The thread devoted entirely to jaffa cakes and "jaffa cakes"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post

See also Mini Rolls. I call bullshit on anyone who says that they've managed to get one out of the wrapper 100% intact... and I'm saying that as the one person on Earth who has managed to get an entirely unbroken tube of Pringles.
    What is wrong with you? Do you open them with boxing gloves and a rolling pin?

Comment

Don't think I've had a Mini-Roll since I was young (ooh err, missus, etc), however I don't recall any particular problems removing the wrappers.

I mean, unless one were to examine said confection with one of those microscopes they use to prove that a snooker ball is less-perfect a sphere than the Earth.

Comment

I've just come back from our weekly shop from Sainsbury's. I have now realised that I forgot to buy some pineapple jaffa cakes.

I wouldn't mind but I let a couple of angry people, who seemed to be racing with me to get to the end of the queue, reach the end of the queue before me..

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
          Don't think I've had a Mini-Roll since I was young (ooh err, missus, etc), however I don't recall any particular problems removing the wrappers.

I mean, unless one were to examine said confection with one of those microscopes they use to prove that a snooker ball is less-perfect a sphere than the Earth.
          Without calling your childhood deftness into question, in days of yore Mini-Rolls were wrapped in a piece of foil. Now they come in a sealed plastic envelope which presents a different challenge.

Comment

Stop derailing the thread you lot.

Everyone used to eat all the chocolate off the outside of the mini-rolls first, though, didn't we? Along with running your fingernail along the 'join' at the bottom to scrape out some jam and cream. A far superior snack deconstruction than splitting an oreo, which seems to be the modern equivalent.

Comment

And another thing, how come Mr. Kipling stopped making Jaffa Fingers?

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                Without calling your childhood deftness into question, in days of yore Mini-Rolls were wrapped in a piece of foil. Now they come in a sealed plastic envelope which presents a different challenge.
                Ah. That I did not know: I was indeed in 'foil' mode.

I shall therefore withdraw my previous assumption until the current packaging has been negotiated.

Don't wait up.

Comment

It's been a long time, and now I don't know how any of this shit works now. Hopefully this will.

Three pages on Jaffa Cakes, and no mention of their French cousins, Genoises Cakes? I was in Paris last year and they had them then, and the Carrefour website still has them available for purchase. Kind of weird that they call them "cakes", but we live in the post-truth age, I guess.

I think I *may* have argued with TonTon about their merits on Twitter last year, but to be fair that could have been on something else snack-related.

White chocolate and cherry, like the bastard offspring of a Jaffa Cake and a bakewell tart. They also seem to make them in raspberry and blackcurrant flavour too, by the looks of it.

https://drive.carrefour.eu/fr/Achete...0-g/p/01672229

Comment

(I didn't read the first post closely enough, but at least there's a link now which proves that they exist)

Comment

Brilliant to see you.

How did you miss the Pim's discussion?

Do you have Fussbudget and me on Ignore Poster?

Comment

At the moment that I was *trying* to read this thread, I was simultaneously being assaulted by a 4 year old and a 2 year old who have barely left this house for the last six weeks. They were arguing about who should be playing with which monster truck, and for some reason my input was deemed important.

Comment

Yes, lovely to see you back Ian.

Comment

Ah, right. I didn't realise that a) middle-aged men eat Mini-Rolls and b) people born in the 1970s regard opening an envelope as a "challenge".

It's what you do, it's what you are.

Comment

D
                              Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
                              At the moment that I was *trying* to read this thread, I was simultaneously being assaulted by a 4 year old and a 2 year old who have barely left this house for the last six weeks. They were arguing about who should be playing with which monster truck, and for some reason my input was deemed important.
                              Just be grateful it’s not 2 two year olds arguing over one bike when there is another bike, which is the exact same in every single way, sat less than a couple of meters away.

Kids are great....

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

Come on, then - don't leave us hanging...
                                I can't actually remember what it was now but I think it was something about the Pope using Jaffa Cakes instead of communion wafers.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                  Ah, right. I didn't realise that a) middle-aged men eat Mini-Rolls and b) people born in the 1970s regard opening an envelope as a "challenge".

It's what you do, it's what you are.
                                  I'm not middle-aged... yet. And yes, opening an envelope can be tricky if it's one of those Mylar ones you get if you buy a book online. Modern Mini Rolls are similarly hermetically sealed.

Comment

I am middle aged as people a few years younger than treibeis tend to be. Treibeis himself is very middle aged, pending the outcome of his application for fast track admission to being an ornery old coot.

To recap, the specific difficulty 3CR alluded to was not opening a Mini Roll per se, it was opening a Mini Roll without cracking the chocolate shell. I suspect that some of the doubters are actually thinking to themselves, "Mini Rolls have a chocolate shell?"

Comment

I could have sworn I'd had mini rolls before, but I'm confused by PT mentioning jam, and now all this talk of foil and envelopes and things. The ones I had were all chocolate with maybe some creamy/milky filling (no jam), and I think they came on a plastic tray in a big wrapper rather than individually wrapped. Am I thinking of something completely different?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                        Stop derailing the thread you lot.

Everyone used to eat all the chocolate off the outside of the mini-rolls first, though, didn't we? Along with running your fingernail along the 'join' at the bottom to scrape out some jam and cream. A far superior snack deconstruction than splitting an oreo, which seems to be the modern equivalent.
                                        No, and no, in that order. Give me a slice of Battenburg mind, and it was a different matter:

1. Peel off marzipan, roll into ball, place at side of plate;
                                        2. Detach four squares from one another;
                                        3. Eat pink squares;
                                        4. Eat yellow squares;
                                        5. Eat marzipan ball.

Delayed gratification aged 7.

Comment

My Name Is Ian lovely to see you.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                            I could have sworn I'd had mini rolls before, but I'm confused by PT mentioning jam, and now all this talk of foil and envelopes and things. The ones I had were all chocolate with maybe some creamy/milky filling (no jam), and I think they came on a plastic tray in a big wrapper rather than individually wrapped. Am I thinking of something completely different?
                                            No, I don't think you are.

In the 1970s - when Benjm was still in nappies whereas I already had two mortgages and three failed marriages behind me - there were chocolate-coated mini-rolls like the ones you describe and there were mini-rolls that were yellow and filled with jam and/or cream. The latter came in a chocolate-coated and a "naked" version.

I had no specific way of eating them, other than "properly"; if my mother had caught me playing with my food, she'd have swiped me round the head with a wet dishcloth.

Comment

To recap, the specific difficulty 3CR alluded to was not opening a Mini Roll per se, it was opening a Mini Roll without cracking the chocolate shell. I suspect that some of the doubters are actually thinking to themselves, "Mini Rolls have a chocolate shell?"
                                              You see this guy? This guy just gets it, man.

Comment

I have no recollection of jam in mini rolls. Sounds like an abomination to me.

Comment

I’ll just leave this, which flashed up on Facebook, here:

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                                    I have no recollection of jam in mini rolls. Sounds like an abomination to me.
                                                    Available with or without.

My mother in law and my grandmother both like Mini Rolls so I have no qualms about them.

They're another one that has had inflation by stealth of late, I think. Jaffa Cakes certainly have, with the £1 price being held, the quantity per box has fallen from 12 to 10 and sometimes 9. I only get them when on a multibuy.

And I think Mini Rolls have gone from 6 to 5 though I might be mistaken.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X