Quitting Smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quitting Smoking

So when I knocked the fags on the head, it was because while I liked them, they were bad for me. And I think this place is too.

This isn't about making a point about anyone else - it's customary to make some grandstanding speech about how "this was a good place once", but if that's true then I have as much responsibility for it as anyone. I think I've become more intolerant over the last few years, as have other people - the Corbyn era seemed to push the tyranny of small differences up for all of us. I'm not bored with typing here, I'm bored with having the same arguments with the same people over and over again and none of us getting anywhere. So I'm going to knock it on the head.

Thanks to all those I've become friends with IRL over the years, whether they still post here or not. Thanks to those who've encouraged my work away from here. Thanks to those who've sent messages defending me at times. And thanks also to all those who've disagreed with me, abusively, urbanely or whatever, because that's been one of the exciting, stimulating things about this place. Ad Hoc said something earlier today about being pushed to think about other people's point of view (this is my memory, apologies if inaccurate) and that's been great about OTF.

So when I stopped smoking I threw the packet and the lighter away, which is the point of this post. It's a full stop.

Going to miss you.

And hoping that, like my sister, you have to stop more than once...

Comment

Good luck Lucy.

Comment

Look after yourself LW.

Comment

I shall miss your very good book recommendations. It's been great, and be well.

Comment

Genuinely sorry to lose you LW

Comment

What everyone else said. Sorry to lose you, and also sorry to lose a different perspective on things. Be well.

Comment

Can I strongly advise you to reconsider, Lucy.

Take a short break and then, when you come back, view and post on the threads that entertain you and make you happy and give those that don't a wide berth.

Comment

I almost posted on t'other thread to say "Look lads, give it a break, you're not getting anywhere." This wasn't what I meant.

I do worry increasingly about any public discourse. I've just looked on twitter (an increasingly rare experience) and on the Labour anti-semitism report there's two entirely separate camps talking past each other (or just abusing each other). As there is on every fucking issue.

Comment

Echo this. The loudest voices aren't always the clearest.

(edit: there's the ignore poster function for, y'know)
                    Last edited by Auntie Beryl; 13-04-2020, 21:21.

Comment

Sorry to see you go, can I just echo what others have said, take a break, use ignore poster and stick to what you like. These aren't the times to be diminishing your circle unless it's bad for you and your health.

Comment

Everything that Nocturnal Submission said.
                        It's always disappointing when someone leaves, especially someone who can sometimes have different views to others. You'll be missed if you stay away..

Comment

I think it's a shame when anyone leaves the board because of a disagreement. It doesn't reflect well on the person they disagreed with regardless of who is actually right, which is often secondary.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                            I think it's a shame when anyone leaves the board because of a disagreement. It doesn't reflect well on the person they disagreed with regardless of who is actually right, which is often secondary.
                            Disagree with that.

I'm sorry that Lucy left, have had productive disagreements with him in the past and have learned a great deal from his contributions. He was a very valuable member of the board and I hope he'll reconsider.

However this case he found himself comparing the harrassment of black women by the most senior managers in a work WhatsApp group to a group of friends private chat.

it's scarcely surprising that a number of people criticised him. I think the fact he decided to leave reveals something about the inconsistency of his own position.
                            Last edited by Nefertiti2; 14-04-2020, 12:09.

Comment

Well, this isn’t good.

After re-reading what I wrote on the AS thread yesterday, I winced at what I said about Lucy Waterman. LW, if you’re reading this then let me extend you my apologies. There was no need for me to go studs-in and I was out of order. True, I think we hold diametrically-opposed positions when it comes to Labour and leftwing politics and we’re never going to agree on a number of things, but the fault is mine for allowing my anger to surface. Please don’t feel that you need to leave OTF. If it’s any help, I’m not likely to post much anymore largely because of my tendency towards outbursts like yesterday’s. It's ugly, it's unnecessary and I won't be doing it anymore. Stay safe.

Comment

Oh dear, it looks like I managed to avoid a nasty stramash. But I'll venture a guess that LW is saying goodbye because he is taking away disagreements on the Internet onto his pillow, wondering how to respond to a slight in a killer way. He has realised that it's just not worth it.

Don't feel guilty, RC, that it might have been your tackle that ended a career. There were others before you. It's usually an accumulation of frustrations.

The weird thing is, if we met face-to-face with our OTF adversaries, we'd almost certainly like one another. I bet Nefertiti would fall in love with me in real life, but on OTF, Nefertiti fucking hates me. I'd like to tell LW not to take these things to heart, but if you do, it's best to remove yourself. Many have done so, and (I say this with a wink and a smile) managed to survive.

But I do hope LW will come back, and like all the others who announced their farewell and then came back, the pub will be cheering his name by way of welcome. So I hope to see you back soon, Lucy Waterman.

Comment

wise words G-Man

Comment

I'm sorry that Lucy has left. Though I've only just realised, reading the posts above, that Lucy is a bloke. Not that it matters of course. Interested as to how people know - did Lucy make that clear at some point?

Comment

Tr
                                      Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                      Oh dear, it looks like I managed to avoid a nasty stramash. But I'll venture a guess that LW is saying goodbye because he is taking away disagreements on the Internet onto his pillow, wondering how to respond to a slight in a killer way. He has realised that it's just not worth it.

Don't feel guilty, RC, that it might have been your tackle that ended a career. There were others before you. It's usually an accumulation of frustrations.

The weird thing is, if we met face-to-face with our OTF adversaries, we'd almost certainly like one another. I bet Nefertiti would fall in love with me in real life, but on OTF, Nefertiti fucking hates me. I'd like to tell LW not to take these things to heart, but if you do, it's best to remove yourself. Many have done so, and (I say this with a wink and a smile) managed to survive.

But I do hope LW will come back, and like all the others who announced their farewell and then came back, the pub will be cheering his name by way of welcome. So I hope to see you back soon, Lucy Waterman.
                                      Don’t flatter yourself, G-Man, I dont hate you. I just don’t like some of the stupid things you write on here. Don’t imagine that I’d fall in love with you in real life, assuming you say the same kind of stuff.

Anyone who ends up defending a small gang of powerful people harassing political opponents (especially when those political opponents include the very few senior black figures in their own party) has a problem.

When that was done at the expense of investigating anti-Semitism in the Labour Party there are serious questions to answer. Especially when apparent fury at antisemitism had motivated his wing of the party for years.

The arrogant contempt with which the Blarite clique in the Labour Party have treated their supporters ( like Lucy) to say nothing of what they’ve done to their opponents is so disgraceful but I’m not surprised Lucy felt he had no choice but to do a runner.

I imagine having defended those people and their position on here for so long he must feel as betrayed as a devoted Stalinist hearing reports of Krushchev’s speech in 1956.

Comment

Oh, Nefertiti, you really are very hard to like, and still I love you.

Comment

Working...
                                        X