but this thread has whet my appetite.
                                                  This. Not sure of my chances, but I’ll be on the lookout.

Comment

Ms Felicity reminded me that Inter-railing in Yugoslavia in 84 we bought many packets of Sarajevo Winter Olympics souvenir Jaffa cakes, with the wolf mascot on. We think there’s an empty box/packet in the loft.
                                                    There was a lot of variation in how fresh/stale they were, but vegetarian options were few.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X