Help me use my phone as a hotspot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me use my phone as a hotspot

The institutional internet I use is really ropy at the minute, so I'm trying to set up my phone to use it as a wi-fi hotspot for my laptop. But despite following the standard instructions (such as these - https://www.lifewire.com/use-your-an...otspot-2377915) it won't work. My laptop sees the hotspot and can connect to it, but there is no internet. My phone can't see the network and I don't understand why not. How does this stuff work?

I use an iphone, but it refuses to work as an internet hotspot if the phone itself is connected to the local wifi - the hot spot has to work from my phone's data. I have no idea if this is your problem, but it's usually what scuppers me and I spend ten minutes trying to work out what the problem is before I finally remember to switch wifi off in the settings.

Comment

Thanks. That doesn't solve the problem but it helps. How very unintuitive.

I think the issue is that my phone doesn't seem to want to use its own data, and I don't know how to fix that.

Comment

I've never been able to hotspot using wifi, only mobile data.

Comment

Yes, when I get caught with this one, it is because the wifi is still on the phone (and the wifi is down, which is why I'm using the phone as a hotspot in the first place). Your best way of checking is to plug the phone into the laptop USB and make sure Wifi is switched off on both.

Comment

Is Cellular Data On in the settings?

Comment

Is that the same as Mobile Data? If so, yes.

WiFi is off on the phone, but if I switch it off on the laptop then the laptop won't see any networks at all. I plugged phone into the USB but it didn't give me any more options. I tried pairing the laptop and phone using bluetooth but that didn't work.

The thing is, my phone will only connect to the internet by connecting to a Wifi i.e. I have to connect to the same wifi as I do with my laptop. I think that's the problem. How does it connect to its own data? The phone can only connect to the net if Wifi is on, but then the hotspot disappears. If I turn Wifi off and hotspot on then the network appears on my laptop, and I can connect to it, but it isn't connected to the intenet. Does this make sense?

I was going to ask O2 but they seem to have removed their 'ask an advisor' facility. I did post on their user forum.
              Last edited by delicatemoth; 14-04-2020, 10:55.

Comment

It's possible your mobile plan doesn't allow hotspot usage. Do you have any other device to test it with?

Comment

I'm afraid not. Hopefully the forum post might get some answers. Thanks to everyone who's tried to help.

Comment

Do you have the terms of your plan anywhere?

Comment

All I can find is what's contained in MyO2 - monthly rate, minute allowance, data allowance. No mention of being able or unable to hotspot. O2 are actually a bit thick, they still have my old name despite me changing it nearly five years ago and telling them that more than once.

Comment

*small voice* I turned it off and back on, and that sorted it. Thank you everyone.

Comment

I've done this once when I was on my way to work as there was a long delay waiting for the train. I had my work laptop with me so used my phone's data and turned it into a hotspot for the laptop.

It got through the vast majority of the month's data allowance in a matter of minutes. Laptops can be thirsty things it seems.

Comment

Working...
                          X