No announcement yet.

Easter Eggs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On closer inspection, the yellow bit on top of a Fried Egg Whip, which seemed to represent the yolk at first glance, is actually a complete mini egg itself. This has really thrown me. Who fries whole eggs in their shells? It's almost weird enough to be a Roman banquet dish. Perhaps that is it, a touching Easter tribute to the egg dishes of Our Lord's time.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

How do you know that I have a pair of trainers?
      I don't know for sure, I just assumed. Don't all middle-aged men in Britain have at least one pair of "trainers" for non-sport use?

Comment

Middle-aged? How kind.

I do have a pair of trainers. They are what I wear when I go out to not-work. And I have a pair of shoes, which are what I wear when I go out to work.

Comment

Anyway, after all that talk of jaffa cakes and shoes, just to let you all know I finished my Easter Egg with lunch today. It was yummy. And now it's gone.

Comment

Here we are again! What eggs have you got?

Comment

No eggs.

Comment

Sadface

Comment

The missus made me a small Easter basket of little eggs and things that I got a day early as I’m travelling this morning. It included stuff I brought back from the UK a couple of months ago. Dime (Dajm?) filled Dairy Milk mini egg was very good. Kinder Joy Egg was utterly baffling and seemed to involve a QR code. Mallow-top Reeses was surprisingly decent. I have still to eat my annual Crème Egg and need to summon up the courage.

Comment

I got Mrs and Ms Slacks a Hotel Chocolat one each, and Mrs Slacks mum a Lindor jobbie. And in return I got ONE lousy Maltesers Egg. Oh well, better than nuffink I suppose...

Comment

I bought three for Mrs Slightly and the step kids. Mrs Slightly bought me four beers. Nice. She didn’t have to hide them in the garden, though.

Comment

I bought a couple of Waitrose own-brand chocolate eggs for my kids, as the eggs seemed to be better value than the bog standard hollow-egg-with-a-few-chocolates-in-a-big-box-with-lots-of-foil-and-plastic-wrapping-for-about-three-times-the price-that-the-edible-ingredients-would-have-cost-separately alternatives. Eggs in mugs seem, mercifully, to be becoming less common.

Anyway, my son is out of the country and won't be home until the middle of next month, but it'll be nice for him to find the egg in his bedside table drawer, and my daughter, having reached the antagonistically contrary stage of teenage development, has said that she doesn't want one, so I'll offer it to her later and if her position hasn't changed it will be a nice evening treat for Mrs. NS and me.

Comment

We have our easter confectionery from Hotel Chocolat as per. I have a "patisserie" egg from the "extra thick" range. Gorgeous.

Comment

I was visiting daughter in Leiden last week, so took the opportunity to buy a few bags of solid, small eggs from both Jumbo and Hema, as gifts for people back here. I've had to sample the product, just to make sure they pass the taste test. They pass - Hema eggs are better than Jumbo, by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                              Sadface
                              I simply don't like chocolate. And I've just asked our son, and he prefers oranges to chocolate.

Comment

Of course.

Comment

No eggs. But then the one I got last year lasted until about September (the same as TonTon's this year IIRC) not because I didn't like it (the opposite), but because I just never got around to eating it. So no real loss there.

Comment

I'm working this weekend so it hasn't felt much like Easter, and consequently I completely forgot eggs for the kids until first thing this morning. I had no idea that Easter Sunday was still observed in some ways in this country, still less that the few shops that were open round here had already taken down their Easter eggs before today. At the fifth shop of asking, I finally managed to find a couple, but what I'd presumed when I left the house would be a five minute walk down to the nearest Co-Op (open, but no Easter eggs to be found) ended up taking the best part of an hour.

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
                                      I'm working this weekend so it hasn't felt much like Easter
                                      What is Easter meant to feel like for non-believers? It's always good to hsve a holiday, and maybe Christmas should stay, but why not replace the whole ressurection nonsense with a holiday based around the spring equinox and then another around May Day? None of this moveable feast nonsense, Modern countries are supposed to be secular.

Comment

In this country, it would probably be replaced by Captain Sir Bobby Tom Moore & Maggie Freedom Weekend, and I think I prefer the quiet of Easter to that. (All it really means to me is a four-day weekend for a lot of people that isn't Christmas.)

Comment

Is it just a direct choice between oranges and chocolate to represent the rebirth of Christ/arrival of spring?

Comment

Mrs Thistle has a Cadbury Buttons Egg. Her traditional choice. I asked not to have one. She gave me some grape flavour American sweets that I like instead.

Comment

My mum bought me and my husband two dark chocolate Easter eggs, one with coffee and one with mint. She also bought the kids a big bag of individually wrapped little chocolate eggs, to go with the individually wrapped little chocolate chicks and bunny rabbits that she gave me last month and forgot about. My parents in law bought the kids a 'blonde' drizzled egg each (i.e. white chocolate eggs) and we bought one malteser egg and one minstrel egg for the kids. This would have been far too much chocolate for two small kids but fortunately we went round a friend's house for a barbecue today and they also have two small children so I managed to use the little eggs, chicks and bunnies for a garden Easter egg hunt and divide them between four children instead of two. Each child still ended up with 25 small pieces of chocolate each. It will probably last them until summer.

Comment

A couple of friends, who've just been to Mayo for a wedding, brought us back some Butlers Drumshanbo Gunpowder Irish Gin chocolate, so that's our egg...

Comment

Sod buying eggs for me, my Mum always buys them for the kids next door. As this includes Argyle midfielder Adam Randell, quite frankly I don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

What is Easter meant to feel like for non-believers? It's always good to hsve a holiday, and maybe Christmas should stay, but why not replace the whole ressurection nonsense with a holiday based around the spring equinox and then another around May Day? None of this moveable feast nonsense, Modern countries are supposed to be secular.
                                                    It's time we "non-believers" claimed Easter back for ourselves. Like most Christian celebrations, Easter is a pagan festival that was hijacked by the church to help convert heathens.
                                                    The term "Easter" is derived from the Anglo-Saxon / Germanic goddess Eostre / Ostara, who was honoured in the month of April with festivals to celebrate fertility, renewal and re-birth. (It is from Eostre that the naming of the fertility hormone Eostrogen comes)

The Goddess Ostara has the shoulders and head of a hare (the origins of the Easter bunny), and in pagan tradition the hare was believed to die daily in order to be reborn and so is a symbol of immortality, as well as fertility as the hare can conceive again while still pregnant.
                                                    The hare is also a symbol of pagan lunar goddesses, which is why the festivals of Eostre / Ostara follow the cycles of the full moon, and not a specific date.

The egg (for obvious reasons) symbolises birth, fertility, creation, and many pagan traditions the egg is a symbol for the universe.
                                                    Sod all to do with a stone and a cave.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X