No announcement yet.

Transport + Covid 19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To add something said by BB&F up thread about the rail worker who apparently died after being spat on, she didn't.

Police decide to take no further action over the death of Belly Mujinga, who died with coronavirus.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post
      The railway staff were 100% correct IMO.

This is the problem, people are going to read in their Daily Mail that the lockdown is lifted, so are going to assume that they can do what they want and go where they want.
      The bored, the underemployed, and especially pensioners will be filling public transport and making it harder for essential users (i.e. those going to work).

The buses today were 75% people who didn't need to be out. The first bus was a double decker, so those of us who aren't lazy or stupid were able to go upstairs and distance, but the downstairs "saloon" was much fuller and they were having loud, droplet spreading conversations with each other, while sitting on the outside seats because their shopping bags sit by the window.
      My second bus route an empty double decker skipped my stop, and the duplicate service was a single with all allowed seats already taken. The two of us who got on were masked up, but the driver then wouldn't let people on at other stops.

I might have to start walking to work, I fear. It takes 40 minutes or so, but hills mean it's quite tiring - if it was a Tour de France stage, it wouldn't necessarily be a day for the climbers, but it wouldn't be one for the sprinters either. Lots of uncategorised climbs and descents, and a killer last half mile to a summit (OK, hilltop) finish. A bike is out of the question for this reason, I hate climbing hills.
      My job is quite active in terms of movement and being on my feet, so I'll be knackered/get fitter if I do it.

Comment

So, twice I was on hold to Easyjet for over 30 minutes and twice the call dropped a minute into finally getting to talk to someone. And our flight booking has mysteriously rerouted itself out of Liverpool without telling us.

Comment

Compulsory face mask from 15th of June on all public transports.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post
            Compulsory face mask from 15th of June on all public transports.
            In eleven days' time.

Comment

11 more days to build that herd immunity I guess.

Long overdue, should have been introduced with the lockdown.

Bus use (on my buses) has gone down this week, possibly non-essential travellers have been put off by all the seating stickers etc, or maybe some people have actually carried out their idle threat to walk to work or make other arrangements.

Huddersfield is back to the standard weekday timetable now, which I guess also dilutes the numbers.
              Halifax has frustratingly remained on its special timetable, which means I still don't have a connection for my Friday late night, as my bus home is operated by them lot.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                Bus use (on my buses) has gone down this week, possibly non-essential travellers have been put off by all the seating stickers etc, or maybe some people have actually carried out their idle threat to walk to work or make other arrangements.
                Daughter was told yesterday she can go back to school (half days only) from 15 June, so this evening I told her about the mask requirements coming in the same day. After an initial reaction of "I'll just walk then", she is now browsing boohoo and its equivalents for masks, as apparently they are suddenly quite the fashion item.

Comment

I have ordered two masks from this company:

https://www.plumo.com/categories/Protective-Masks/

Comment

I took this picture on Sunday of London Bridge looking northbound. As you can see, the southbound carriageway on the right is being dug up so the pavement can be extended for social isolation. Initially it's for 18 months but I reckon it'll be permanent.

Comment

It it going to be one way for buses? Seems like a tight fit otherwise.

Comment

The northbound carriageway on the left is now two way operation for buses, taxis and cyclists only.

Comment

Gerry Leadbetter will be even more pissed off than usual.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                            Gerry Leadbetter will be even more pissed off than usual.
                            That made me laugh, have a like for that!

Comment

This is sad, a man had a heart attack and died whilst travelling from Manchester to Stockport. His dead body wasn't found until the train got to Bournemouth as train staff have been told not to interact with the passengers. But five hours on a Voyager, the poor man!

A passenger who suffered a heart attack on a cross country train from Manchester Piccadilly to Bournemouth sat dead for more than five hours before being discovered by a cleaner.

Comment

That happened over three weeks ago. And the person had got on the train at Stockport to travel south, they hadn't been dead for five hours.

Comment

Well if you want to travel by ferry to France or Spain you'll have the opportunity from the end of June.

No large groups, no bicycles or on foot so you'll need your car and it will be at reduced capacity but I wonder if those at the top know something and this means the 14-day quarantine won't apply by then.

Comment

Sailings starting out of Plymouth and Portsmouth from the 29th June, this has got to be good news!

After weeks of scenario planning and closely following what is happening with travel restrictions in all markets, I am pleased to confirm our plans for a staggered resumption of passenger services, beginning as early as next Monday, 29 June. ?

Comment

Face masks are to be made compulsory on all public transport in Ireland. The minister concerned, Shane Ross, lost his seat in the election four months ago.

Comment

And now it starts, big cuts to the budget at TfL, Met Police and London Fire Brigade:

The cuts are being proposed due to a loss in revenue from Council Tax due to the coronavirus pandemic

Comment

Working...
                                        X